Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

This is Looking Awesome,Kit :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You're Doing an Awesome & Superb Job! maybe You should go a Little Cheeky and Send a Photo of Your finished Model to the RN and See What They Think? & Also put a Copy of the Pic @ a Model Show and See How Many JMNs Get Confused :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: just a Few Thoughts. Dan

NARSES2

Kit I'm not being facetious but I honestly think you should enter that into the Miscellaneous section at the SMW contest. Almost as is rather than as painted.

It seriously is an incredible piece of work  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Thanks for the flattery, I'm suitably embarrassed.  ;D

If I entered it in the 'Misc' category at Telford as is, I'd have to build ANOTHER one to hold up the Monterey though.  :o

Maybe I'll paint it and enter it in 'Misc' but with photos of it as it is at the moment. do you think that'd work?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

as the saying goes Kit  " proper job"  :thumbsup:
look splendid.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

TheChronicOne

I'm wit' me esteemed colleagues...    your work is choice!! Definitely get that bad boy entered into SOMETHING!

-Sprues McDuck-

Scotaidh

I'm in awe ... No way could I ever even approximate that level of detail.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Keep up the good work!  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on August 08, 2017, 03:49:43 PM

I'm in awe ... No way could I ever even approximate that level of detail.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Keep up the good work!  :)

Before I started on this I didn't think I could either. But I broke each part into shapes and worked out how to do them part by part. If you don't look too far ahead and think about the enormity of the task it's not quite so bad.  ;D

I've just checked the dates and since I discovered that I'd lost all the detail bits of the trolley it's taken me SEVEN weeks of graft doing this.  :banghead: :banghead:

I should also add that without some excellent ideas that some of you good guys here came up with I wouldn't have got this far by now either.  Thanks very much for all the help.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 08, 2017, 08:36:26 AM

Maybe I'll paint it and enter it in 'Misc' but with photos of it as it is at the moment. do you think that'd work?

Why not ? Do the rules let you inc. in-progress shots ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 09, 2017, 06:12:04 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 08, 2017, 08:36:26 AM

Why not ? Do the rules let you inc. in-progress shots ?

AFAIK they let you supply any sort of supporting documentation.

I recall the vast amount I produced for my Boeing 777-900? I think I had four A4 sheets of stuff on display with that!  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Back on the aircraft itself now, thank goodness. I've started filling in the yawning gaps between the Valiant's IFR hosereel assembly and the P6M's rotating bomb door. Needless to say, as this is a Mach 2 kit, the bomb door isn't the same on each side.  :banghead: :banghead:

I've fitted some brackets inside the bomb bay hole in the fuselage to the bomb door slots in to the correct depth each time, and I've modified the fuel transfer tank that sits forward of the hosereel to look something like the one that the P6M carried. It won't be 100% accurate as but as there's only one pic of the thing anywhere I doubt many JMNs will argue the toss. [Just noticed I've got the bomb bay door the wrong way round in the pic.....]

The rather odd looking T shaped thing to the right is a blanking plug for the weapon loading bay. I had intended to use the upper fuselage parts I'd cut out as the weapons loading platform, but the styrene is too thick by a factor of about three, so I'll have to scratchbuild the entire loading platform. That being so I thought I'd make the blanking plug so it can look clean and smooth sometimes.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, I forgot to mention I broke the MAD boom off for the THIRD time, so this time it's staying off until I start painting the model and then it'll have a piano wire rod glued down the centre or it.

THAT should sort it!  :wacko:

Regards
Kit

McColm

PR19_Kit

I've been working on the IFR hosereel and transfer tank today, and it's starting to look somewhat like the full size version now. Pics of both below. The various bits of the tank needed oodles of PSR naturally, but after FIVE lots I think I've done enough of that now!  :banghead:

I've started work on the weapon loading platform, and it's very fragile at the moment, but should be stronger when I've added a few reinforcements.

Regards
Kit

CammNut

My gob continues to be smacked

TheChronicOne

Go for the gusto, Kit!!  The bigger the challenge, the better the work...  impressive! 

I have got to get me one of these...  I really like the whole shape of the plane, to be honest... the swept back wings and T tail... it just looks really good to my eye.
-Sprues McDuck-