Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 19, 2017, 02:19:02 AM
Quote from: CammNut on August 18, 2017, 03:13:57 PM
He has sailed past madder and is well on his way to maddest, which is to be admired

Isn't that a shade of red ?  ;) ;D

After sanding all those blasted air bags, that'd describe my colour exactly!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

It'll be worth it Kit. (Said in the type of voice doctors use when talking to patients  ;);D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 20, 2017, 01:11:57 AM
It'll be worth it Kit. (Said in the type of voice doctors use when talking to patients  ;);D ;D

The "caring, encouraging" type or the "suck it up, princess" type? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 20, 2017, 02:03:38 AM

The sounding "caring, encouraging" type when they are really thinking "oh not this one again"  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 21, 2017, 06:37:35 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 20, 2017, 02:03:38 AM

The sounding "caring, encouraging" type when they are really thinking "oh not this one again"  ;)

I'm encouraged by your attitude Chris, thanks.  ;D

I tried to do some more work on the weapons loading platform but found some of my pre-cut parts wouldn't fit, despite them being made to scale from my true scaled drawings.

Digging further revealed that I'd screwed up the first assembly, and it's not fixable, so I'll have to scrap it and start over. I'm not too worried, it never looked right to me, and it wasn't!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've now got two coats of RAF Blue/Grey over most of the beaching trolley, and it's looking rather strange in a totally different colour, but we'll see how it goes when I add the detail colours.

I've also finished the cockpit colours so it's full speed ahead on fitting the canopy. That's not too easy as it wasn't meant for this kit anyway, but some styrene sheet and LOTS of putty should do it.

I've not even thought about doing a new weapon loading platform yet, it'll need some sort of radical structure to enable it to be strong enough, now that I know the correct shape of the thing.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Amongst all the other odds and ends that I'm trying to do on this model, fitting the canopy is one of the more tricky ones. Even though the Anigrand canopy wasn't meant to fit the Mach 2 fuselage in the first place, the mating surfaces at the sides and back fit almost perfectly, but the forward end and the forward curved corners don't fit at all, leaving large gaps to fill.

I've devised a system of bedding the canopy's forward edges into a 'platform' of putty, with a small piece of polythene sheet in between to stop the putty sticking to the canopy. Amazingly it seems to work quite well, and I'm waiting for the second lot of putty to dry off now, and I'm hopeful that it will be all that's needed, after some precision sanding and filing of course.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Good thinking!!! I'll have to remember that lil trick.  :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 24, 2017, 03:02:19 AM
Good thinking, 99! :thumbsup:

He's not just a pretty face is he?

You won't know what to do with yourself Kit when you finish this and crack open a new model that fits properly.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 24, 2017, 03:05:13 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 24, 2017, 03:02:19 AM
Good thinking, 99! :thumbsup:

He's not just a pretty face is he?

You won't know what to do with yourself Kit when you finish this and crack open a new model that fits properly.

ARE there any models that fit properly?  :banghead:

Oh yes, all the new Airfix stuff, I'll make sure I do one of them next for sure.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

An Airfix Spitfire PR19 should help nicely.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

You might think that I've been swinging the lead on the Monterey the last few days due to the lack of reports. Well to a certain extent I have been, but I've been pratting about doing all sorts of small jobs, like re-attaching the MAD probe, this time with a piano wire core so it won't break again!

Then I've re-cut and attached the forward ECM aerial on the fin fairing, but mainly I've been waiting for the putty to go hard under the canopy front end. There's four layers on there and it's taken for EVER to harden off, but it's OK tonight and I've filed and sanded it to shape, and painted it all matt black.

I've also added a couple of doo-dahs to the canopy and hopefully I'll be able to glue it in place late tonight or tomorrow.

The trolley has had some detail painting done, but there's a lot needed and I have to wait for one colour to dry before I can start another.

Such is modelling life......

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 29, 2017, 10:42:23 PM

How is PSR going on?  :-\

Most of it's done, but I expect some more areas will appear once I've got the next primer coats on.

I'll have to recut come of the panel lines too, which are usual Mach 2 mix of perfection to non-existence.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit