Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The primer looks good as a base coat ready for weathering :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

It's not a glider any more, I've fitted the engines in position.

As the RAF wanted RR Conways instead of the US P&W J-75s they need more intake flow so the cowlings are mounted higher to enlarge the intake area, and the tailpipes are larger, done by sawing the existing ones back about 10 mm.

Needless to say lots of PSR will be needed on them before they're acceptable, but I was surprised how well they fitted around the quite complex area near the wing trailing edges.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Looking good. Despite the kit maker being what they are your aircraft itself has such a sleek and sexy look about it and I'd say you're doing justice so far.   :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

You can add a pair of auxiliary engines for extra power, like on the Beriev A40 or Be-200.
I can't on mine as the engines are shoulder mounted.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on July 01, 2017, 07:16:59 PM
You can add a pair of auxiliary engines for extra power, like on the Beriev A40 or Be-200.
I can't on mine as the engines are shoulder mounted.

With four RCo42 Conways it's not exactly lacking in power!  ;D

With the standard J-75s the airframe was Mach limited anyway, and for the RAF Monterey's the intention was to cruise on only two of the Conways while on patrol, just like the Nimrods did
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Cobra

This is Starting to Look like a Class AAA Cool Aircraft :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Kit, just wondering if You plan to Build Another Monterey? it would Look Cool in US Navy colors,the Name sounds like one the US Navy would use. Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

PR19_Kit

That would be a standard P6M-2 Seamaster in USN colours Dan, and they had around 15 of them anyway.

The first 'production' P6M-2 without the intake mods, and with an air data boom instead of the IFR probe.

And NO way am I ever going to put myself through the purgatory of building another Mach2 Seamaster kit! If one of the majors puts out a Seamaster I could be tempted to Whif another one, but I can't see that happening really.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 02, 2017, 01:02:03 AM

And NO way am I ever going to put myself through the purgatory of building another Mach2 Seamaster kit! If one of the majors puts out a Seamaster I could be tempted to Whif another one, but I can't see that happening really.

There's always the Anigrand kit Kit   ;D ;D ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 02, 2017, 05:33:41 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 02, 2017, 01:02:03 AM

There's always the Anigrand kit Kit   ;D ;D ;D
That's got problems as well, wrapping resin parts and the fuselage comes in four parts. Three line up and the other  it's a bit like the wings. One is fine and the other well it needs a bit of work done on it to get a good fit. The cockpit lines up on one side and the engines can cause many swear words, some I didn't know that I knew.
If only the two kits were compatible, you might be able to build something decent.

PR19_Kit

The Anigrand kit is a YP6M-1 pre-prototype, but with a P6M-2 canopy for some reason.

And the Mach2 kit is the other way round, it's a reasonably accurate, in outline, production P6M-2 but with a YP6M-1 canopy. There are radical differences between the two versions, not the least being the zero anhedral on the P6M-2 and the 2-3 degrees anhedral on the prototypes and pre-prototypes.

It's a bit like the AMT-Italeri B-52G/H in that respect, changing the anhedral angle would take major engineering with a wing that large.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Well, I've had enough of this seemingly endless PSR on the Monterey.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I've done 3 sessions today, with primer coats in between, and there's two areas of the model that just won't come up to scratch, so that's it, I won't do any more and anyone who comments on it at a show will just have to lump it!

I'll carry on with the beaching trolley mow, as well as building the weapon loading bay and fitting the refuelling system in the bomb bay before I do the colour coats.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

McColm

Makes me want to buy another one, if the end result is as good as this :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 02, 2017, 03:40:00 PM
Well, I've had enough of this seemingly endless PSR on the Monterey.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I've done 3 sessions today, with primer coats in between, and there's two areas of the model that just won't come up to scratch, so that's it, I won't do any more and anyone who comments on it at a show will just have to lump it!

Yup, there comes a point in every models progress when......... ;) :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Lots of fiddly sawing and cutting and filing and super-glueing tonight making up the trolley's wheels and 'undercarriage legs' or whatever they are. They seem to be coming together OK, and THE plus point is there's zero PSR involved.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit