Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 15, 2017, 04:44:03 PM
it makes one wonder why the kits are so expensive and seem to be so sought after? Is it because they're all limited runs? Obscure subject matter?

I think the subject matter is the real draw.  For many years MACH 2 was the only place you could get a SeaDart, SeaMaster, Savage, WB57, B-45, exotic rocket ships etc. In some cases they were your only option, or you had to resort to crazy expensive resin, impossible to get limited run cottage kits (often no better, or very expensive), or vacuforrm requiring great skill.  After a while some of us even want to return to these kits we built years ago (gluttons).   My profile avatar is one of my first WHIFs- a MACH 2 Sea Dart, and I would be happy to give another one a crack. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

McColm

Quote from: sandiego89 on June 15, 2017, 06:12:12 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 15, 2017, 04:44:03 PM
it makes one wonder why the kits are so expensive and seem to be so sought after? Is it because they're all limited runs? Obscure subject matter?

I think the subject matter is the real draw.  For many years MACH 2 was the only place you could get a SeaDart, SeaMaster, Savage, WB57, B-45, exotic rocket ships etc. In some cases they were your only option, or you had to resort to crazy expensive resin, impossible to get limited run cottage kits (often no better, or very expensive), or vacuforrm requiring great skill.  After a while some of us even want to return to these kits we built years ago (gluttons).   My profile avatar is one of my first WHIFs- a MACH 2 Sea Dart, and I would be happy to give another one a crack.
You would have thought that of  the Avro York . Until Mach2 had a go at it, the two alternatives were; two scratch build the fuselage and use a Lancaster for donor parts or the vacform kit.
The AW Argos is slightly better and the Martin Mariner almost fits. It's slightly cheaper than the plastic kit.

PR19_Kit

Yes, I'd agree about the esoteric nature of the Mach2 subjects.

That's exactly why I bought my relatively large number of their kits. Sadly, exactly because Mach2 have already done such kits, it seems that the majors haven't thought it worthwhile to do their own versions, which is limited thinking to my mind. It would be difficult to make a WORSE job than Mach2 for some of the kits, and like Dave Sandiego I've thought of going back and having another go at some of my earlier Mach2s.

That doesn't apply to the Seamaster, it's too darned expensive! I'm GOING to see this one through!!!

What amazes me is why Mach2 haven't done anything about the clear parts in their kits. It's been commented on for DECADES in reviews and STILL they churn out these semi-transparent, pebbled dashed lumps of 'clear', that in some cases don't fit the rest of the kit worth a damn!

Last night, after the previous post, I glued the semi-knackered starboard strut onto the beaching trolley chassis, and strapped it up with Duct Tape, and this morning the whole thing is remarkably stiff and rigid!  :thumbsup: I've still got to sort out the outer face of the strut itself, but it's not looking too bad.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Duct tape, putty, and a large file. Thought for sure we'd see a hammer in there as well lol.

Looking good so far, and for sure, a lot of work !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 16, 2017, 06:53:13 AM
Duct tape, putty, and a large file. Thought for sure we'd see a hammer in there as well lol.

Looking good so far, and for sure, a lot of work !

:thumbsup:

We will have to start calling Kit 'Red Green' won't we Todd    ;D

For those who haven't heard of him, everything was fixed with duct tape;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Green_Show

But I agree with you, looks very good  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rheged

Duct tape, the answer to everything.  It's really "The Force" the Jedi use.  It has a dark side, a light side and it holds just about everything in the world together.  Its opposite is WD40........it makes things come apart.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

Maybe Freightdog could do an improvement set.

PR19_Kit

I doubt there'd be enough market for such an esoteric model in reality.

But an upgrade set for a Mach2 Seamaster would be another complete kit!  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Lots of fiddly little, but essential jobs today. I painted the white metal ejection seats, all over black to kick off, but I'll add some details later, and added the flap jack fairings to the underside of the wings. Both wings now have tip floats and their first level of PSR work, they'll be lots more needed I'm sure.

I've attached the tailplane halves to the fin cap and glued it to the fin itself. Getting the dihedral angle of the tailplanes correct was a real PITA. The stubs on the tailplanes are angled almost correctely, but a) the slots in the fin top aren't deep enough and b) the inner faces of the tailplanes are slanted the WRONG way!  :banghead:

That needed lots of work, and will need PSR and other work later I'm sure. I also added some ECM fairings to the fin cap, like the Vulcan B2s and RAF Phantoms, just to give it a bit more Brit-ness.  ;D

I've put half bulkheads into the fuselage to box in the weapon loading bay, and added a floor too. There'll be lots more work in that area as well.

The major job today was to dissemble the right hand side strut of the beaching trolley, and re-attach it after work to make it fit better. It was NO fun getting it apart, goodness knows what glue I used back in 2012, but it sure was strong! After a couple of hours being clamped in place correctly it's looking a lot better than it did before. It's not perfect and never will be, but it's good enough for Government work.  ;D

In case the floatation tanks don't surface I've found a handy length of 5/8" brass tube that will do the job, but I'd rather use aluminium tube as it's easier to cut and file. I may be able to get some at a local model railway show tomorrow.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Lots of fiddly interior stuff today, with the aid of a magnifying glass over the interior drawing in the Seamaster book. So far I've only done the side of one side of the weapons loading bay but it's easier to get one half right and then copy it to the other side.

The ejection seats are now painted and glued into the cockpit and that in turn has been glued in place in the fuselage, together with the mooring compartment I built immediately aft of the cockpit.

I also spread loads more putty on the fin-tailplane area and I expect it'll need more yet.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

That's looking really good though Kit  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Gondor on June 17, 2017, 04:56:17 PM
That's looking really good though Kit  :thumbsup:

Gondor
I'm with you.  Not to be insulting to Kit or anything but the term "polishing a turd" comes to mind. This is some fantastic work and the kit is loving the TLC. I can't help but think that the poor stryene is an unwitting partner in what the manufacturers make of it.  ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 17, 2017, 06:28:55 PM
I can't help but think that the poor stryene is an unwitting partner in what the manufacturers make of it.  ;D ;D

Nice turn of phrase  :thumbsup:

I was thinking of a silk purse and a sow's ear  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

It's definitely a sow's ear at the moment.  :banghead:

I don't think I've ever built a kit that's needed SO much putty before I got as far as the primer stage. I'll be starting on my third tube of Presto if it goes on like this.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Try building the Mach2 AW Argos that takes a fair tube or two!