Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Quote from: McColm on July 05, 2017, 09:08:58 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 05, 2017, 03:43:09 AM
Going to have to get you to build me a trolley for my BV 222.   ;D ;D ;D
There's an aftermarket kit that comes in resin or metal.
I saw! Looks very very nice, too... but they want as much for it as I paid for the entire BV 222 kit itself!!!  Doing well for myself these days but I can't justify shelling out that much for so little...Unless I can find it for somewhere else...  The one(s) I saw were going for $32 U.S. Duckets + shipping....  I'll take my chances at butchering scratch built stuff before I spend that! 

This one from eBay.. prices slightly different but still adds up to $40!  http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZECH-MASTER-DOCKING-TROLLY-FOR-BV-222-1-72-/232397612821?hash=item361bfa2715:g:jLYAAOSw8HBZNE1o

Sure looks nice though!!

"Kit BV 222 not included

YOU DON'T SAY?!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quote from: KiwiZac on July 05, 2017, 03:11:19 PM
That trolley is a lovely piece of work. Very nice!

I concur... I'm impressed all over the place..  Hard to imagine myself approaching near that level of quality of scratch building. I can barely glue scrap sprue together.
-Sprues McDuck-

McColm

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 05, 2017, 04:25:43 PM
Quote from: McColm on July 05, 2017, 09:08:58 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 05, 2017, 03:43:09 AM
Going to have to get you to build me a trolley for my BV 222.   ;D ;D ;D
There's an aftermarket kit that comes in resin or metal.
I saw! Looks very very nice, too... but they want as much for it as I paid for the entire BV 222 kit itself!!!  Doing well for myself these days but I can't justify shelling out that much for so little...Unless I can find it for somewhere else...  The one(s) I saw were going for $32 U.S. Duckets + shipping....  I'll take my chances at butchering scratch built stuff before I spend that! 

This one from eBay.. prices slightly different but still adds up to $40!  http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZECH-MASTER-DOCKING-TROLLY-FOR-BV-222-1-72-/232397612821?hash=item361bfa2715:g:jLYAAOSw8HBZNE1o

Sure looks nice though!!

"Kit BV 222 not included

YOU DON'T SAY?!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You could build that yourself out of scraps of pasticard. That's what I'm doing on my builds.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 05, 2017, 04:28:12 PM
Quote from: KiwiZac on July 05, 2017, 03:11:19 PM
That trolley is a lovely piece of work. Very nice!

I concur... I'm impressed all over the place..  Hard to imagine myself approaching near that level of quality of scratch building. I can barely glue scrap sprue together.

I'm flattered, and thanks, but it's not that skillfull really.

The 'legs' are two different sizes of nesting Albion Alloys tubing superglued to ensure they're the correct lengths front and rear. Those lengths had to be guessed at really, as there's no direct side-on view of a beaching trolley available, so I made the rear ones longer than my 'guess' so I could cut them down later on. As it happened my 'guess' was right on the money.  ;D

The large rear wheels were the Shackleton set glued either side of the rear legs and the small front wheels were the F-14/A-6 pairing glued onto a piano wire axle spaced as the rear ones.

The support webs for the legs are pieces of 30 thou styrene which first had the holes drilled in them, and then filed to size with a tapered file so the legs were a friction fit. That allowed me to place the whole leg, wheels and web assemblies into position against the Mach2 trolley frame to cut each web to suit. Mach2's mouldings are different on each of the four corners, naturally.  :banghead:

The alignment was the most difficult bit by far, and needed some hi-tech stuff like Blue-Tak and Duct Tape to keep it all in position.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Thanks to my good friend Pete, I've managed to produce the source shapes for the flotation tanks for the trolley.

They started off as a length of 5/8" dowel which I chopped into four shorter chunks, and then rounded one end of each length off in Pete's lathe. I'll cut them down into 55mm lengths and then glue them together in pairs to form the tank shapes.

I've also shown the miniscule 20 mm Vulcan cannon kit I've bought for the tail turret, but the phrase 'biting off more than you can chew' comes to mind......  :banghead:

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: McColm on July 06, 2017, 12:31:55 AM

You could build that yourself out of scraps of pasticard. That's what I'm doing on my builds.
I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 06, 2017, 01:40:19 AM

I'm flattered, and thanks, but it's not that skillfull really.

The 'legs' are two different sizes of nesting Albion Alloys tubing superglued to ensure they're the correct lengths front and rear. Those lengths had to be guessed at really, as there's no direct side-on view of a beaching trolley available, so I made the rear ones longer than my 'guess' so I could cut them down later on. As it happened my 'guess' was right on the money.  ;D

The large rear wheels were the Shackleton set glued either side of the rear legs and the small front wheels were the F-14/A-6 pairing glued onto a piano wire axle spaced as the rear ones.

The support webs for the legs are pieces of 30 thou styrene which first had the holes drilled in them, and then filed to size with a tapered file so the legs were a friction fit. That allowed me to place the whole leg, wheels and web assemblies into position against the Mach2 trolley frame to cut each web to suit. Mach2's mouldings are different on each of the four corners, naturally.  :banghead:

The alignment was the most difficult bit by far, and needed some hi-tech stuff like Blue-Tak and Duct Tape to keep it all in position.  ;D ;)
Thanks for the run down. When or if I try to make one I'll have to come back and reference this.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

I sawed the flotation tanks down to the correct length and glued them together so that they look somewhat like the real thing.

Having checked them I find one of them isn't straight  :banghead: but maybe I can hide that when they're mounted in position.

I've also made up two of the tiny jacks that move the tanks up and down to push the trolley up against the hull when the 'boat is launching or beaching, but there's only two of the angled brackets that the tanks hinge on, so it looks like I'll have to scratchbuild another two.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 11, 2017, 04:26:01 PM

Having checked them I find one of them isn't straight  :banghead: but maybe I can hide that when they're mounted in position.

Almost certainly, although maybe they will just follow the fuselage as it narrows towards the rear ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 12, 2017, 06:19:09 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 11, 2017, 04:26:01 PM

Almost certainly, although maybe they will just follow the fuselage as it narrows towards the rear ?

No, they're parallel with the straight sides of the trolley's main frame. But they are mostly underneath the wings so I may be able to rotate them so the bent one is not too visible.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Very little visible progress I'm afraid. I'm waiting for some lengths of styrene sections, hopefully tomorrow, before I can get much further with the zillions of little brackets and stuff that are scattered all over the beaching trolley.

To show what I mean here's a pic of the real thing scanned from the book. This is the front of it, the rear has a much more squared-off underframe.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thats a complex piece of kit.  It'd be easier to make it an amphibian than scratch build that.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 14, 2017, 03:34:50 AM

Thats a complex piece of kit.  It'd be easier to make it an amphibian than scratch build that.

You could well be right Fred, and I have a spare Catalina landing gear set around the place too.

But as they say on University Challenge, 'I've started so I'll finish';D ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Now I've got more raw materials I've made lots of progress on the bracketry on the trolley.

Here's the four hydraulically powered arms that lower the side tanks when the aircraft has docked in the floating trolley, thus positioning the trolley hard against the hull. The only kit parts are two of the angled brackets, I had to scratch all the rest. One of them is shown in component form at the bottom. The angled brass wire reinforcement is needed because the Mach2 parts have no way to support the side tanks. As they're made of solid wood for my model they're going to need some strength!

Each bracket is around 20 mm tall from base to cylinder cap.

And here they are glued in position on the trolley itself.

Now it's on to the bracketry for the air bag things that the aircraft rests on, which are equally absent from my kit bits.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

And just for the hell of it, here's what it'll look like with the tanks and the aircraft in position.

The tanks'll need a lot of sealing etc. before I can attach them to the trolley, but at least they fit pretty well.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est