Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on July 16, 2017, 11:46:21 PM
The trolley is a kit by itself! Or better a scratchbuild.
Kit deserves separate whiffie nominations for the plane AND the trolley! :thumbsup:

And perseverance
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 17, 2017, 05:52:41 AM
Kit deserves separate whiffie nominations for the plane AND the trolley! :thumbsup:

And perseverance

Or sheer bloody mindedness.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 18, 2017, 01:51:51 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 17, 2017, 05:52:41 AM

And perseverance

Or sheer bloody mindedness.

Damn right there!

I got the 8 mm beads today, it seems that Evergreen's '9mm' is everyone else's 8 mm, but if they fit..............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

OK, here's the beads, in a delightful turquoise shade (!), and they're exactly the correct size to blank off the ends of the tubes.

But how the devil to I cut them in half?  :thumbsup:

I've tried jamming a toothpick down the hole and sawing it, but they are very hard indeed and the toothpick breaks  when I apply the load. I can't hold them in a pair of pliers as they just ping off across the room. I've got all nine of them still but at this rate I'll lose a few before much longer.

All ideas welcomed.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Just glue them on the ends of the tubes and then use some milliput to fill in the gaps.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on July 18, 2017, 06:04:37 PM
Just glue them on the ends of the tubes and then use some milliput to fill in the gaps.   :thumbsup:

Whot 'e said --
or use some thick superglue
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

You may need to buy more beads, Kit. ;)

If you need the flat base I'd suggest gluing a bit of metal rod/tube into the hole (something not too permanent) & sanding down the other side (to the mould seam, if there is one). A power/battery sander may be useful for the bulk of this.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Are they plastic or glass beads?
I had to do this once and I ended up chamfering the inside edge of the tube and then glueing the bead in place. add a little putty around the edge of the tube to blend it in.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

They're plastic beads, but very hard plastic.

I hadn't thought of using the whole bead before though, thanks for that idea gentlemen.  :thumbsup:

Yes, I will need some more if I use the whole bead, but as the guy in the shop didn't charge me '...for such a small number....' that's not much of a loss.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

I was going to suggest maybe one of them do-hickeys that cuts pills in half but certainly, using the whole thing is the better idea.
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 19, 2017, 02:04:50 AM

I was going to suggest maybe one of them do-hickeys that cuts pills in half but certainly, using the whole thing is the better idea.

Hmmm, Mrs_PR19 has one of those, I may give it a try.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I think if you really want to cut them in half Kit, you'll need one of those small hacksaws. They're like about 6" long.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I've already got 1/3 of the way though one of them using an Xacto razor saw, but as the cut deepens so the force needed to saw it increases and the friction on the sides of the cut. The  next thing is the darn thing pings out of whatever I'm trying to hold it with and shoots off across the room.  :thumbsup:

I'm going the 'whole bead' route later on, and then fill in the edges, but I'll need some more beads to do the whole thing.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

You appear to be having problems with your vowels, Kit! :o

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 19, 2017, 07:17:42 AM
and then full in the edges, but I'll need some more beads to do the while thing.

Oh, and this, too;

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 19, 2017, 07:17:42 AM
whatever I'm trying to gold it with

I tried to find a pun linking consonant & constipation but I couldn't work it out. :blink:

I get this feeling I've been hanging around Fred too long! :rolleyes:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 19, 2017, 09:36:20 AM

You appear to be having problems with your vowels, Kit! :o

It gets worse with time, depending on how worn my keyboard gets.

I'm anything but a touch typist, and I could be employed by Logitech etc. as a 'test driver' for their keyboards, I can wear the letters of the keys in less than a few months. Right now this keyboard only has the Q, W, J, Z and X unworn, so any typing tends to be by guesswork.

Regards
Kit