Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: CammNut on August 10, 2017, 04:29:27 PM
My gob continues to be smacked

I'm with CammNut. Every single time a new set of pic's turns up; WHACK! :blink:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Modelling activities today have been a trifle limited, mainly due to me falling off my bike this morning. (ouch!)

But I did carry on boxing in the IFR fit in the bomb bay door, and it should be done tomorrow or Sunday.

I've slarted on trimming off the canopy, which is an Anigrand vacform as it's correct for the P6M-2 version of the Seamaster, which is more than can be said for the only slightly transparent 'canopy' provided by Mach 2, which is for a prototype.  :banghead:

I've never been very good at trimming  vacform canopies, but this one was pretty thick and responded both to scalpel blades and filing, and it looks as if it will fit quite well. I've needed to add some packing pieces under the sides, and I'll need to do something with the nose under the canopy as it's nowhere near the correct shape, but I'm getting there.

I've also done some more work on the weapon loading platform, and it's a lot better after being boxed in. I had to add some gussets in the corners, which aren't on the real thing, as otherwise it would probably break after a few assembly periods, but grey paint hides a multitude of sins.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

You can never have too many gussets.
:o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 11, 2017, 03:30:18 PM

Modelling activities today have been a trifle limited, mainly due to me falling off my bike this morning. (ouch!)

Always a good idea to put at least one foot on the ground when you stop Kit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on August 12, 2017, 01:27:16 AM

Gondor

I tried to Alastair, but the kerb I thought was there wasn't.................  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 12, 2017, 05:54:25 AM
Quote from: Gondor on August 12, 2017, 01:27:16 AM

Gondor

I tried to Alastair, but the kerb I thought was there wasn't.................  :banghead:

Your forgetting the old adage...     "Don't assume... CHECK!!"

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

I'm sorry to hear about your crash. What seats did you use on your model?

PR19_Kit

IIRC they're Aeroclub Martin-Baaker Mk 2s that I had lying around. They're about right for the time frame, late 50s - early 60s.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Dizzyfugu

I've never been very good at trimming  vacform canopies, but this one was pretty thick and responded both to scalpel blades and filing, and it looks as if it will fit quite well. I've needed to add some packing pieces under the sides, and I'll need to do something with the nose under the canopy as it's nowhere near the correct shape, but I'm getting there.

The best tool to trim down vacu canopies I have come across so far are sharp(!!!) steel nail scissors, with curved blades. Emphasis is on sharp, and steel. I used to fight with vacu canopies, too, but once - as a fall-back option - I used high end nail scissors, and it was like a revelation! Costs some bucks, but worth the investment. And you can even trim your nails with them, too...  ;)

TheChronicOne

Good tip. I used straight scissors on one and got it nearly perfect aside from a slice into the side. Ain't no way I'd try a hobby knife. 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

That's something I'd never thought about, thanks indeed to both of you, I'll give that a go.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

It goes without saying that for best results you should wait until Mrs PR19 is out...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 14, 2017, 03:16:48 AM

It goes without saying that for best results you should wait until Mrs PR19 is out...

Hehehe, the very LAST thing I'd do is even think of using hers! I'll take advice from her and get a pair of my own, canopies for the cutting of!

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 14, 2017, 12:56:56 AM

The best tool to trim down vacu canopies I have come across so far are sharp(!!!) steel nail scissors, with curved blades. Emphasis is on sharp, and steel.

Agreed. I have a niece who works in a high end hair dressing salon and she got the manicurist to get me a pair. Pricey (and I got them trade) but very, very good.

Pays to get them sharpened at the first sign of them losing their edge as well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.