Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Wow!  The trolley is fantastic. RAF blue is perfect.

You could have a whole side story on where the trolleys were based!   Beside the trolleys at your Indian Ocean scenario, you would likely have a main UK base like say Pembroke Dock or Calshot?  And then a few extra trolleys for staging or wave the flag type flights: Gibraltar, Cyprus, Dakar, Hong Kong, Singapore....

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Have you got a direct line into my laptop Dave?  :o

Pembroke Dock and Calshot are EXACTLY where I have the UK bases for the Montereys! And there's meant to be 2 more trollies than there are aircraft for exactly the reason you figured out too!

Which rather raises the question, how the devil were they going to move the trollies from base to base? In reality neither Martin nor the USN ever did move them, they all remained at Strawberry Point, Martin's flight test establishment, but they're 42 ft long and 30 ft wide so they wouldn't have fitted inside any cargo aircraft of the period, and neither could they be moved by road. I guess they'd have had to use a ship.

Actually it occurs to me that you can't be all that far from Strawberry Point yourself, and the ramp and some hangars still exist there. And Martin's museum collection is just west of the Point itself too. Sadly there isn't a Seamaster included.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Ha! Great minds..  Some of the final Sunderland stations would be a natural fit....  No spying I promise!

I propose the trolley's would get to their bases via ship, most likely craned aboard as deck cargo, or the much more sexy floated out of the well deck.  The US had plans for the Ashland Class LSD to be part of the Seaplane Striking Force to support Sea Masters as a mobile dry dock.  Although the Sea Masters were imagined to live much of their life at sea, that seems overly optimistic, and land bases and ships would be required for maintenance.  Perhaps the UK gets a lend-lease type deal for a LSD and uses that to deliver the trolleys, or a US Navy LSD is used with the agreement that the trolleys could be used for IS Sea Masters for "contingency operations"...   

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

ericr

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 27, 2017, 05:08:58 PM

Which rather raises the question, how the devil were they going to move the trollies from base to base?

It floats right ? so I think I'd would have a nice big out-board motor on each corner  -------   ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Trolley is great but I don't see where you put the shopping or sit the baby?
:o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 28, 2017, 02:32:26 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 27, 2017, 05:08:58 PM

Which rather raises the question, how the devil were they going to move the trollies from base to base?

It floats right ? so I think I'd would have a nice big out-board motor on each corner  -------   ;D

Hehehe, LOVE it!  :wub:

It's so wide that you could fit a quartet of Merc 1000s across the transom, but somehow I doubt it'd get up on the 'plane'.......  ;D

Quote from: zenrat on September 28, 2017, 02:38:19 AM

Trolley is great but I don't see where you put the shopping or sit the baby?
:o

Give me time Fred, give me time.....  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I was wondering, Kit.  Why not redesign the trolley so that it folds in the middle and thence is narrow enough to fit on a British road?   :wacko:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TheChronicOne

Man that looks great. Tough, about the satin, but uhhh.....   man I wouldn't even worry about it anyway. A couple months on the shelf, even wit' the plane on it, it'll be satin-ey enough thanks to the dust-layer that settles.  PATENT PENDING LAY-Z-MODELLER METHOD (TM)
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on September 28, 2017, 03:32:40 AM

I was wondering, Kit.  Why not redesign the trolley so that it folds in the middle and thence is narrow enough to fit on a British road?   :wacko:

The mind boggles at the size of the hinges involved in doing that!  :o

I could do the hydraulics though, no probs.  ;D :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Re-scribing is my second biggest hate in modelling after PSR work, and I've had ENOUGH of doing it on the Monterey. The fuselage will just have to remain un-re-scribed. The Dymo tape I bought to do that today is useless as the 'improved 'version isn't thick enough, and it doesn't stick to primed styrene all that well.

But it DOES stick to vacform canopies very well, so much so that I yanked the canopy off when removing some of the Dymo just now.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

One step forward, two steps back at the moment.

Regards
Kit

Caveman

Im surprised that with trollies that big they werent classified as ships therefor part of the RN. Or even better - classified as amphibious vehicles and part of RM or the Army!
secretprojects forum migrant

PR19_Kit

It seems that while Martin built the prototype trolley in their own plant in Maryland, the production trollies were made by Aeronca in IDAHO!  :o

How the devil did they get them to Strawberry Point?  :-\

Regards
Kit

The Rat

That trolley is a superb bit of modeling!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr