Martin Monterey MR1

Started by PR19_Kit, June 14, 2017, 08:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Excellent work indeed, the detail and paint job look superb. :bow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

chrisonord

Surely the trollies were transported to their destinations in kit form? either via aircraft or by ship. Couple of days with an arc welder and some smoothrite on it, and jobs a good'un. :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

You could be right Chris, I can see how it would break down into assemblies. The whole thing weighs about 10 tons apparently!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

While NOT doing any panel re-scribing I thought I'd build the Master Vulcan cannon kit I've got that's intended for tail defence of the Monterey.

If anyone has any plans to build this magnificent piece of etched and turned brass items, I have one word of advice.....

DON'T!

While it's superbly machined, and the instructions are examples of clarity, it's designed for 1/4 or 1/8 scale modellers, certainly my 1/1 scale fingers are far to big to assemble it and I'm working with a 4 x magnifier too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I just googled it.
Rather you than me.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

For those who don't know, these images may help;

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

I remember trying to build a gatling gun from scratch, from heated sprues and other styrene material. That was already messy, and I never tried this stunt again (except for a 1:24 scratchbuild, made with hollow steel needles for an SF powered suit). But in brass...?  :rolleyes: While this kit is certainly finely molded and theoretically fits well, I'd stay away because I know that this will be messy and NEVER look the way I'd hope for.

PR19_Kit

Precisely!

I've got as far as sticking the six barrels to the base plate, but sliding the intermediate support rings over the six barrels has defeated me. As for that flash suppressor on the muzzle end, I've NO idea how I can assemble that!

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Looks like a bit of a challenge and one that I would enjoy having a go at  ;D

Your package is in the post Mr Spackman, 1st Class so you should have it there soon.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

You must have smaller fingers than me Alastair!

Should I get you one at Telford in exchange for the Dymo tape?

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 29, 2017, 07:39:07 AM
You must have smaller fingers than me Alastair!

Should I get you one at Telford in exchange for the Dymo tape?

Sounds like a plan  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

While waiting for my fingers to shrink before I carry on with the cannon (Some hopes...) I carried on with the plug that fits into the weapon loading hatch, and it's gone pretty well. So well that the darn thing's the very devil to get back out again once I've slotted it into position!

It's made from the two parts I cut out in the first place plus a whole lot of styrene sheet and shim to get it to fit.

I needed to do this because I'm not too confident in getting the loading platform done before Telford and I really want the Monterey to be there no matter what.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Is looking good, Kit.  I had similar troubles when I built the gattling gun for my Vigilant AA system in 1/35 and that was much, much larger than that 1/72 monstrosity (which I also have a copy of but been too terrified to attempt it).  The problem is getting all the barrels in the base plate and then slotting the spacers on, before putting the muzzle brake on.    :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on September 29, 2017, 07:47:22 PM

The problem is getting all the barrels in the base plate and then slotting the spacers on, before putting the muzzle brake on.    :banghead:

Precisely!  :thumbsup:

I need either three small fingers or someone else to help me, and the cat's no good for that at all!

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Thanks to Gondor supplying me with some of the pukka Dymo label tape (Top bloke :thumbsup:) I did all the re-scribing I'm planning to do, and I applied another primer coat this evening. Needless to say it's uncovered a couple of places which need some PSR  :banghead: but I'll deal with that tomorrow, and then a final (I hope...) primer coat before the colour coats.

I've decided to go with the white top and white planing area scheme as below.

And to that end I've sprayed the AAR unit in its bomb bay door Halfords Appliance White all over and I'll add some detail colour to it later.

Regards
Kit