A Question for the Lightning experts

Started by Devilfish, June 15, 2017, 08:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

I have an idea for a whif using a Lightning, but it means removing the missiles and pretty much all of the ventral fuel tank.  Unfortunately the nature of the role I have in mind precludes AAR and therefore also overwing tanks.  I need a combat range of 300+ miles, a fair bit of which will be supersonic......

I know it's a verrrrrrry tall order for a Lightning, but has anyone any suggestions for restoring fuel capacity?

Old Wombat

I don't want to even think of the engineering nightmare this would create but ... extend the airframe & have the extra length filled with fuel tanks wrapped around the intake duct. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Captain Canada

New wet wing, modified u/c, how about a spine ?
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Its very very frightening indeed  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Area-rule bulges in front of the wing and on the upper corners of the rear fuselage?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on June 15, 2017, 04:16:47 PM

Area-rule bulges in front of the wing and on the upper corners of the rear fuselage?

What a neat idea!  :thumbsup:

It'd even go faster too.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Much more fuel efficient engines.
Wingtip tanks.
Cockpit full of fuel and the pilot in a dry suit.
Replace one engine with fuel tanks and double the power of the other.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Devilfish

Thanks for the suggestions.  I think I may go for conformal tanks....it seems the easiest and (from a treasury point of view) cheapest solution.

McColm

In the real world the over wing tanks caused a lot of drag at supersonic speed and we're flown at subsonic speed.
You could try using a pair of engines from the Tornado F3.

tahsin

F-104 type landing gear and 2x600 gallon Phantom tanks or equivalent under the wings.

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on June 16, 2017, 02:58:30 AM
Much more fuel efficient engines.
Wingtip tanks.
Cockpit full of fuel and the pilot in a dry suit.
Replace one engine with fuel tanks and double the power of the other.

Fill the nose cone with fuel and replace the radar with a sonar.

Fill the tires with fuel: they were so high-pressure you'd never notice the difference.

Reduce the amount of cannon ammo and fill the ammo boxes with fuel: the coating of kerosene on the remaining ammo will only serve to increase muzzle velocity.

Fit the undercarriage doors with inflatable seals so that the bays can be filled with fuel via aerial refuelling once airborne...

But seriously...

The cancelled RB-106 was, roughly speaking, a UK equivalent of the J-79 with three spools, variable stators etc.. Had it been produced, it could have been refitted to the Lightning to get the kind of fuel efficiency improvements you need.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Replace the aluminium skin with doped fabric..... :-X

How about slipper tanks or tip tanks?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Devilfish

Quote from: McColm on June 19, 2017, 03:52:31 AM
In the real world the over wing tanks caused a lot of drag at supersonic speed and we're flown at subsonic speed.
You could try using a pair of engines from the Tornado F3.

The timeline I am using is too early for the Tornado engines  (I did fit them to a Lightning F.7 I did years ago)

Overwing tanks would be no good anyway, as I believe they couldn't take off with them full, and, with it's mission profile,  it wouldn't have time to do AAR, even if I were leaving the probe on.

All weaponry is being removed, so the space normally occupied by the cannons and missile cooling gear can be used for fuel.  I'll fit some form of conformal tanks along the fuselage, under the wings.  I know it will increase drag, but it seems to be the best option.

kitnut617

The fuel carrying problem was looked at in real life. Freightdog does a conversion (I think) of the extended under belly tank which goes as far forward as the nose wheel bay (and half way through it too IIRC). I think it's part of another variant that was planned.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike