Hellenic Gloster Glaive: a Gladiator with an inline engine & other twists

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 17, 2017, 04:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Perfect ! That looks so good. Almost Italian at first, but not so much at the end  :thumbsup: Love the way it turned out. I imagine it would have been a lot of fun to fly !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

loupgarou

Another very good job, Dizzy.
BUT: how do you manage to keep the struts at the correct angle while drying?
AND: how can you paint a rigged biplane without destroying evrything?  :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on June 20, 2017, 12:08:39 PM

I've been pondering exactly the same question ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: loupgarou on June 20, 2017, 12:08:39 PM
Another very good job, Dizzy.
BUT: how do you manage to keep the struts at the correct angle while drying?

Thanks a lot, gentlemen. The struts are in so far no rocket science because of the sequence in which I add them. The only critical issue is/was the outer wing struts - but these were stuck to angled "consoles" of the I-153's lower wings, so that they more or less had the right position. Thanks to a strong and quickly bonding glue, the struts did not need and stabilizastion while curing and could be easily kept "in place". Using only single struts (instead of the Gladiator's twin arrangement) also made things easier.  ;)

Concering the rigging and painting... its magic!?  ;D
There's no secret - I just paint around the hazardous attachment points and try to take care. But accidents happen here, too, and need repair, one or two wires got loose on the Glaive, too. It's just my way of building biplanes. The Gladiator you see in some pics was far more ambitious in this case, since its rigging is much more complex and dense - but it was built and painted the same way!  :wacko:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Thanks, Dizzy. Your hand must be far steadier than mine in order to paint around the rigging  :o Even when I was young I'd have managed a complete catastrophe.  :banghead:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

TheChronicOne

Nice, T!!!  The build is magnificent. One thing I really like is the name....  very cool.  The "modernification" was a nice touch, too.
-Sprues McDuck-

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 21, 2017, 03:39:09 PM
Nice, T!!!  The build is magnificent. One thing I really like is the name....  very cool.  The "modernification" was a nice touch, too.

Agree, the name with a "G" was a lucky find, inspired by my former fantasy RPG life... It HAS been good for something.  ;)

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 22, 2017, 12:29:27 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on June 21, 2017, 03:39:09 PM

Agree, the name with a "G" was a lucky find, inspired by my former fantasy RPG life... It HAS been good for something.  ;)

Ahh yes!  Nerd Powers!  Does indeed come in handy, you're right. Our legion is strong. . .  :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Hotte

nighthunter

Hey Thomas, I made the Glaive in FD scale, with a spatted version and a spatless version for rough runways.

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*