Tanks to the Navy!

Started by Joe C-P, June 18, 2017, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

(This would have been my One Week Group Build, but I came up with the idea a week later after having forgotten when we were doing that build.  :banghead:  ;D )

In 1919, after the war to end all wars, the US military now had a collection of armored tracked vehicles that had taken the nickname "tanks" due to a bit of misdirection on the part of the British Army.

While the US Army had most of these odd inventions, being that they were also named "land ships" and armed with naval guns the US Navy took somewhere between 22 and 27 (records aren't clear), crewed them with naval personnel, and began experiments in tactics.

Over time the landships were groups in squadrons of varying sizes from 2 to 6, tasked with learning the vehicles advantaged and weaknesses and developing methods and tactics to advance the former and lesson the latter.

Included in this work were painting and camouflage experiments, each ship's crew encouraged to find their own inspiration, as long as they could find the supplies in the surplus.

Ship #16 happened to end up with a "captain" (a lieutenant in rank) from New Jersey, Leeds Halsey, who'd served in home waters on the older predreadnaught battleships. He remembered seeing the battleship named for his home state, which happened to be Battleship 16, and so took his inspiration from that ship for his landships camouflage scheme. In addition he set up a small mast just behind the after hatch, and devised a set of signals to be sent between ships in a squadron, given the impossibility of communication by sound inside the noisy hulls.

Today the small experimental group is all but forgotten, though naval terminology has stuck to tanks' structure.

Here we see "Captain" Halsey's landship, unofficially Christened "(Jersey) Devil May Care" in her namesake-inspired camouflage, with the signal for "Advance on the enemy" hoisted aloft.

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Weaver

Splendid idea!  :thumbsup: ;D

You could probably pass that tale off as true, given the number of oddball things that happen in the early days of any new technology.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

A cracking idea, I love the signal flags too.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Sounds very plausible  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

Well, they were a Royal Navy development under Winston Churchill, as First Lord of the Admiralty. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.