Gyrfalcon GR.1

Started by Devilfish, June 25, 2017, 11:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

By the late 80's, the RAF were looking for a replacement for the BAe Eagle, which had been in service for almost 20 years.
No longer needing to carry a nuclear deterrent, a pure strike/bomber was required.  Already having the GD Falcon F.1 in service, the MOD looked at the F-16XL as a possible contender.  Funding was put into the project and it entered service as the Gyrfalcon GR.1 (a Gyrfalcon is the largest in the Falcon family)
2 Sqn took the first aircraft.

20170624_191005_zpsdm5gh4dt by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20170624_190933_zpsnf41nkma by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20170624_191014_zpsdoerkaup by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20170624_191037_zpsg7mofjoz by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20170624_191121_zpsyxrnsblw by Paul Carter, on Flickr

rickshaw

Oooh, nice.  What a lot of bombs, Sir?    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rick Lowe

Oh, now that is a nice looking bird.

AXU

Awesome bird,great job  :thumbsup: !

zenrat

Would you like a plane with your bombs sir?

Good job.

:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Devilfish

Quote from: zenrat on June 26, 2017, 03:19:00 AM
Would you like a plane with your bombs sir?

Good job.

:thumbsup:

As you can see, I completely ran out of 1000lbers, having raided all my stash, so had to complete the loadout with BL.755 cluster bombs from the Revell/Airfix/Heller Jaguar kit

Captain Canada

Great job. Love the shape of that machine. The colours and markings of course are perfect. Love the bomb load as well. Always been a fan of an aeroplane that's all loaded up !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Devilfish

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 26, 2017, 05:21:22 AM
Great job. Love the shape of that machine. The colours and markings of course are perfect. Love the bomb load as well. Always been a fan of an aeroplane that's all loaded up !

:wub:

Thanks. It was a tight fit. I don't think they designed it with chunky British 1000lbers in mind!  I dare say it was meant to carry 500lbers

NARSES2

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can see that parked up at an airshow somewhere with all the kids trying to calculate the total wight of that bomb load  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Snowtrooper

Most excellent :thumbsup: I have a soft spot for the XL and seeing it with so much British ordnance is a delight.

McColm

Steel Penguin

that is a good looking plane, that is  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Old Wombat

14 x 1,000-pounder's ... That'd seriously ruin someone's day! ;D :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

I want to see it... damn PB!!! :banghead:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Devilfish

As soon as I get everything transferred to Flickr I'll repost it! :thumbsup: