Westland Whirlwind Mk. I(c)/Trop, RAF 73 Sq., Northern Africa, 1942

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 28, 2017, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

I guess you mean this one here?

I was not aware of this one from the UK; I came across a different picture, and the guns appeared to be buried deeper in the fuselage, with less obvious fairings - but this could be the result of better light and another perspective. The description said it was an Australian conversion, but this might have been a fake history entry.

Besides, while searching for Beaufighter pics, I came across this here:

A Wellington Mk.II, armed with an experimental Vickers S gun turret and twin fins for a free field of fire. Looks very interesting.

Old Wombat

Hey, Dizzy, you're P'Bucket images aren't getting past their 3rd Party Posting blocker.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Sh!t.  :angry:

Maybe direct links work? When i click on the placeholders, the pictures can be accessed?

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Tpaktop2_1/media/cGF0aDovQmVhdWZpZ2h0ZXJfNDBtbS5qcGc=/?ref=

http://photobucket.com/gallery/http://s252.photobucket.com/user/NUBINA/media/536bec617f40ac8d5b43d2d981d29233.jpg.html

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 02, 2017, 02:16:17 AM

It appears not - sorry. :-\

And as happens quite often with those damned PB people, either link crashed my whole browser!  Who DO they think they are????  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

dogsbody

Luckily, for me, my PB account is still working. Here is a slightly different view of a Beau fitted with 2x40mm. cannon.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

Weaver

That's a good one - well done.  :thumbsup:

I've proposed a Whirlwind with Mercury or Perseus engines before now. The very late versions of both these had roughly the same power output at the Peregrine and they were lighter as well. Of course they were draggier too, but for the ground attack role a bit of extra payload would probably be more useful than a bit of extra speed. The result would, in some ways, be like a British Hs 129.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: dogsbody on July 02, 2017, 04:15:27 PM
Luckily, for me, my PB account is still working. Here is a slightly different view of a Beau fitted with 2x40mm. cannon.

That's the photo I couldn't find. Cheers  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. That's also the one which I found as an "Australian" experiment.  :thumbsup: