Zlín Z-142M of the Macedonian Aviation Brigade, 2006

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 02, 2017, 09:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Small air forces on a budget need econimocal aircraft. And the Macedonian Aviation Brigade makes a nice whif topic, esp. after they got rid of any fixed-wing attack aircraft in 2005. Here's what came next: a Zlín 142 with teeth.  :wacko:

1:72 Zlín Z-142M, '182' of the Macedonian Aviation Brigade's  101. Avijaciska Eskadrila; Petrovec Air base, summer 2006 (Whif/modified Hobby Boss kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Zlín Z-142M, '182' of the Macedonian Aviation Brigade's  101. Avijaciska Eskadrila; Petrovec Air base, summer 2006 (Whif/modified Hobby Boss kit)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
The development of the Macedonian Aviation Brigade started from scratch in 1992. Upon its creation, the Macedonian Air Warfare and Air Defence Forces could count on one UTVA-66 and four UTVA-75 A21 two-seat trainers, all leased from the Makedonski Vozduhoploven Sojuz (Macedonian Aeronautical Union). In 1994, the Macedonian Air Force and Air Defence Forces acquired four biplanes built in the 1920s from Ukraine. Because of the arms embargo they were delivered to the Macedonian Air Force and Air Defence Forces with civil registrations.

In 1996, the Security Council excluded Macedonia from the UN arms embargo. Shortly after this all four Mi-17s of the Macedonian Air Force and Air Defence Forces were painted in camouflage schemes and they received military serials.Four Zlin 242L two-seat trainers were acquired from the Czech Republic in 1995. They are suitable for basic, aerobatic, navigation, instrument and night flying, for formation flying and combat maneuvers.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

During the Kosovo crisis, the Macedonian Air Warfare and Air Defence Forces relocated all its aircraft to safe places, deep within Macedonian territory, from where it was actively involved in monitoring the troubled borders with Kosovo and Albania, as well as supplying a number of Kosovar Albanian refugee camps with food, water, and medical care.

After the withdrawal of Yugoslav Army from Kosovo and entering KFOR in Kosovo, UN decided to disarm Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA). Since spring 2000, Albanian fighter launched a large scale of frontal assaults on police stations, check-points and border-points in southern Serbia and Macedonia. All these events indicate that a large part of already disbanded KLA was still active in a form of two new liberation armies: The Liberation Army of Preshevo, Medvedja, Bujanovac in southern Serbia and National Liberation Army in Macedonia.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The crisis between Albanian Fighters and the Macedonian Government forces broke out in March 2001. During the fighting the Macedonian Air Warfare and Air Defence Forces has rapidly expanded itself receiving additional 20 aircraft.

The first big-quantity delivery of new aircraft to the Macedonian Air Warfare and Air Defence Forces was made on March 23. That day, Ukraine donated to Macedonia four Mi-8MT combat helicopters, that served with Ukrainian contingent of KFOR on Kosovo, and as a part of old agreement delivered additional two Mi-24V Hind-E combat helicopters. Solidarity of Greece with the Macedonian Government was also shown that day with the delivery of two UH-1H Huey helicopters to the Macedonian Air Warfare and Air Defence Forces. On April 15 two more, on June 15 four more and on September 4 two more Mi-24's followed from Ukraine.

In June 2001 four Su-25 (three Su-25 and one Su-25UB) from Ukrainian reserve stocks arrived, marking them the first combat fighters for the Macedonian Air Warfare and Air Defence Force. In December 2001 Macedonian Air Warfare and Air Defence Force also received two Mi-24K Hind-G2 (photo-reconnaissance and artillery spotting version of Mi-24) helicopters from the Ukraine.

However, the Su-25's career was not long, because the 2nd hand aircraft were costly to operate and pressure from the USA (as a part of Macedonia's plan to join NATO as quickly as possible) saw the small Frogfoot fleet being withdrawn from service in 2004 and subsequently sold to Georgia in 2005, in exchange for more Mi-17 and Mi-24 helicopters. This left the Macedonian Air Warfare and Air Defence Forces without fixed-wing attack aircraft. Macedonia attempted to acquire six J-21 Jastreb ground attack aircraft from Yugoslavia and ten Pilatus Britten-Norman BN2T-4S Defender 4000 multi-sensor surveillance from unnamed country, and there were numerous rumors concerning other procurement project. But the lack of funds did not let these plans lead to fruition, so that a simple solution was sought.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

This materialized in the form of four Zlin Z-142 two-seaters, acquired in 2004 and indigenously modified in 2005 for various duties, including armed training, liaison and reconnaissance, esp. at the touchy Albanian border. These machines were part of a major trainer procurement from the Czech Republic, started in 2003 with a four-seat Zlin 143L and one more two-seat Zlin 242L, acquired from the Macedonian Authority for Civil Aeronautical Transport and Traffic.

The Z-142 were locally outfitted with a military communication suite, received survival kits (including an inflatable life raft) and two of them were also outfitted with a simple FLIR camera in a fairing under the fuselage (with a respective additional screen at the copilot's place). Additionally, two hardpoints were added under the outer wings and hardwired for the deployment of light bombs or pods with unguided missiles or machine guns pods - generally at the expense of the second crew member, though.
Unlike the Z-242 trainers, the Z-142Ms, how the type was officially called, were camouflaged. From 2005 onwards frequently deployed at the Albanian border for armed border patrol and coordination of helicopter . The machines with the FLIR system were, during summer months and dry periods, used for fire patrol, while the pair of Z-142M without the extra sensor equipment was also used for advanced/armed training.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

General characteristics:
    Crew: One
    Capacity: Pilot plus one passenger or student
    Length: 7,33 m (24 ft 1 in)
    Wingspan: 9,16 m (30 ft 1 in)
    Height: 2,75 m (9 ft)
    Wing area: 13.15 m2 (141.5 sq.ft)
    Empty weight: 730 kg(1.609 lbs)
    Max. takeoff weight: 1.090 kg (2.403 lbs)

Powerplant:
    1× Walter (now LOM) M 337 fuel-injected inverted six-cylinder, supercharged air-cooled engine with 157 kW (210 hp)

Performance:
    Maximum speed: 272 km/h (147 kts, 169 mph)
    Cruise speed: 200 km/h (108 knots, 124 mph)
    Never exceed speed: 315 km/h (170 kt, 196 mph calibrated airspeed)
    Range: 941 km (508 NM, 585 mi)
    Ferry range: 1,200 km (645 nm, 745 mi) with wingtip fuel tanks
    Service ceiling: 4.250 m (13.944 ft)
    Rate of climb: 5.0 m/s (984 ft/min)

Armament:
   Two underwing hardpoints, for a maximum total external ordnance of 250 kg

The kit and its assembly:
This is one of the smallest 1:72 aircraft I ever assembled, and the Hobby Boss kit actually only consists of a dozen parts. The most disturbing thing about the kit is that the fuselage parts are molded in clear plastic - without need, since the canopy is a separate piece? Weird, but even unpainted the model would make a nice conversation piece...

Anyway, the inspiration for this one came while pondering about potential military uses for a Cessna Skymaster in my stash (ARII kit, with fixed landing gear). Somehow, with the brief history of the Macedonian Su-25s and the question, if a more simple, armed aircraft could become a successor, I came up with an armed touring aircraft, even smaller than the Skymaster - and found the Hobby Boss Zlin 142 kits!

The simple but nicely detailed kit was built mostly OOB, just with some additions. These include a pilot figure, seat belts, some payload behind the seats, filling the blank space there, the (scratched from styrene sheet) pylons and their ordnance (these are actually pods with six unguided air-to-air missiles each from a Revell G.91), some added blade antennae and the FLIR fairing under the fuselage, placed outside of the exhaust's efflux.

1:72 Zlín Z-142M, '182' of the Macedonian Aviation Brigade's  101. Avijaciska Eskadrila; Petrovec Air base, summer 2006 (Whif/modified Hobby Boss kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Zlín Z-142M, '182' of the Macedonian Aviation Brigade's  101. Avijaciska Eskadrila; Petrovec Air base, summer 2006 (Whif/modified Hobby Boss kit) - WiP
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The clear fuselage has its drawbacks, though. While overall fit is good and I actually built this model kit without any use of putty, checking fit and seams is almost impossible until you add some paint or a coat of primer.

Painting and markings:
I used the Macedonian Su-25s as design benchmark, and the choice for this operator was slightly supported by the fact that I had decals for all four Frogfoot in store from a Balkan Models decal sheet. The corresponding information sheet also provided inspiration for the scheme (every aircraft was different) and the respective colors, even though I rather relied on pictures of the aircraft than model paint suggestions.

Defining the colors was not easy, since all Macedonian Su-25 look VERY weathered on any picture I could find, just around the nose sections some of the original tones can be guesstimated. Using this information, plus experience with Soviet/Russian tactical aircraft cammo and pictures of more modern Macedonian equipment (e. g. Mi-24s in a very stylish wrap-around splinter scheme)  I eventually settled on the following five tones as basic colors:
- Humbrol 168 (RAF Hemp)
- Humbrol 98 (Chocolate Brown)
- Humbrol 150 (Forest Green)
- Humbrol 195 (RAL 6020 Dunkelgrün)
- Humbrol 115 (Russian Underside Blue)

With the irregular, patchy pattern, the Zlin's outlines blur well. After a light black ink wash some weathering on the upper surfaces was done, for a sun-bleached look.
As mentioned above, markings come primarily from a Su-25 Balkan Models decal sheet. The tactical code was puzzled together from single black digits (TL Modellbau, 4mm size), though, and "MAF" was added in the same typeface on the fuselage flanks, inspired by contenmporary Macedonian helicopters. Some stencils were taken from the Hobby Boss OOB sheet.

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Disaster struck, though, when I sealed the kit with matt acrylic varnish from Revell. I should have stuck to the Italeri product from the start, and had to pay my carelessness with milky shadows all over the kit. I tried to rub the stuff away with alcohol thinner, but many stains remained and I had to make a lot of repairs and new shadings, so that the final result seen in the beauty pics is not as crisp as I hoped it to be. Anyway, work was quickly done, thanks to the kit's small size, and the decals were not damaged at all during the whole post-treatment. Whew!

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A wee and slightly anachronistic whif model, done in just two days (plus another for photo shooting and writing things up). Looks special, I think, but on a low budget and with litte aerospace or borderline stretches to protect, this might be an eligible approach? With the four-tone camouflage the innocent Zlin 142 looks pretty purposeful now!

PR19_Kit

The whole THING is moulded in clear? How bizarre is that?  :o :o

I like the way you say can't see any assembly or gluing faults until you prime it, and then you paint it withOUT any primer.  ;D ;D ;D

It looks great, and a very plausible backstory too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Love the build other than it being all in clear  :o

I would have great difficulty building that without coating it in some kind of primer. Hat's off to you for managing to build an all clear kit!  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, I'm wondering about making of them and NOT painting it all, just add some decals, and post as an experimental stealth aircraft.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 02, 2017, 03:48:24 PM
Hmmm, I'm wondering about making of them and NOT painting it all, just add some decals, and post as an experimental stealth aircraft.  ;D ;)

My theory is that it is actually a model of Wonder Woman's famous Invisible Airplane - Hobby Boss just did not get the rights from DC Comics and had to release it in Czech colors...  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 03, 2017, 12:17:43 AM

My theory is that it is actually a model of Wonder Woman's famous Invisible Airplane

My thoughts almost exactly. First thought was Wonder Woman trainer. Amazonian Airforce ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Nice little kit aren't they.
You might have made the right choice when you didn't prime it as when I built mine for the 2016 1WGB the primer crazed the plastic.

Looks good.  Macedonian camo looks so similar to Swedish Fields and Meadows I am going to have to change what I have planned for my second one of these.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on July 03, 2017, 02:40:47 AM
Macedonian camo looks so similar to Swedish Fields and Meadows I am going to have to change what I have planned for my second one of these.

Same thought here. even though the colors are different, the effect and visual impression is very similar to the Swedish scheme.

comrade harps

Whatever.

DogfighterZen

Another great build, pics and story, love that camo, really makes that small bird look very dangerous! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Looks good, Dizzy, but there's a part of me that really preferred it clear. ;D :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..