Are model kits too complex?

Started by seadude, July 06, 2017, 08:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

I've built some not-so-old molds like the Hobbyboss 1/72 F-18D, pretty simplified and cheaper than any of the main brands' kits of the same plane, Italeri's F-16 and F-15 are also very cheap and simple kits... there are molds of these types that are much more expensive and complicated like Revell, Hasegawa, Academy... from what i've seen, HB has the simplest and cheapest kits out there but Academy and others are also paying attention to that, and we shouldn't forget the Eastern companies which make very simple and cheap kits like KP, ZTS Plastyk... but most folks complain that the molds are crap... :rolleyes:
In the days we live in, there's a higher level of building due to more accessible and better tools and techniques to work with and that makes the level of modelling higher... Like most of us, i've read lots of reviews and articles and i think that better detail has always been asked for by most modellers and the companies responded with better and more complicated detail on their molds... And we all have to admit that a good build of a good kit leaves everyone thinking: " Wish i could do something like that..."
I've recently seen on ISM, a first build of an airplane from a beginner, which came out very nice, the kit was the Harrier GR.9, same i've built and found as easy as the Airfix P-80C, and there's a big time gap between mold age, isn't there?
In the days we live in, i think it's a matter of reading reviews of the kits you want to build and choosing the one which suits your wallet, taste or skill level of building so, again, i think it's a matter of choice.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Mondria

I think we are in the right spot now, complex kits for people that wants them and plenty of easy kits as well, super big after market for does who wants to super detail there kits.
cost is a bigger problem at the moment, prices are rising, which for the complex kits I can understand but there also kits not so complex and still really expensive, Dragon comes too mind. Now if the kits are spot on not a real problem but if there are also faults it will get even more expensive to fix
off course I can only speak of the kits I have interest in, pretty much only 1/72 armor and some planes
Greetings Mondria
-------------------------------------------
some of my work
http://midnightgreys.blogspot.com/

Rick Lowe

You also have to remember that an assembly of flat plates is easier to mould than a chassis tub. Though that's not as common as it used to be.
And not every manufacturer can afford, or necessarily wants to mess with, slide moulding.

Some seem to have a parts count for the sake of it, though - the competing MRAP models spring to mind... 500+ parts in 1/35? Someone's 'avin' a larf.
The ones that annoy me are the likes of Revell's Fuchs or Luchs... there're more parts in the suspension than on the topside.
Fine if you want to display it upside down in a ditch, but otherwise? You'll never see the detail.

And as modellers, we should be careful what we tell the manufacturers what we want... we wanted single-link tracks, and Dragon complied.  :banghead:
Again, for a set of German or Russian 'dead' tracks, useful. For a Sherman 'live' track, not so much. I'm sticking with 'rubber bands', myself.

[Grumpy, Opinionated Curmudgeon Mode back to Standby]  :lol:

Librarian

Wasn't it an MRAP that brought down that 747 at Bagram? Christ but that was some freaky footage :o.

scooter

Quote from: Librarian on July 08, 2017, 04:19:30 PM
Wasn't it an MRAP that brought down that 747 at Bagram? Christ but that was some freaky footage :o.

Yes it was, as a cargo shift on takeoff. 

MENG's M2 Bradley kit (with interior) actually scares me...
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

martinbayer

Quote from: kerick on July 07, 2017, 06:16:54 AM
Manufacturers should have something for kids to enjoy. Big, complex and expensive kits are ok for adults if that's what you like but 10 year olds will never sit through one. And kids are the future of this hobby, as well as everything else. There should be cheaper, simpler kits to allow them to develop skills and interest on. And yes, blow them up with firecrackers! Thank heavens there are older kits still available.

I concur - like everything, ideally there should be diversity in "the market" - higher priced elaborate kits for the mature detail fanatic, and lower priced ones at an entry level for the novice.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

The Chaos

I thinks kits with a lot of parts not too complex for me.
Because I have kits with over 500 Parts and not the Time too build kits with this number of Parts.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: martinbayer on July 08, 2017, 09:38:32 PM
Quote from: kerick on July 07, 2017, 06:16:54 AM
Manufacturers should have something for kids to enjoy. Big, complex and expensive kits are ok for adults if that's what you like but 10 year olds will never sit through one. And kids are the future of this hobby, as well as everything else. There should be cheaper, simpler kits to allow them to develop skills and interest on. And yes, blow them up with firecrackers! Thank heavens there are older kits still available.

I concur - like everything, ideally there should be diversity in "the market" - higher priced elaborate kits for the mature detail fanatic, and lower priced ones at an entry level for the novice.

Martin

But there are plenty of entry level kits, especially if you consider the snap-fit kits... And going by my experience and what i've found to have happened to a lot of folks, was that as soon as a kid finds freedom outside of the house, so long model kits... I only slap-glued a few kits with CA for a few years because there were no snap-fit kits back then, then i started canoeing and bmx riding at 11/12 years of age, and only came back to the hobby when i was over 30 years old... and i've read of so many people that did the same, so unfortunately, i'm not so sure if kids really are the future of the hobby. How many of us have been modelling throughout their whole lives since we were kids? I might be under the wrong impression, but i don't think that there's that many people who have done it...
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 08, 2017, 08:24:22 AM
Spencer's follow on blog post:
https://thekitbox.wordpress.com/2017/07/08/why-less-really-can-be-more/

Thanks Jon.
I guess his paymasters in the model trade wouldn't be too happy if he espoused buying second hand.

The second article has me worried.  The Pz IV with 10,000,000 parts he uses as a bad example is the one i've got in my stash...
:o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 09, 2017, 01:51:49 AM
How many of us have been modelling throughout their whole lives since we were kids? I might be under the wrong impression, but i don't think that there's that many people who have done it...

I might be one of the fewer then, started building models (all sorts and scales) when I was six or seven (with some help from the lodger) until I was 25. Then a six year break while I brought my family to Canada but then after trying to get my son interested in it, found he wasn't but I still was interested and I've been doing it ever since --- and I'm 63 now.  Since I restarted I decided to concentrate just on 1/72 aircraft and mostly western world military ones, more than enough subjects to do without branching into other stuff.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DogfighterZen

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 09, 2017, 04:30:40 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 09, 2017, 01:51:49 AM
How many of us have been modelling throughout their whole lives since we were kids? I might be under the wrong impression, but i don't think that there's that many people who have done it...

I might be one of the fewer then, started building models (all sorts and scales) when I was six or seven (with some help from the lodger) until I was 25. Then a six year break while I brought my family to Canada but then after trying to get my son interested in it, found he wasn't but I still was interested and I've been doing it ever since --- and I'm 63 now.  Since I restarted I decided to concentrate just on 1/72 aircraft and mostly western world military ones, more than enough subjects to do without branching into other stuff.

I know that there are people who've done it their whole lives, but i'm under the impression that a lot more people have had a big break in their modelling "careers", but i might be wrong, it's just that i've read stuff from a lot of people saying that. Just read a few introduction topics on forums like ISM, UAMF and the likes, so many people have the same story of giving up and coming back into it 20/30 years later...
I would like to see more kids becoming interested in modelling and i think that with all the internet forums, facebook and much easier and cheaper starter kits available now, it's already picking up more kids than say, 5 years ago?
It's happening here in Portugal, with a lot more modelling shows/contests being held and more stores opening up. Local hobby stores and local clubs are helping a lot with free workshop sessions where kids learn from older modellers, prizes being given away during said sessions, it's looking up over here. :thumbsup:
I also notice it on ISM's live shows, there are quite a few kids watching the shows regularly so i believe it's slowly becoming a reality all over the world, and i'm not really aware of the Japanese scene, which i think has always been much sounder than on other parts of the globe, mainly due to the big companies they have there.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 08, 2017, 02:04:15 PM
And as modellers, we should be careful what we tell the manufacturers what we want... we wanted single-link tracks, and Dragon complied.  :banghead:
Again, for a set of German or Russian 'dead' tracks, useful. For a Sherman 'live' track, not so much. I'm sticking with 'rubber bands', myself.

[Grumpy, Opinionated Curmudgeon Mode back to Standby]  :lol:

"Link-&-Length" was such an awesome concept but it doesn't seem to have really taken hold - or I was out of modelling when it peaked.

(I hate rubber-band tracks, no matter how hard I try I can never get paint to stick to the vinyl. :banghead: )
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 09, 2017, 05:44:53 AM

"Link-&-Length" was such an awesome concept but it doesn't seem to have really taken hold - or I was out of modelling when it peaked.

(I hate rubber-band tracks, no matter how hard I try I can never get paint to stick to the vinyl. :banghead: )

Agree, the Link-and-Length wasn't used as much as it should have been.

Have you tried Automotive paint for primering? I use a generic black spray, and haven't had that sort of problem.

Old Wombat

I've used automotive primer but not straight automotive paint as a primer.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 09, 2017, 05:44:53 AM

You and me both  :banghead:

When Airfix started their 1/76th armour back in the day I persuaded my mum to sew a couple of Sherman and Panther tracks together for me. She did a great job  :thumbsup: Still got a Pz III I made from their Stug III and Panther (Airfix Mag article) that she sewed the tracks for me. See If I can find it.

I like the plastic tracks that come in 3/4 sections ? you get with kits intended more for the wargames end of the market
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.