USAF Stargate Command Avrocar VZ-9G - Finished pics page 4

Started by zenrat, July 09, 2017, 02:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Just drew up and printed some decals.  Gate (actually DHD) Glyphs and low viz USAF in brown.
The Boy (13) is sulking because his Aunty has made him stop playing Zelda on her Nintendo Switch.  He has to be outside for an hour.
Rather then go for a walk down to the foreshore or around the cemetery with Uncle Fred he has chosen to wander aimlessly around the garden sticking his head back indoors every few laps to ask "how long now?".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 29, 2017, 08:12:54 PM
he has chosen to wander aimlessly around the garden sticking his head back indoors every few laps to ask "how long now?".

Seriously ???  :o At 13 you couldn't have kept me and my mates in. Either football or cricket depending on the time of year. I actually feel quite sorry for kids nowadays, not sure why but I do for some reason ?  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

At that age i'd jump on my pushie and tear round with my mates.
Or make models of course.

Not much on this today.  Another coat of paint and seal the decals is all.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 31, 2017, 04:18:03 AM
At that age i'd jump on my pushie and tear round with my mates.

We occasionally used to ride our bikes down to Brighton. Down hill most of the way there, then cadge a lift back to Croydon in the guards van. Those were the days  <_<
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

reddfoxx

That's going to look awesome!  I just saw a real one at the USAF museum.

zenrat

D'oh!
Redfoxx, your first pic has revealed i've failed to accurately replicate those flappy vent thingos along the front circumference.
The kit has separate parts for each flap.  They were fiddley and I broke one and the instructions just show them being glued flat on the rim.  So I replaced the lot with a strip of styrene glued all the way across the front and then sanded smooth.
Oh well, they were replaced with alien technology and were faired over.
;D
Good pics, thanks.  Fly's intake fan is also not much like reality.

Chris.  Which way over the South Downs.  Ditchling Beacon, follow the railway (B2 something or other through Clayton) or London Road (A23)?
I've only ever used Ditchling Beacon which is a heck of a climb (never made it to the top without getting off and walking) but also an amazing run down from the top to the beach (especially if you get green lights all the way).
Fred

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on July 20, 2017, 01:37:29 AM
Some progress.
Belated congratulations, very good model! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Here is a photo of the Avrocar with a fresh (it was still wet!) coat of gloss clear.
Avrocar WIP 1-8-17 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Mmmmmmmm, milk chocolate and caramel.
Fred

reddfoxx

Zenrat, don't worry about accurately replicating anything.  This is a cool project. Just thought the pix were relevant and might help.  Looking good so far!

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 31, 2017, 05:12:49 PM

Chris.  Which way over the South Downs.  Ditchling Beacon, follow the railway (B2 something or other through Clayton) or London Road (A23)?
I've only ever used Ditchling Beacon which is a heck of a climb (never made it to the top without getting off and walking) but also an amazing run down from the top to the beach (especially if you get green lights all the way).

We simply used to follow the A23 all the way from Purley. There was a dual carriage way bit near Gatwick that was brilliant. Quite a downhill stretch and all bends and curves, great fun  :thumbsup: Remember though I am talking of the mid 60's, so traffic wasn't bad at all.

jcf

That Avrocar, 58-7055/AV-7055, went through a whole slew of modifications, one of which was the addition of the
fixed vanes in the fan-intake, as originally built, it looked like the Fly kit.

McColm

Looks to me as if a giant key is missing to wind up that thing.

Old Wombat

I love the line down the middle separating the US Air Force from the US Army. ;D

Jurisdicional authority issues, perhaps? :unsure:

Could see one done in camo, & more angular & jeep like on one side with a pintle-mounted MaDeuce, while the other side is much as it is, with fins, missile-bearing wing-stubs & a fuselage gun or 3. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I am fitting a pair of fuselage guns.  The wire holding the thing for painting (see photo above) is in the holes I drilled for them.

Decalled it today.  Put on the 'glyphs and then put on the USAF markings.  Briefly thought "that looks good" and then removed the 'glyphs as I had lined them up wrong.
As you can see from this picture...

...the top is not symmetrical.  The red line is the centre line but I lined the 'glyphs up with the bulge sticking out from the central fan hole.
I printed a new set, cleared them and will put them on tomorrow.
Fred