Woodies

Started by McColm, July 13, 2017, 11:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
We love boats that are varnished to a high standard. Either in the real world or as a static model.
Estate/Station wagons of a certain generation were called Woodies as the rear part of the car was made out of wood. Years later fake wood was applied to some and sold as an aftermarket product. Which looks good when applied artistically.
So what about aircraft, the D.H. Mosquito was built out of wood and if you use the Vallejo acrylic range of paints ( other paints are available) a wooden effect would be created. On the larger scales strips of veneer can be used as this would reveal the grain. Both older and newer aircraft could get the Woodie effect. Wings , tail and fuselage.

Mossie

I remember seeing a model of a Mossie that had been in a mishap, got a little close to it's quarry and the explosion stripped the paint (this happened to more than one, IIRC) back to the wood. It was very nicely done.

I saw the Elvington  Mossie while it was being restored and saw it partially unpainted.  A model of one being restored or under repair would look good.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Thanks Mossie for the info.

kerick

I can't remember where but I just saw a model of a Mossie sans paint. It looked awesome with the wooden and metal parts visible. Isn't there wood grain decal material out there? Maybe for trains?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

There used to be vinyl overlays available for the LNER's teak coaches a few years ago, but they had the window and door frames as part of the overlay, so I doubt they'd look too good on a Mossie, Hornet or Vampire.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

I think that I have an article at home in one of the modeling magazines.
Scale Aviation Modeller International
August 2016 Vol 22 issue 8, pages 682-687.
Tamiya's 1/72 de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk VI /NF Mk II built by Garth Nicholson. Using wood grain decals.

jcf

Wood grain decals for aircraft models are available from various sources, one is
from "Uschi van der Rosten", real name Alexander Glass:
https://www.uschivdr.com/shopping-categories/shop-wood-grain-decals/

Good stuff, but the creepy, smiling Bund Deutscher Mädel (girls' wing of the Hitler Youth) portrait he uses in
his logo puts me off purchasing any of it.

He also has a tutorial on wood-grain by hand:
https://www.uschivdr.com/tutorials/

Posted in a different thread:
http://www.oldwoodies.com/gallery-french2skiff.htm
These are the most compelling for a number of reasons, but have a dig around the site, lots of good stuff.

McColm

Mossie

I've not tried the oil over acrylic technique in anger, but I've had a play about on test pieces and it's fairly easy to get a good effect.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 13, 2017, 09:26:29 PM
...Good stuff, but the creepy, smiling Bund Deutscher Mädel (girls' wing of the Hitler Youth) portrait he uses in
his logo puts me off purchasing any of it...

Yep, me too.

I paint wood grain with acrylics.  The trick is to use a crappy old brush to paint the grain effect.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I've got some wood grain transfer sheets in the stash produced by "Tauro Model". Mind you I got it a fair while ago. I think they were intended for WWI Albatross D types ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

If you can print your own decals then you can print your own woodgrain.  Either by using images found on the interweb or by photographing suitable woodgrain found around the home.
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..