Canadair CL-41 Tutor

Started by jcf, July 15, 2017, 11:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 28, 2019, 06:08:42 AM
I've a Hobbycraft one somewhere that may end up as an RAF one at some point.  Possibly in Jet Provost markings.

Occasionally wondered how a t-tail JP5 substitute for a Tutor would turn out - probably with some fin leading edge work and of course Canadian markings just to get the punters going.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

jcf

CL-41J VTOL Jet Trainer 
In June 1961, preliminary studies were made by Canadair that were initially tailored to the NATO V/STOL
Supersonic Ground-Strike and Reconnaissance aircraft concept, to determine the merits of a highly modified
Canadair CL-41 aircraft design as a companion type VTOL jet trainer. The side-by-side seating configuration
would provide an ideal and efficient instructional environment, as had been evident with the successful tests
and demonstrations of the first prototype CL-41 aircraft. With a standard Canadian Orenda built J85-CAN-40
engine providing the forward propulsion, an additional three Rolls Royce RB162 direct-lift jet engines, mounted
inline vertically behind the cockpit in a lengthened center fuselage, would have provided the VTOL capability
for the proposed CL-41J. A louvered, forward opening air inlet door would be raised to a canted position for the
direct-lift engines' operation during VTOL flight, then it would be retracted flush to the fuselage for the cruise
portion of flight. A variable exhaust system on the underside of the aircraft would have controlled the vertical
thrust vector. With four thirsty jet engines to feed, additional fuel would have been required and that would
have possibly been made available by the addition of bladder tanks in the inboard sections of the wings and in
the wing-to-fuselage side fairings. Jettisonable fuel tanks fitted to pylons under the wings would probably have
been necessary for any type of a satisfactory training mission to be accomplished. It is not known how roll and
yaw were to be controlled when the aircraft was to be operated in the VTOL regime. Pitch may have been
controlled possibly by modulating the thrust of the forward and/or rear lift jet engines.

You cannot view this attachment.

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.