Supermarine Swift
EE Lightning
Gloster Javelin
Folland Gnat
Blackburn Buccaneer

The Rat

Quote from: upnorth on July 24, 2017, 11:57:18 PM
I put a vote in for the Swift.

After reading Nigel Walpole's "Swift Justice" book, I have to say the Swift sounds like a real hot rod down low and could probably put on awesome low altitude displays.

Excellent book! I've been ranting about this for years; the RAF should have given up on the high-altitude interceptor role much earlier. It was quickly apparent that the Swift was a superb low-level platform, far better than the Hunter, and should have been given roles that exploited that quality.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

I watched a Swift give a solo display at Benson in 1955, I think.

It was AWESOME as the pilot used reheat for much of the time, and nothing else had it at that time. LOUD it certainly was!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

I voted for the Swift for a couple of  reasons. 

1.  Small, light aircraft are the best for aerial displays
2.  The Gnat has had it's day with the Red Arrows.
3.  I've always liked the Swift and reckoned it got unfairly dumped on.

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

I'm not sure that the Swift qualifies as being small or light actually, but it's certainly impressive.

It's a big bruiser of an aircraft, so long as you're not comparing it with a Javelin or a Buccaneer anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

I always thought it was about the same size as a Hunter ... not small, I guess, but not huge.  I'll do some comparative research.  :)  I have a Swift in my SSR (Strategic Styrene Reserve), and some thoughts on a (whif) variant ... 

One possibility = Radar nose, full missile suite
Other possible configuration, since the cannon are in the wings = turboprop, ala Thunderscreech.  :) 

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

andrewj

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on September 16, 2017, 07:18:10 AM

Other possible configuration, since the cannon are in the wings = turboprop, ala Thunderscreech.  :)

It'd need a much taller nosewheel, or a 12 bladed contra-prop.  ;D

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 16, 2017, 01:49:52 PM

And a more "British" name.  Like "Rather Jolly Loud, What!".
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

Quote from: zenrat on September 16, 2017, 07:03:41 PM

You mean, like "Bittern"?  I'd probably opt to shorten the main undercarriage legs rather than make the nose gear more delicate - or just revert to a tail wheel.  I wonder if I could use the props off a Lockheed XFV "Pogo"?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on September 20, 2017, 12:52:17 PM
Quote from: zenrat on September 16, 2017, 07:03:41 PM

You mean, like "Bittern"?  I'd probably opt to shorten the main undercarriage legs rather than make the nose gear more delicate - or just revert to a tail wheel.  I wonder if I could use the props off a Lockheed XFV "Pogo"?

Reverting to the tailwheel may cause a problem on take-off when the aircraft's tail comes up if the props are too large....

Regards
Kit