De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk44

Started by zenrat, July 24, 2017, 04:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk44

De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk44 2 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The first of the jet Mosquitos, the Mk44 entered service as the war entered its eighth year.  The RAAFs FB Mk44s, alongside their jet Beaufighters, played a vital role in the spring offensive of 1946 which finally drove Japanese occupation forces out of Far North Queensland.

De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk44 11 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk44 7 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The aircraft pictured is an FB Mk44 of RAAF No.1 Squadron based on the Cape York Peninsula in October 1946.  Armament consists of four 0.5' machine guns and a 37mm cannon mounted in the nose along with eight underwing 60lb rockets.

De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk44 9 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model
Airfix 1/72 Mosquito Mk II/VI/XVIII with Revell box scale (1/80?) Martin B57 wings.
37mm gun barrel from Ari Mitsubishi Ki-46iii.

De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk44 12 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Interesting.  Looks the part.    :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 24, 2017, 04:46:28 AM

....... with Revell box scale (1/80?) Martin B57 wings.

AhAH! THAT'S why they look so right.  :thumbsup:

I was thinking 'They're Canberra wings and engines, but surely they'd be far too big for a Mossie, so where's he cut and shut them?'

Of course you didn't, which is why they look so right, super job there.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Paper Kosmonaut

Great idea! I already was tinkering with ideas to do the same in paper with a Mossie. I just couldn't get the wings right. The Meteor was obviously too small and the wingspan on a Mossie looked ridiculous. When I placed the Meteor wings - enlarged - further back, the whole Mosquito shape was gone. Scale-o-rama stuff has been coming into mind but. I. never. thought. of. the. Canberra. I was too focused on contemporaries of the Mosquito and the Meteor. Silly. Those B-57 wings give the Mosquito the right weight and appearance. Wonderful idea and nicely done! It all looks very natural.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 24, 2017, 05:36:38 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 24, 2017, 04:46:28 AM

....... with Revell box scale (1/80?) Martin B57 wings.

AhAH! THAT'S why they look so right.  :thumbsup:

I was thinking 'They're Canberra wings and engines, but surely they'd be far too big for a Mossie, so where's he cut and shut them?'

Of course you didn't, which is why they look so right, super job there.

Absolutely. Fantastic thinking outside of the box, or in this case, in the box scale  ;).

Well done mate  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Thanks folks.

I have in my stash a pair of Il 28 Nacelles which could possibly be used for something like this.  IIRC the engines were Nene(?) copies anyway plus they contain undercarriage bays.  They are earmarked for a Rotodyne* but maybe would be better on a jet Beaufighter?

*because they are not noisy enough already.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Paper Kosmonaut

Quote from: zenrat on July 24, 2017, 07:10:28 PM
They are earmarked for a Rotodyne*

I see what you did there (-;

I think those nacelles might do fine. And since the Beau flew up to 1960, I think it's worth a try.
dei t dut mout t waiten!

zenrat

Problem with a jet Beau would be getting the main undercarriage far enough back in the wing to allow a tricycle undercarriage to work.  It was hard enough on a Mosquito (nose and the fronts of the nacelles are full of lead) let alone on the more snub nosed Bristol.

Fred

darthspud2

very nice build and a great idea well executed.
I think I'm gonna need a bigger display cabinet!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2017, 03:30:43 AM

Problem with a jet Beau would be getting the main undercarriage far enough back in the wing to allow a tricycle undercarriage to work.  It was hard enough on a Mosquito (nose and the fronts of the nacelles are full of lead) let alone on the more snub nosed Bristol.

Any aircraft can be improved by fitting a longer nose................  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Interesting combo, but works well. I esp. like the short Canberra-esque stance of the new tricycle landing gear.

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

zenrat

Fred