A 'different' Airbus A-400M Atlas - FINISHED!

Started by PR19_Kit, July 26, 2017, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 29, 2017, 05:14:15 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2017, 04:48:38 PM
I hope SMC will have done a while metal version by the time mine collapses.

Don't know about SMC but SAC (Scale Aircraft Conversions) does Kit, got a couple of sets for the two A400's I have.  I'd post a pic but --- you know the story ---

http://www.scaleaircraftconversions.com/moreinfo.cfm?FROM=search&KIT=323

That's who I meant Robert, brain fade setting in here obviously.  ;D

I didn't know they already did one for the A-400M, but they look exactly the same as the plastic bits Revell provide. I'm a tad dubious about those axles still, but I'll try and get a set right away., Thanks for the link.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Well I'm suitably amazed.  :o

Now that the glue's all dried those main gear assemblies seem to be much more rigid that I expected this morning.  :thumbsup:

The model sits nicely on all six sets of legs too, so I used enough nose weight, thank goodness. LOTS of PSR likely today sadly, delayed only by the Hungarian Grand Prix in about an hour.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2017, 06:24:03 PM

Don't know about SMC but SAC (Scale Aircraft Conversions) does Kit, got a couple of sets for the two A400's I have.  I'd post a pic but --- you know the story ---

I didn't know they already did one for the A-400M, but they look exactly the same as the plastic bits Revell provide. I'm a tad dubious about those axles still, but I'll try and get a set right away., Thanks for the link.  :thumbsup:

I haven't looked at the kit for a while but IIRC, the wheels get glued to the round disc too. The axles are just 'line-up' pins.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2017, 03:59:06 AM
delayed only by the Hungarian Grand Prix in about an hour.  ;D

I've already switched it off  ---- snoozefest
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 30, 2017, 05:42:34 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2017, 06:24:03 PM

I haven't looked at the kit for a while but IIRC, the wheels get glued to the round disc too. The axles are just 'line-up' pins.

Ah right, that would make a big difference. The Airfix TSR2 doesn't do that, and it would make a huge difference if it did.

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 30, 2017, 05:53:29 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 30, 2017, 03:59:06 AM
delayed only by the Hungarian Grand Prix in about an hour.  ;D

I've already switched it off  ---- snoozefest

The last 20 laps were pretty good, but the first four or five still finished in the same order that they started.

In the middle of a massive PSR session on the Atlas.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Nice one Kit - looks good!

Technically it'd be 'Snoopy 3' mind you: they've got a converted BAe-146 called the ARA (Atmospheric Research Aircraft) doing that job at the moment. Sadly it's sensor fit is nowhere near as extraordinary as Snoopy's though: just some extra aerials and pipes and a 'tree'  of small tubes on two wing pylons. We were doing the ARA conversion at Woodford while I was there: it was known as 'The Scrapheap Challenge' on the shop floor because there was no bill of materials for it, so the guys working on it were always nicking bits from the RJ production line and causing shortages... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

I didn't know that Harold, thanks. 'Snoopy 3' it is then.  ;D

I'll have to think of a suitable acronym to suit the 'ATLAS' initials, 'Atmospheric & Thermal Location & Assessment System' perhaps?  ;D

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: Weaver on July 30, 2017, 11:41:42 AM
Nice one Kit - looks good!

Technically it'd be 'Snoopy 3' mind you: they've got a converted BAe-146 called the ARA (Atmospheric Research Aircraft) doing that job at the moment. Sadly it's sensor fit is nowhere near as extraordinary as Snoopy's though: just some extra aerials and pipes and a 'tree'  of small tubes on two wing pylons. We were doing the ARA conversion at Woodford while I was there: it was known as 'The Scrapheap Challenge' on the shop floor because there was no bill of materials for it, so the guys working on it were always nicking bits from the RJ production line and causing shortages... :rolleyes:

Mate who worked for the Met Office told me that the 146  is informally  known to those who matter as "Woodstock"  ......so Snoopy 2 may yet be appropriate! 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Maybe I'll call it 'Snoopy too'.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Oh yeah, forgot it has a bulge on the side too:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

With an airframe this big I can do LOTS of bulges.  ;D

I've found one major problem with building big models, they need lots more PSR, and I HATE PSR!!!!  :banghead: :banghead:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

For some reason the registration ; G-LUXE ; amuses me  ;D

No idea why, it just does  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I've had enough of the interminable PSR on this massive model. I think I'll go back to the 'Turquoise Bead Machine' and give this one a rest for a while.

But as General McArthur said ' I shall return!'  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've managed to lose my heavy duty file that I needed to sand the flats on the airbags of the Monterey's beaching trolley, and that called a temporary halt on that job, so I came back to the Atlas.

It took almost two HOURS to finish off the sanding stage of the last batch of PSR, and there's still some more to do later.  :banghead: :banghead:

I assembled some of the other bits and pieces, like the landing gear wheels. Each wheel/tyre is in two halves, left and right, but as there's 14 of them it takes a while to assemble them.

But the main wheels have indexing pips and grooves on the inside.....

Why?  :-\

They don't have flats moulded into the bottom face so they can go together anyway around. I'm starting to think that Revell have added complexity to this model just for its own sake.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

"Alignment pins."  I've had more misalignment problems due to the presence of alignment pins and slots than on things w/out them. (part of this also due to my bad habit of not alway dry fitting parts, too, though)  Sometimes I just file, snap, cut, whatever that mess off and go it my own way.  But yeah, sometimes I wonder why they are one certain things, too.  :o

Missing file, eh? Maybe you need to hire a secretary.  . . . You know... to help you keep track of your files. . . .    ;D
-Sprues McDuck-