A 'different' Airbus A-400M Atlas - FINISHED!

Started by PR19_Kit, July 26, 2017, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sykotik

Actually, you can see quite a bit - more than you think. I could see instrument panel in mine as well as the center console. The top console is a waste of time though

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 15, 2017, 01:22:35 AM
...It makes you wonder why Revell bothered with most of it...

Because if they hadn't then there would have been complaints.  New mould modern kits are expected to have that level of detail.  Look at the Airfix Shack - all that stuff inside that will never be seen again once the fuselage is closed up unless you make it a cutaway.

Is it too late to give this one a sunroof Kit?
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 15, 2017, 03:12:43 AM

Is it too late to give this one a sunroof Kit?
;D

I'm not sure there's a knife strong enough to cut through the umpteen layers of putty, styrene and primer really........

I've been adding the zillions of aerials and things today. What a fiddly job that is! By comparison the rear loading hatch only took me 1/4 hr to glue in place............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The landing gear on this thing is a complete disaster!  :banghead:

I've mentioned the madness of the ultra-thin 'axles' it has for the main wheels, all of which I've cut off as they'd never stand the weight of this monster. I wanted to assemble two main gear wheels and both noes wheels so it would sit on the ground and not squash all the belly mounted aerials flat, but the nose wheel has exactly the same size of ultra-thin axle and one broke off about 5 secs after I'd glued it!

The mainwheels are superglued over their brake discs OK, but it looks like I'll have to install a wire axle for the nose wheels.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

We're cooking with gas now, or we were until I took the pics...........

The whole thing's primered now, as well as all the add-on bits apart from the wheels. I've added the big radome above the cockpit and the AAR probe, plus the ventral strakes under the tail. There's a few very small aerials to add once it's painted, but they're too fragile to stand the masking etc.

Having taken the pics I took the props back off, they're not glued on yet, and one blade fell off! Even worse, one of the main gear wheels also broke off, but not at the glued joint, it broke off at the brake disc!  :banghead:

I've got an idea for a Plan B for those blasted wheels, and I think I'll be having  a few words on the Revell stand at Telford.....

I said I'd got tanks, didn't I? Here they are arrayed in their approx. positions in front of the airframe

The monster radome, displaced from its normal nose position. You can also see some of the lumps and bumps added for the meteorological tasking

The underside showing the lowered tail ramp as well as the zillions of aerials. Note only one main gear wheel.....

The lowered tail ramp and the sealed upper door, and the various sonde ejection devices, as well as the ventral strakes

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Looks impressive in the pic's, Kit, must be doubly-so in person. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

McColm

It's a drone, the worlds first unpiloted Atlas!

PR19_Kit

Hm, yes, it does look like that, doesn't it?

The worlds largest drone as well, in bulk terms.  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

This ruddy model is falling apart faster than I can build it!  :banghead:

It needed a very small amount of PSR under the roof mounted radar pod, and while sanding off the excess putty the end of the AAR probe came off, followed by the radar pod itself! Right after that the one remaining main gear wheel broke off, complete with both disc brakes leaving the leg about 2-3 mm too short! And right after that the end of the 'Towel Rail' aerial under the fuselage snapped off. This was the second time that had happened so it's only 3 sectors long now, from the original five!

At this rate the wings will come off around dinner time tonight.................... :angry:

All I want to do is mask it up for the white bits too. I'm seriously thinking about not painting the surfaces and the lower fuselage the correct Light Aircraft Grey, and just putting 2-3 coats of Klear over the Halfords Grey Primer, which is what I did on my Lightning PR9, and that looks quite good.

[Later] Oh yes, while I was supergluing the missing prop blade back on, the opposite blade came off too! It's hardly surprising as while the blades are maybe 4 mm deep, they're only attached to the hub by a 1mm dia. peg. Totally ridiculous design.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

You sure it's not a re-boxed Mach2 kit, Kit? :unsure: ;) ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 16, 2017, 09:49:52 AM

You sure it's not a re-boxed Mach2 kit, Kit? :unsure: ;) ;D

I'm starting to think that way, yes.

But I've taken a good look around it and can't find any French comments inscribed in the styrene, and I can actually see through the cockpit windows though...........

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

It's because your hands are too big and strong... Are you sure you're not the big bad wolf from Little red riding hood ? ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

JayBee

Can't be. It did not wear a hat like that!  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Now it looks like this, but after a MASSIVE masking job that didn't work too well because my wide masking tape is rubbish!

As you can see the entire mask came off the port tailplane during the spraying and the mask under the port wing came loose too, which is why the port sponson is a nice shade of Halfords Appliance White.

The main white area's OK, but there's a lot more work to get the Light Aircraft Grey applied yet. Ho hum..........

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Well.....  I sure like the color scheme as far as where it's headed. Shame about the tape.  :banghead:

-Sprues McDuck-