A 'different' Airbus A-400M Atlas - FINISHED!

Started by PR19_Kit, July 26, 2017, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Ah, I didn't explain that too well, sorry.

The 'large rectangular part' is actually the rear door for the Atlas and I've glued the drop sonde bits to it already.

I've decided that 'Snoopy Too' had the upper part of its rear door sealed shut, and only the lower part can move, mainly because the upper part is a USELESS fit!  :banghead:

I've downloaded a bunch of pics of the original 'Snoopy' to see if I can figure where those aerial thingies should go.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sykotik

very cool. I know how much of a gap appears in those wing joints - they are like trenches! I made one of these a few years ago in an RNZAF scheme. If I were to do it again, I would make it into a jet engine version but I like where your going with this one
Looking forward to seeing more of this. Have you got a scheme in mind?

PR19_Kit

It's going to look exactly like a large version of the original C-130 'Snoopy', mainly because the conversion kit comes with an excellent decal sheet that has all the DEFRA and QINETIC markings etc.

Luckily the sheet also comes with oodles of red-white stripes for the nose boom!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

I have a boom to paint soon and I'm rolling around the idea of chucking it up in my drill and letting the 15,000 RPMs or whatever spin it around while I hold my paint brush up to it. It either works, or slings paint all over the room.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on October 12, 2017, 03:33:08 AM

I have a boom to paint soon and I'm rolling around the idea of chucking it up in my drill and letting the 15,000 RPMs or whatever spin it around while I hold my paint brush up to it. It either works, or slings paint all over the room.  ;D

Both of the above I suspect.  ;D

If you have a variable speed drill it may work fine at the slowest possible speed though.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Seeing it (there's no way it's a she  ;D) makes me think of a Dornier (I think) project back in the 60's/70's.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

The cockpit design team at Airbus Military must have been great fans of '50 Shades of Grey' as they used every one of them in the A-400M cockpit!

It's the very devil to paint, and it would have been a lot easier had I done it BEFORE I built the rest of the inner fuselage, but that's the breaks sometimes.  :banghead: :banghead:

Anyway it's done now and the canopy is in place, but not without a touch of a fingerprint on one pane, but it should polish out OK when it's dried off. I doubt I'll post a pic of the model's cockpit because you can't see much of it anyway, so I'm not sure why I bothered really.  :unsure:

Interestingly they have modelled the side-stick controllers about 2 FEET behind where they should be, as in the pic below. Which means they are behind the pilot's seats............  :banghead:

Filched from airliners.net

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 11, 2017, 11:42:47 AM
Quote from: McColm on October 11, 2017, 09:14:10 AM

Well there's in-flight refueling tanks carried under the wings on the real thing.

Not on the RAF ones AFAIK.
They can be configured to carry hose and drouge pods under the wings, not "Tanks". And Kit is right, the RAF has no plans for their fleet to act in the tanker role............................. For now.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on October 12, 2017, 07:18:09 PM

Well there's in-flight refueling tanks carried under the wings on the real thing.

They can be configured to carry hose and drouge pods under the wings, not "Tanks". And Kit is right, the RAF has no plans for their fleet to act in the tanker role............................. For now.

Mine has tanks, LOTS of tanks..........  ;D ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 12, 2017, 11:20:40 PM

Challenger, Chieftain, Churchill, Abrams.......  :rolleyes: ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on October 13, 2017, 07:43:31 AM

Challenger, Chieftain, Churchill, Abrams.......  :rolleyes: ;D

Gondor

Hehehe, not QUITE what I had in mind Alastair, and even if both rear doors worked (which they don't on my version) I'm not sure if an A-400M would carry an MBT, would it?  ;D

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: Martin H on October 12, 2017, 07:18:09 PM

That goes with out saying lol
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

I've got the canopy moulding fitted at last, but it's not that wonderful because the fuselage is too wide, as I've mentioned before. I've managed to PSR the joint somewhat, and after masking the windows (what a pain THAT was!) I've primered the whole airframe bar the one wing I was holding. It's a waste of time posting a pic as it's just a large grey lump of course, and I may need even MORE PSR on the canopy joint, but I'll see what it looks like in the morning.

Lots of bits and pieces to add yet of course, but it's getting there.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 12, 2017, 08:24:15 AM
The cockpit design team at Airbus Military must have been great fans of '50 Shades of Grey' as they used every one of them in the A-400M cockpit!

It's the very devil to paint, and it would have been a lot easier had I done it BEFORE I built the rest of the inner fuselage, but that's the breaks sometimes.  :banghead: :banghead:

Anyway it's done now and the canopy is in place, but not without a touch of a fingerprint on one pane, but it should polish out OK when it's dried off. I doubt I'll post a pic of the model's cockpit because you can't see much of it anyway, so I'm not sure why I bothered really.  :unsure:

Interestingly they have modelled the side-stick controllers about 2 FEET behind where they should be, as in the pic below. Which means they are behind the pilot's seats............  :banghead:

Filched from airliners.net
How much of that can you see through the glazing?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on October 15, 2017, 01:11:03 AM

How much of that can you see through the glazing?

Almost nothing, even though it's 1/72 scale and the windows are pretty large. It makes you wonder why Revell bothered with most of it.

Bizarrely they've modelled the two crew rest bunks, which are located sideways across the rear of the cockpit behind a folding screen and they're TOTALLY invisible once you've assembled it.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit