A 'different' Airbus A-400M Atlas - FINISHED!

Started by PR19_Kit, July 26, 2017, 03:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Hey Kit, when are you going to do the modern equivalent of the Herk with the Fulton Skyhook system??  :angel: ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 14, 2018, 08:10:36 PM

Hey Kit, when are you going to do the modern equivalent of the Herk with the Fulton Skyhook system??  :angel: ;D

Hmmm, on a C-5 maybe? They could pick up the entire aircraft, let alone the pilot!  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 15, 2018, 01:00:58 AM

Hmmm, on a C-5 maybe? They could pick up the entire aircraft, let alone the pilot!  ;D ;)

Yeah - have a Guppy-like or roller door-type opening nose and you can just scoop the whatever right out of the sky!  :thumbsup: ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 15, 2018, 02:41:18 AM

Yeah - have a Guppy-like or roller door-type opening nose and you can just scoop the whatever right out of the sky!  :thumbsup: ;D

A C-5 comes like that as standard, but the crew couldn't see what they're trying to scoop up with the standard lifting nose, so maybe it'd have to be twin sideways opening doors? Or perhaps roller blinds?

I'll work on it..... ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Something similar to a garage door, or the B-24 style bomb bay doors...

zenrat

How about an iris door.  It'd look like a giant flying leech...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 15, 2018, 02:45:30 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 15, 2018, 02:41:18 AM

A C-5 comes like that as standard, but the crew couldn't see what they're trying to scoop up with the standard lifting nose, so maybe it'd have to be twin sideways opening doors? Or perhaps roller blinds?

I'll work on it..... ;)

You know how the Sikorsky Skycrane has a second (3rd?) pilot who faces backwards, and whose only job is piloting the thing down onto a load or container? Same principle with the pickup C-5: you have a piloting position that faces downwards in the underside of the nose and is useless in normal flight. However, when the nose is raised to do a pickup and the normal cockpit windows are blocked, the guy in the nose position is now raised up 90 deg and facing forwards, so he flies the plane through the pickup maneuver before handing control back to the normal pilot. Simple.... ;)

More:

The cargo is suspended above the ground by a balloon anchored by a conductive cable with release mechanisms just above and below it. The C-5 extends a ramp forwards from the cargo bay and a pair of rods ahead of the raised nose section, with a wire strung between them. The wire is connected to the positive side of the aircraft's electrical system and the balloon cable is earthed. When the C-5's wire hit the balloon cable, a current flows through it to earth which trips the release mechanisms and released the payload to fall onto the extended cargo ramp. There's a target attached to the balloon cable the same distance above the payload as the pickup pilot is above the cargo bay to give him something to aim at for a height reference.

The cargo bay needs to be empty and the tail ramp open as well to avoid the fuselage acting as a giant parachute, so you need a capture web halfway down the cargo bay which allows air to flow through it but arrests the payload at around the aircraft's CofG. if the payload doesn't have wheels, then it needs to be on a wheeled platform to ensure that it slides cleanly down the bay and doesn't just stop at the nose

This is so simple and foolproof that I can't understand why anyone hasn't done it yet: what could possibly go wrong?   :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on January 16, 2018, 05:37:21 AM

This is so simple and foolproof that I can't understand why anyone hasn't done it yet: what could possibly go wrong?   :wacko:

Yeah, right..................  :o ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 16, 2018, 10:57:14 AM

You're not just Taunting Murphy, you're poking him with a large, pointy stick...

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 16, 2018, 10:57:14 AM

You know, if everyone had your negative attitude, the Titanic wouldn't have even been built...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rick Lowe

"Quit it with them Negative Waves, Moriarity! Woofwoofwoof - that's my other Dog impression..."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 03, 2018, 01:32:43 AM

"Quit it with them Negative Waves, Moriarity! Woofwoofwoof - that's my other Dog impression..."

Hehehe, one of my, and my family's, FAVE films!  ;D

'It's a mother beautiful bridge and it's gonna be there!'

'No it ain't..................'

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Whatever.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Aussie747

Wow, just caught up on this build. What a great idea and superbly executed Kit!  :thumbsup:

Sorry for dragging this thread from the depths but just had to comment on it!
Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T