The CAC CA-30 Sabre Sea Dingo Mk.33

Started by rickshaw, July 31, 2017, 05:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

The CAC CA-30 Sabre-Dingo Mk.33

In 1951, CAC obtained a licence agreement to build the F-86F Sabre. In a major departure from the North American blueprint, it was decided that the CA-27 would be powered by a licence-built version of the Rolls-Royce Avon R.A.7, rather than the General Electric J47. In theory, the Avon was capable of more than double the maximum thrust and double the thrust-to-weight ratio of the US engine. This necessitated a re-design of the fuselage, as the Avon was shorter, wider and lighter than the J47.  Because of the engine change the type is sometimes referred to as the Avon Sabre. To accommodate the Avon, over 60 percent of the fuselage was altered and there was a 25 percent increase in the size of the air intake. Another major revision was in replacing the F-86F's six machine guns with two 30mm ADEN cannon, while other changes were also made to the cockpit and to provide an increased fuel capacity.

The prototype aircraft (designated CA-26 Sabre) first flew on 3 August 1953. The production aircraft were designated the CA-27 Sabre and first deliveries to the Royal Australian Air Force began in 1954. The first batch of aircraft were powered by the Avon 20 engine and were designated the Sabre Mk 30. Between 1957 and 1958 this batch had the wing slats removed and were redesignated Sabre Mk 31. These Sabres were supplemented by 20 new-build aircraft. The last batch of aircraft were designated Sabre Mk 32 and used the Avon 26 engine, of which 69 were built up to 1961.

In 1955, the RAAF issued a request for an all weather fighter.  CAC, responded with a version of their Sabre, modelled on the F-86D "Dog" Sabre.   It was equipped with a radar and chin intake.  However, the RAAF did not like the use of either the air-to-air rockets which constituted the primary armament or that there was a single crewman.  CAC taking a leaf from North American's book, suggested combining the nose of the F-86D with the cockpit of the TF-86 and the fuselage of the CA-27 Avon Sabre.   The CA-30 "Dingo" Sabre was created.   However, it was quickly realise that more modifications than were initially thought necessary were required.  A larger wing was needed and a more powerful version of the Rolls Royce Avon jet engine.   The first prototype rolled out of the CAC factory in July 1956.   It displayed superb performance, as good as the CA-27 and after trials proved it was shown to be capable of intercepting targets at night or in bad weather.

Armed, as was the CA-27 Avon Sabre, initially with two 30mm ADEN cannon, it was to be later equipped with up to four AIM-9B Sidewinder air-to-air missiles.  The RAAF ordered an initial squadron.   The Royal Australian Navy who were looking to requip their fighter squadron aboard it's aircraft carriers with a more modern, radar equipped jet fighter, rather than it's existing Sea Fury planes asked CAC if they could adapt the Avon Dingo to shipboard use.  Again drawing on the resources of North American, they decided to utilise the design of FJ-2 Fury's wing, a navalised version of the F-86.   It could be folded, decreasing its width and allowing the fighter to be stowed easily below decks in the aircraft carriers' hangar.

So was born the Royal Australian Navy's CA-31 Sabre "Sea Dingo".  It served on the RAN's Carriers until 1969 when it was replaced by the A-4G Skyhawk. 

The Model

Many years ago, when I first got into Whiffing, I attempted to model the Sea Dingo. I used a standard Sabre fuselage, a Fuji T-1 trainer cockpit and canopy and an F-86D nose.  I cut the cannon from an Avon Sabre fuselage and faired them into the new fuselage.   I was never pleased with the model.  It just didn't look, well, "right" to me.

Later I bought an Airmodel vacuform F-86 four pack conversion set.  It included the noses of an TF-86, an F-86D, an F-86K and an Avon Sabre.  Ah-ha!  I thought to myself, I can use these, to make a proper Sabre Dingo.  It languished in my spares box for a couple of years until I found a cheap Emhar FJ-2 Fury on Ebay.  As this was to be a Sea Dingo, the Fury was perfect.

So, I finally found the time for a largish conversion job.  First I assembled the Fury kit and cut it's nose off, just behind the cockpit.  I then added the TF-86 cockpit to it.  I then added the Avon Sabre's nose and cut it off just in front of the gun ports.  To that, I then added the F-86D's nose and chin intake.  My goodness, what a long aircraft you have there!  I then moved the Fury's wings forward by about 10mm.  This allowed the balance between the front and the stern to be fixed.  The model was painted with a hairy stick and the decals came from the spares box.   It looks a lot better than the previous attempt, I can assure you.

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

You've been a busy bee Brian  :thumbsup:

I like that, interesting looking aircraft
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Excellent job there Brian.  :thumbsup:

That loooong canopy and the tall fin match very well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Shiver me timbers, that's very cool!!  "Now why didn't I think of that!"   ;D

Great work!
-Sprues McDuck-

Glenn Gilbertson

Good story and a great looking model! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Sea Dingo looks fab. 
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Anyone have the photobucket chops to edit Brian's pics so I can see it with the lid shut?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 31, 2017, 04:30:19 PM
Sea Dingo looks fab. 

Anyone have the photobucket chops to edit Brian's pics so I can see it with the lid shut?

How's this for a quick and dirty canopy closure?

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Brilliant.  Thanks Kit.  It looks as good as I expected.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 31, 2017, 04:50:29 PM
Quote from: zenrat on July 31, 2017, 04:30:19 PM
Sea Dingo looks fab. 

How's this for a quick and dirty canopy closure?

Good enough.  Only lacks the tops of the ejection seats which would be visible through the canopy.   :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

I only spent 10 mins on it! That's why I listed it as a 'quick and dirty' job......

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Nice one Brian, that looks really good!  :thumbsup:

Dassault built a prototype Mystere IVN night-fighter which had an F-86D-style nose allied to a two-seat cockpit, so it's very credible too. I did consider going down this route for my 'UK buys US' background, but I eventually went in another direction.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Captain Canada

An ugly dog is an angry dog.....

:wacko:

Still, that idea is too cool ! I've missed out on so much here these last couple of years. I need to try and play catch up !

*click* *save*

Thanks for the great idea !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

rickshaw

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 09, 2019, 07:53:59 PM
An ugly dog is an angry dog.....

:wacko:

Still, that idea is too cool ! I've missed out on so much here these last couple of years. I need to try and play catch up !

*click* *save*

Thanks for the great idea !

Anytime, mate.  It is a logical progression from the standard Avon Sabre, which IMO should have been undertaken in real life.   :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

Ya for sure it makes sense. Looks good with the canopy closed. I want to build one and fly it around. I just caught on to the Dingo name as well. A little slow up here in the cold lol

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?