Porco Rosso - Savoia S.21 (1/72)

Started by strobez, August 25, 2017, 05:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Glad you're doing this one because I MIGHT (if I find the time) be doing a Porco Rosso 'support aircraft' that would go nicely with it (I have the Savoia kit too and I'm definitely NOT good enough for it yet!).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

strobez

That would be awesome.  I actually have a plan to do several Porco Rosso-related builds.  We'll see how many actually get completed, but the grand plan is for not only the Savoia and Curtiss, but also a Macchi M.52 and a Supermarine Stranraer conversion into the Mamaiuto Gang flying boat.  I've also got a neat scratch idea for the twin security planes.

Not sure if all that can get done during just the GB itself, but I'll give it a go.
Thanks!

Greg

strobez

The GB officially started, right? So I can get back to work on this one now? I'll give it a couple of days though, in lieu of time already spent on this build.
Thanks!

Greg

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: strobez on November 01, 2017, 05:19:28 AM

The GB officially started, right? So I can get back to work on this one now? I'll give it a couple of days though, in lieu of time already spent on this build.

You could have started quite awhile ago as you're in Seoul, aren't you?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

I am in Seoul, so I'm used to "living in the future"... however I'm always late... so it balances out.

On this build, I'm lucky I have this WIP thread to refer to.  It's been so long since I pulled out this project tray (it was stacked under a few others by now), that I didn't even remember what I needed to do next.  After a review though, I think there's a bit more painting work in the cockpit to accomplish and then we'll be on our way again...
Thanks!

Greg

stevehed

I don't know the show but have seen this kit posted several times and it looks a stunner. Just curious but as a mainly  WW1 builder how close to the Macchi M5 is the Savoia fuselage ?

Regards, Steve

strobez

I'm far from an expert, but I've looked at the Macchi M5 as well.  The fuselages are similar, however I think the M5 has a more pointed nose and the cockpit is much closer to the front, so they're quite different.

It took me a while to remember where I left off, but I was able to get a bit more work done finally.  More or less finished off the cockpit.  I took my time and didn't cut any corners - so this is pretty much the best I can do.  One thing I was happy with how it turned out were the pedals.  I didn't like the fact that the 1/72 scale ones were one piece, so I drilled out the space between the pedals and the straps.  A minor thing, but it made me happy... so there. :D

The only things left to do are to a) figure out exactly what colour the chair cushion is supposed to be, and b) give the dash a bit of future so I can apply the dials decal.  Then I can close up the fuselage and get busy on the general construction.
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

It's a lovely little kit isn't it.
I'd love a couple to whiff.  I can imagine one with a radial engine and one with the wings mounted on the fuselage, jet engine and a twin tail.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

strobez

Here's the cockpit all done up.

I've been following the paint callouts from the 1/48 instructions as closely as possible, since I believe they're more accurate.

Now that that's done, i'm trying to figure out what's next.  I dealing with the minor seam now, but soon i'll Have to paint something, and I'm dreading the Tamiya rattle can.  They're lacquer-based paints, right? Can I paint Tamiya acrylics over top? I know there's supposed to be a layer order... but I forgot.  ;D
Thanks!

Greg

Tophe

Quote from: zenrat on November 11, 2017, 01:58:29 AM
jet engine and a twin tail.
A twin tail would be marvelous! :wub: but it is probably too late for our friend to use 2 Q-tip swabs as booms... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

I know from experience that Tamiya TS rattle cans over enamel = a nasty crackled mess.
You are prolly OK with acrylics over them but do a test first and don't blame me if it all goes wrong.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

strobez

I just read blah blah blah, zenrat said it'd be fine!  ;D
Thanks!

Greg

zenrat

Quote from: strobez on November 13, 2017, 01:42:53 AM
I just read blah blah blah, zenrat said it'd be fine!  ;D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-\ :o :unsure:

Enamels under lacquer is the bugger.  It'll look really good but then after a while the lacquer will crack as the enamel continues to gas out underneath it.
Like this Dodge Charger.  Lasted about a month before this happened.
Charger Cracks 004 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Old Wombat

From what I've read & heard enamels can take weeks to months to completely out-gas; lacquers are faster, taking days; while acrylics are even faster, generally being completely dry within a day.

It's generally best to use slower out-gassing paints over faster out-gassing paints - unless you're willing to wait the required full drying/out-gassing time before coating over the previous coat.

DISCLAIMER: All paint drying/out-gassing times are affected by temperature & humidity, & even whether they're matte, semi-gloss or gloss. Lower temperatures, higher humidity & greater gloss increase drying/out-gassing times (sometimes quite considerably). If you can detect even the faintest odour of solvent/paint, it's still out-gassing. Once you can no longer detect any odour give it another hour or two for acrylics, a day for lacquers & a week for enamels. (Note: This is the "very safe" version, which I rarely follow but should - it'd save so many hours of paint repairs! :banghead:)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est