Maskol, a question

Started by NARSES2, August 29, 2017, 06:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

The Whitley's many tiny windows will mean using Maskol which I don't really use that often. Anyway the bottle says don't leave in on the surface for more than 3 days.

What happens if it stays on longer ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

It dries out completely, and if it has been on long enough will need to be sanded off. I know from experience.

One trick I have found to delay this problem is, let it dry overnight then paint over it completely, this keeps it from getting too dry.
For this enamel paint is better than acrylic.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Old Wombat

It hardens & can be a right PITA to remove. I've found that if a coat of paint goes over it very shortly after application you can get up to a week of easy removal, in cool weather.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Two minds with but a single (excellent...) thought.  ;D

And only one minute apart from each other two.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I leave the clear parts off and make the "glass" with PVA after i've painted everything.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 30, 2017, 03:51:17 AM

I leave the clear parts off and make the "glass" with PVA after i've painted everything.

I do too if the windows are small, but for big ones it's not so good.

The upper canopy windows on my Monterey are around 3/4" square. [That's 19mm for those who are Imperially challenged....]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Yes, but on Chris's Whitley they will all be tiny.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Oh sure, as on many WWII subjects.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 30, 2017, 04:08:11 AM
Yes, but on Chris's Whitley they will all be tiny.

Yup, but unfortunately I was so intent on following the instructions I used the clear parts  :banghead:  Should of used PVA.

Anyway thanks gents, most helpful  :thumbsup: The plan is. Day 1 put Maskol on and prime with white. Latter in the day Humbrol Appliance White. Day 2 upper surface colours. Day 3 varnish coat. So I should be o.k. as long as I keep to that.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.