Supermarine Type 224N " Sea Shrew"

Started by andrewj, September 05, 2017, 04:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 05, 2017, 11:56:21 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on September 05, 2017, 07:26:03 PM
Spitfires/Seafires were notorious because of their loooong noses in front of the pilot.  They developed a "side-slip" approach, with the aircraft nose off-centre to allow the pilot to see the carrier's deck before he straightened up to engage the arrestor wire.   I understand the Corsair did similar tricks for the same reason.

Yup. The RN pilots developed a kind of "crab walk" landing, appoaching the deck more or less sideways, so that the pilot could see along the side - otherwise the landing area was not visible at all.

Land based Spitfires tend to do a similar approach too, even now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 06, 2017, 12:21:13 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 05, 2017, 11:56:21 PM
Spitfires/Seafires were notorious because of their loooong noses in front of the pilot.  They developed a "side-slip" approach, with the aircraft nose off-centre to allow the pilot to see the carrier's deck before he straightened up to engage the arrestor wire.   I understand the Corsair did similar tricks for the same reason.

Yup. The RN pilots developed a kind of "crab walk" landing, appoaching the deck more or less sideways, so that the pilot could see along the side - otherwise the landing area was not visible at all.

Land based Spitfires tend to do a similar approach too, even now.

Claimed to be developed by Jeffrey Quill and Eric Brown.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

I wonder how the Sea Shrew would look with either a raised cockpit (like the Sea Fury), or with the whole cockpit moved forward, closer to the engine? Got me thinking and itching...  :rolleyes:

NARSES2

Quote from: andrewj on September 05, 2017, 01:49:25 PM

Yes , it took the Royal Navy to operate it from carriers first and smaller carriers than the US ones too.

And we clipped it's wings  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 08, 2017, 12:43:08 AM

Unthinkable for Kit...  :rolleyes:

Ooer, I guess I'd NEVER build a Fleet Air Arm Corsair then.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Well, there are double-folding mechanisms (e .g. on the Firecrest and the Gannet), I I think they were introduced by the Royal Navy...?
That would even leave some room for extended wings!  ;)

Captain Canada

That's gorgeous. Love the rear 3/4 shot....what a mean looking machine ! Would have made an excellent carrier fighter.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 08, 2017, 04:51:25 AM
Well, there are double-folding mechanisms (e .g. on the Firecrest and the Gannet), I I think they were introduced by the Royal Navy...?
That would even leave some room for extended wings!  ;)

I've thought of having a quadruple or quintuple folded wing on one of my 'extended wing' projects, but I'd always be worried about them breaking in transit to a show.

Regards
Kit

Air21

Id think extra long wings with multiple folds would be pretty unstable on a carrier too.  Lots of linkages for an oscillation to pass back and forth in.  I imagine the sailor solution would be to stow the folded wings with pillow blocks between the segments...

Just an idea ;)

PR19_Kit

I'm not sure about the AEW Gannet, but the AS versions had struts between the inner folding sections and the fixed sections of the wings when they were folded.

Somewhere I've seen a pic that shows this, but can I find it now? NO, darn it!   :banghead:

Regards
Kit

darthspud2

seem to recall a German Navy Gannet with red 'scaffold-poles' locking the wings in the closed position. Must have been 1984 @ Dusseldorf Airport.
I think I'm gonna need a bigger display cabinet!!

Librarian

WOW!! :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:.

I like the Spiteful...but now I LOVE the Spiteful...or is it the Seafang :o.

Gorgeous paintjob too..10/10.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 08, 2017, 08:42:25 AM

Somewhere I've seen a pic that shows this, but can I find it now? NO, darn it!   :banghead:

Found it.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: Air21 on September 05, 2017, 01:33:38 PM
The Corsair was so awful to land that it only flew from land bases until very late in the war.

That was because of the "bounciness" of the undercarriage, not the visibility from the cockpit.  The British proved it could be done about IIRC 12 months before the USN did it.

<snip>

IIRC, one of the main problems with the Seafires was the narrow-track undercart.  Every tail-wheel aircraft has forward-visibility problems - try seeing over the nose of a Cessna 180 sometime.  Also, because the base design was a land-based aircraft, the airframe wasn't really stressed to handle carrier landings.
The Corsair, OTOH, was designed from the outset as a carrier aircraft, with long-stroke oleos and wide-track undercarriage. 
As for who used it first at sea, well, there are a couple of factors.  Look at the legacy aircraft of the respective forces - the US Navy  wasn't used to long-nose aircraft, whilst the Royal Navy was.  Also, the RN really needed a first-class fighter, and couldn't afford to not use what they had. Yhey also didn't have many alternatives.  The USN had the Grumman line, and first pick of the 'cats, including the Hellcat - a contemporary o the Corsair, IIRC - and, the RN had to wait for the USN's needs to be filled before they got a shot at the Hellcat.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."