Tintin Project - the Vehicles

Started by strobez, September 05, 2017, 05:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strobez

LMAO... somehow, despite my warning, I just KNEW Kit was going to show up with an education under his arm...  ;D

It's much appreciated though.  I assumed there might be some missing pieces, but I hedged my bets that a) it would be a few bits and bobs that I could either ignore or scratch up easily enough, or b) it would be one or two of the wheels, and between the 4 bags of LOCOMOTIVES, I'd be able to cobble together something convincing.  I have to admit, when going through the bags, I was initially quite disappointed that one of the main FRAMES was missing, and at first blush I thought it was a game-breaker.  However, after looking at it a bit, I realized that it's mostly just a flat piece of plastic, not one of the more intricate ones with curves and bends.  The breaks are a bit disappointing, but as that will be the "backside" of a static display, you won't really see them behind the wheels.

Besides, with the complete Harrow kit, I can now build a second LOCOMOTIVE that roughly matches the one from the Tintin adventure "The 7 Crystal Balls" as well... depending on if I can squeeze in an extra set of wheels (or just ignore that fact entirely).
Thanks!

Greg

PR19_Kit

Quote from: strobez on February 25, 2019, 03:20:05 PM

LMAO... somehow, despite my warning, I just KNEW Kit was going to show up with an education under his arm...  ;D

As OGL is prone to remind me '.....it's ALWAYS my fault.......'  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2019, 04:13:38 PM
Quote from: strobez on February 25, 2019, 03:20:05 PM

As OGL is prone to remind me '.....it's ALWAYS my fault.......'  ;D ;)

As in: "There's Always One... And It's Usually PR19_Kit!"?? ;D ;D

zenrat

Would it really bug you Kit if we all started building trains and deliberately used the wrong words he asked innocently... :wacko:

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rick Lowe

"Choo-Choos"...

I'm logging off now, to retire to the bunker in order to avoid the incoming...  ;D ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on February 26, 2019, 12:04:27 AM

Would it really bug you Kit if we all started building trains and deliberately used the wrong words he asked innocently... :wacko:

Probably.  ;D ;)

One of the things that stuck with me, even after only nine years working for BR, was the importance of using the correct words when reporting events. That was safety related and it ensured the whole industry read from the same hymn sheet.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

Just to be clear, everything I know about trains, I learned from multiple holiday season viewings of The Polar Express...
Thanks!

Greg

Old Wombat

Quote from: strobez on February 26, 2019, 12:54:12 AM
Just to be clear, everything I know about trains, I learned from multiple holiday season viewings of The Polar Express...

And, now, Kit! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

Ok, with the side frame in place and the wheels on, it's not that noticeable... right? or at least win't Be after a coat of paint.

Now to swap out the smoke stack from one of the spare locomotives.

Trimmed and thinned and trimmed some more.

Looks like it'll fit with a bit more nudging.

A bit of paint on, just to check the "hard to see" seams. Needs more work.. and the inside of the cab as well.

A few scratches up bits to look more like the train in the album.

Safety meeting... where are all the parts? Which ones belong where?

Thanks!

Greg

strobez

Ok... time to take a break from pulling my hair out over electromagnets (see my Flying Jar build in the Unconventional GB if you don't know what I'm talking about) and get a bit of an update on my Tintin "American Locomotive".

Ok, so... paint on... mostly XF-1 black.  The wheels and then rest X-10 gunmetal... maybe I should've gone for something brighter?

Alright, so part 35 clearly is supposed to go through a hole in the underframe.  I see no hole, and no, this isn't the side I scrathbuilt.  Time for some drilling.

Ok... all the main parts are assembled.  Now what?

Time to paint the trim I guess.

Almost forgot, I need to scratchbuild a cow-catcher.

A little bit of cheating, but it looks close enough for me I think.

Now to align everything on the tracks and start getting the base organized.

I had to wait a bit for my package of train tracks showed up, but this one is getting close to being done, so it may take over the pole position in my build rotation.  Besides painting the base and the tracks, I just have a bit more trim work to do.  I'm debating trying to paint anything on the inside of the cab.  Since everything will be glued in place it will be really hard to see anything through the windows.... Hmmm...

Thanks!

Greg

loupgarou

Good to see your loco advancing.
Good results. Maybe you could use some stainless steel colour on the rods. And or an authentic american loco, remove the buffers base. Have a look at some internet photos to check how an american coupler looks like. Or check on evilbay for Kadee couplers.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

strobez

Thanks for the advice loupgarou.  I did a little reading on the physical differences between American and British locomotives, so I get where you're coming from.  However I'm more interested in depicting the train from the Tintin comics, which was an imaginative amalgamation between the two, so I'll keep the buffers as they're clearly and prominently visible in several panels. I posted the reference pics a few pages back in this thread.
Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

I love seeing train stuff here at WIM!  :wub: :thumbsup:
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Would a little bit of dry brushing with a different "black", like NATO Black or Rubber Black, to bring out some highlights help? :unsure:

(NATO Black being more of a dark grey & Rubber Black having a slightly green tinge to it, both are Tamiya colours - I just can't recall the numbers off the top of my head.)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

strobez

Thanks for the tip. A bit of "Dark Iron" here, some "Black" there, a bit of "Flat Black" everywhere and some "Rubber Black" for good luck... :)

Anyway, given that I had to do some major scratchbuilding for one of the main side-frame pieces, I was a bit worried if it was all going to sit properly on the tracks.  So I started working on the base.  Sharp-eyed followers will notice the passenger carriage in the background.  I finally found a good base for which to craft the green "Runaway Carriage" project I've been ruminating on for a while now.  But that's a discussion for another day...

Anway got the base all painted and glued up and the locomotive just barely fits.  It wasn't until I took the pic that I noticed in my final detailing I somehow missed the lenses for the scratchbuilt lamps.

Luckily that was a quick and easy fix to an absent-minded oversight.  I left it to the end because it was a perfect "last touch".  I was going to paint the steam, but it's pretty much solid white in the book and the way I ended up shaping the cotton seemed to catch the light almost perfectly on its own.  I decided not to try and "improve" the situation and just walk away. :)

So there we are.  Got three friends to help move the giant Tamiya bottle in place, and took some glamour pics. :)

Thanks!

Greg