Ideas for the B-36 Peacemaker

Started by McColm, September 14, 2017, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

I see what you mean.
I'd need to stretch the fuselage to match the B-36.
Plan B
Two Catalina flying boats under each wing and a Grumman Gosling to make the front float-minus the engines and wings.

kitnut617

Quote from: McColm on September 19, 2017, 06:41:16 AM
I see what you mean.
I'd need to stretch the fuselage to match the B-36.
Plan B
Two Catalina flying boats under each wing and a Grumman Gosling to make the front float-minus the engines and wings.

What you need is to stick with the XC-99 ---- which amazingly still exists. Supposed to being restored down in the southern States somewhere
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Wikipedia says that while the XC-99 is part of the NMUSAF collection it's currently 'stored' at Davis-Monthan AB because it won't suffer any further corrosion down there. But the Director of the NMUSAF has said that '......said that there would be insufficient resources for restoration for the foreseeable future....'  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

There was a vacform conversion set but I can't find it, must of gone out of production.
I could scratch build but I think this is out of my league. :banghead:
Execuform and GMH provided a conversion set.
With the GMH set you got a 1/72 scaled drawings and photos plus templates for making wooden spars.
Several other modeling sites have tried to get the scaled drawings to scan so that their modeller can build a 1/144 scale. There were rumors of a 1/144 vacform kit but theses seem to have stayed on the drawing board.

McColm

I've always wanted to build a ATL-98 Carvair, but wasn't sure of how to create the cockpit area above the fuselage.
I couldn't get hold of the vacform conversion set and tried using the Airfix Bristol type 170 superfreighter on a DC-6. Which never seemed to work. Yes there's a 1/144 kit but nothing in 1/72. I did propose this to Freightdog when Revell launched the C-54.
Meanwhile as I now have the vacform kit of the B-36  the cockpit area of the Bristol Freighter just might fit. The non-existent landing gear isn't a problem anymore as a raid in the spares box should throw up some options. No need to add propellers to the six engines. With the front of the
B-36 now cut and acting as the loading doors a loading ramp can be scratched built. The upper deck would be used to carry passengers.

Dizzyfugu

Well, there was the real double-deck C-99 transporter...  :o

Snowtrooper

zenrat

I was reading a website today which was mostly the ravings of a paranoid convinced there was a conspiracy within the US Army, led by the Armoured Corps, to stop any development of the capability to airlift tanks into battle to support airbourne troops.
Anyway, he proposed B-36s be used to either tow tank carrying gliders (two per Peacemaker) or be modified to carry paratroopers and/or M41 Walker Bulldogs.  The tanks being carried in the bomb bays with the tracks hanging out into the slipstream.

I also found pics of a B-36 with tracked undercarriage.

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/wait-the-b-36-peacemaker-flew-with-tank-tracks-for-lan-1638780957
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Thanks,
I've got something very similar on Eric the Viking float plane.
Yes I am awear of the XC-99 being a real aircraft.

McColm

McColm

If the Russians had got hold of one I can visualize the main wing being discarded and four wings, two at the front and two at the rear will a rotor stack on each wing.
Twin or quad fins instead of the single vertical tail fin.
Cam doors at the front and rear ends with loading ramps, a possible upper deck for troops to sit.
VC-36 Peacelifter

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 19, 2017, 04:41:16 PM
Wikipedia says that while the XC-99 is part of the NMUSAF collection it's currently 'stored' at Davis-Monthan AB because it won't suffer any further corrosion down there. But the Director of the NMUSAF has said that '......said that there would be insufficient resources for restoration for the foreseeable future....'  :-\

Not sure if the XC-99 ever made it to the desert. I had the pleasure of seeing it and walking all around the bits on the ramp outside the restoration hanger at the air force museum a few years ago. She was broken into numerous sections for the move from Texas to Ohio. Once it was realized how massive a project it was it seems to have moved much down the priority list. The plan was to move into to the desert but I'm not sure that happened. The magnesium panels especially are a real mess. The years at Texas were very hard on her. As the wings were opened up it was fascinating to see the massive ducting to feed/cool the engines.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

The Wikipedia item is written in the present tense.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

A very big parcel arrived for me today, I had a partially built Avro Vulcan to hand which gave me an idea.
A stretched Vulcan; well the forward section of the Vulcan would fit where the lower glazing on the B-36. Fill in the gap where the B-36 canopy should go. Cut the remaining parts of the Vulcan down the seem and remove the tail fins and you have the worlds longest Vulcan. With the Vulcan wings on it doesn't look out of place.
All the other parts can be used on the vacform kit of the B-36.