Ideas for the B-36 Peacemaker

Started by McColm, September 14, 2017, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: McColm on September 20, 2017, 11:13:02 AM
A very big parcel arrived for me today, I had a partially built Avro Vulcan to hand which gave me an idea.
A stretched Vulcan; well the forward section of the Vulcan would fit where the lower glazing on the B-36. Fill in the gap where the B-36 canopy should go. Cut the remaining parts of the Vulcan down the seem and remove the tail fins and you have the worlds longest Vulcan. With the Vulcan wings on it doesn't look out of place.
All the other parts can be used on the vacform kit of the B-36.

Seems you've been reading my Avro Atlantic thread --- right!
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 20, 2017, 06:05:42 PM
Quote from: McColm on September 20, 2017, 11:13:02 AM
A very big parcel arrived for me today, I had a partially built Avro Vulcan to hand which gave me an idea.
A stretched Vulcan; well the forward section of the Vulcan would fit where the lower glazing on the B-36. Fill in the gap where the B-36 canopy should go. Cut the remaining parts of the Vulcan down the seem and remove the tail fins and you have the worlds longest Vulcan. With the Vulcan wings on it doesn't look out of place.
This would work well on the vacform kit, as I have the Vulcan and Peacemaker in the stash.

Seems you've been reading my Avro Atlantic thread --- right!
Yes :thumbsup:

McColm

I've seen photos of the Boeing 747 Dream lifter which gave me an idea of using the
B-36 in a similar layout.

McColm

I came across shapeways.com who sell stock of click2detail.net,  they provide the XB-36 prototype nose and windows,  the NB-36 parts but seems expensive but I suppose this has to justify the exclusivity of such a large aircraft.  Wheels and radar.
I'm tempted to buy the XB-36 nose and cockpit glazing .

McColm

The front half of the 1/72 Lockheed C-130 is slightly bigger than the circumference of the Monogram RB/B-36. Well the Heliplane served it's purpose I'll use the 1/72 Mil-26 Halo for the next one.
The wings from the AMT/ERTL Northrop YB-49 Flying Wing do fit the Peacemaker fuselage although this isn't a perfect fit with a bit of putty/filler this will blend in.
Well it certainly isn't the YB-60, Douglas had something very similar based on the C-133.
I might square off the vertical fin tail.
I know where I can get another B-36 from,  so a four engined beastie shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Mossie

Random idea.  A 1/48 V-2 would be very  close in diameter to a 1/72 B-36 fuselage.  So a you could build a monster rocket or an aircraft with a very pointy nose cone.

And you've got a pair of huge wings and a lot of engines left over for something else.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

63cpe

This might inspire you:

IMG_20180805_200439152 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20180906_134518897 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20180906_134414216 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

More pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/albums/72157698217533564

It's the Miles Malvern Project i made about 2 years ago. It was destroyed as it fell down a staircase while at rest over the staircase  :banghead: :banghead:

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

kerick

Somewhere I saw a rocket body, possibly a Saturn 5, with a B-29 forward fuselage and cockpit. I wonder how that would look using a B-36? Some scale o rama would be required.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

McColm

The Roden 1/72 An-10/12 fuselage is a tighter fit than the C-130 and in my opinion has a similar nose profile of the XB-36,  the same could be said for the loading ramp although I haven't decided on the designation of this build.
The vertical tail fin may suit a large radome perhaps the one from my  HS Andover AEW kit as it is smaller than the
Heller  Boeing E-3A/C.

McColm

The Cammett BAe Nimrod AEW.3 conversion set does fit the Monogram
B-36 .I dry tested it last night,  the only thing on my build will be the B-36 fuselage and landing gear.

zenrat

Quote from: 63cpe on July 06, 2020, 01:40:55 PM
This might inspire you:

IMG_20180805_200439152 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20180906_134518897 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20180906_134414216 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

More pictures here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/albums/72157698217533564

It's the Miles Malvern Project i made about 2 years ago. It was destroyed as it fell down a staircase while at rest over the staircase  :banghead: :banghead:

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

Damn shame.
Was it going to have a vertical tail?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Four for turning and four for burning.
I found two pairs of wings that I have cut down to size for the four engined version. The raised details on the fuselage line up to those of the shortened wings. Scraps of plastic will be used as wing spars to strengthen the joints. I hope that I haven't chucked away what I cut off, so I can use as a template for the wheel wells.

McColm

I've found that the fuselage of the Canadair Twin Otter fits into the bomb bay of the 1/72 Monogram B-36 H/RB-36H Peacemaker if turned upside down,  it creates a troop carrier pod or passenger pod. I have used the the three bumps to cover the gaps where the wings for the Otter should be and inserted the third at the rear to plug the gap,  this acts as fairing. 
Yes it's a gondola  :banghead: that's what I meant to say.

Snowtrooper

Quote from: McColm on August 28, 2020, 02:12:48 AM
I've found that the fuselage of the Canadair Twin Otter fits into the bomb bay of the 1/72 Monogram B-36 H/RB-36H Peacemaker if turned upside down,  it creates a troop carrier pod or passenger pod. I have used the the three bumps to cover the gaps where the wings for the Otter should be and inserted the third at the rear to plug the gap,  this acts as fairing. 
Yes it's a gondola  :banghead: that's what I meant to say.
That's quite an interesting idea. Maybe used for agent / reconnaissance forces insertion deep into Soviet Union or China when there was an urgent need to get boots on the ground as soon as possible, and they would then be extracted either with Skyhook or would make their way across border on foot or would rendezvous with a submarine waiting offshore.