Almost an Eagle........

Started by Glenn, November 29, 2004, 06:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

If you thought 'this' was a bitch to build, my next project is goind to be a P-37.
Lyn

Tophe

Quotemy next project is goind to be a P-37.
Lyn
Lyn, do you mean the YP-37 beauty? Doesn't this one exist as commercial box? In the 1980s, a few Vac "kits" did exist...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

I think there's a resin 1/72 job around, possibly Legatto or LS ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

QuoteI think there's a resin 1/72 job around, possibly Legatto or LS ?
Right... I have checked and found that:

Tophe

Maybe Lyn is sleeping, on her side of the Earth... She will tell us which P37...:

Glenn

Tophe,
  The P-37 will be in 1/48th and I try not to build crappy European aircraft! (unless someone gives them to me) To do it right, I need a P-36 and a lot of hard work.
Lyn, or is that Lynn, nah,
                        it's just Lyn

Tophe

QuoteTophe, The P-37 will be in 1/48th and I try not to build crappy European aircraft! (unless someone gives them to me) To do it right, I need a P-36 and a lot of hard work.
Lyn, or is that Lynn, nah, it's just Lyn
:huh: Sorry if I have said something wrong. I apologize.
- I may use either Glenn/Lynn/Lyn, just tell me. My US brother-in-law is named Lynn, my Filipino sister-in-law is named Eve-Lyn, I mix a little, I may mistype, sorry.
- The Oxford dictionary told me that 'scrappy' is not English but Babel-Fish told me this means "misery". And I do not understand why you called the Polish heroes as misery before they served in the RAF with better planes. I know the US/UK/French aircraft have most of the glory, but I respect Polish and Australian planes as well. I guess you were meaning something as "poor P.37 Los", slaughtered down by the Nazis. And we could say too "poor YP-37, not selected by the USAF"... The what-if principle is to focus not on the highest glory (Flying Tigers' P-40) but other planes that suffered misery (YP-37, P.37), no?
- A 1/48 P-36 seems available, rather cheap (but you may need an in-line engine nose basis moreover?)

Swamphen

'Scrappy' - slang; good fighters for its/their size

'Crappy' - slang; bad, nasty, disgusting

Tophe

Quote'Crappy' - slang; bad, nasty, disgusting
Thanks for the translation.
But I still don't understand why European panes are disgusting (for the ones on the good side). Mystery :huh:  - or joke :) ...

Gary

It's simply a matter of timing and luck more than anything else I believe. European fighter planes were evolving quickly. The Poles may have had bad aeroplanes when they were invaded. But lets twist history around as we so often do.
Arguably the best allied fighter plane during the early part of the war was the Spitfire. But timeing plays a key role in her development and eventual glory. If Hitler's first stroke hadn't been Poland, but stab at England in Sept 1939, what would the Luftwaffa have faced?
If not for the phoney war England and the gang of fantastic aero designers wouln't have had the time to develope the Spit and Hurricane to their technical levels and in any real squadron strength by the time of Operation Sea Lion. Galland and the crew would have faced Battles, Furys and Gladiators and a few of the newer types. we saw the result of those aircraft facing ME-109's in France.
Meanwhile the Poles would have the opportunity to take their aircraft designs to the next level. If England had collapsed like a house of cars like Poland, would the contracts for the Mustang have been written? Would the Merlin have reached such perfection? Would the might of US industry have gone to a war footing in the dramatic way it did. If Poland had ordered 300 P-39's and P-40's and had them delivered for the summer of 1940, would we look at their airforce and her pilots with such distain?
Getting back into modeling

marek

Actually, P.37 Los was one of the best medium bombers at that time.

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/AARG/pzlp37.html

Try to compare it with other planes (Do-17, He-111, Blenheim) from 1939... Check the bomb load and max. take-off weight.

Swamphen

For want of a year, the Polish Air Force would have put quite the dent in the Luftwaffe.

NARSES2

QuoteFor want of a year, the Polish Air Force would have put quite the dent in the Luftwaffe.
I've often thought that myself, but unfortunately their army would still have failed to modernise sufficiently IMHO, and with the Russian's stabbing them in the back, it could only have delayed the inevitable.

The Poles of course were the only Nation who had a sizable force involved from day one of WWII to the final day, and ended up on the winning side ! Forgeting the fact we handed them over to Stalin of course, but that's another story.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

elmayerle

::chuckle:: I've always had this odd "what-if" thought in the back of my mind.  We know that Robert Goddard was near developing a solid-fuel anti-tank rocket at the end of WW I (basically the bazooka) and the research was let drop.  We also know from history that the British did manage to launch Congreve rockets from horses (probably took some intense training to get the horses used to it).  Now, putting these together, I can imagine the Panzer I's and II's of the invasion of Poland being met by Polish cavalry using bazookas.  I don't think it would change the ultimate outcome of the invasion, but it would make life lots more expensive for the German armed forces.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Glenn

Maybe 'Crappy' was a bit harsh, you know me, if it's weird, I don't care which country makes it?
As to 'butchering' a model, rather than buying a kit of the finished said model, I'd rather improve my modelling ability!
The 'crappy' well, I was a bit pissed off at the time, and if I got up someone's nose, sorry.
Tophe, Australia has never really had to design much in the way of Aircraft.
WW1 anything British
'Tween wars'   British (although the Westland Walrus was designed and built because the RAN wanted a flying boat for their capitol ships, ie heavy cruisers)
WW2 British and American
Post war 'ditto' plus some French/Swiss/Italian and Canadian aircraft.
We have designed some on our own, Boomerang/Wirraway/Winjeel/Pika/Jindivak, and the GAF Nomad. But when you are part of 'The Empire', why design something when 'the mother country' makes all you need?
US stuff in WW2, well, they were here worn't they! Although, some of our British designed bombers, Beauforts/Beaufighters did have Prats rather than the British engines.
Lyn