Almost an Eagle........

Started by Glenn, November 29, 2004, 06:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

QuoteWe have designed some on our own, Boomerang/Wirraway/Winjeel/Pika/Jindivak, and the GAF Nomad.
Uh, Lyn, do you mean the CA-15 was just a Mustang copy?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

I have read somewhere that the CA-15 was nick-named Kangaroo, but I was surprised not to see a kangaroo (kangourou in French zoos...) on the roundel of this CA-15 prototype. I have checked with Google, and I had not dreamed: the Aussie roundel has a kangaroo inside (till now, before the new one with the new flag, on the right...).
Though, if I remember well, the 1/72nd Boomerang I had built in the 1980s had not this kangaroo, nor a British red spot in the middle. Maybe it was just blue outside and white inside, I don't remember. Can our dear Aussies explain us the whole story? :)  

Tophe

QuoteMaybe it was just blue outside and white inside, I don't remember.
Yes...

elmayerle

QuoteWe have designed some on our own, Boomerang/Wirraway/Winjeel/Pika/Jindivak, and the GAF Nomad.
Uh, Lyn, do you mean the CA-15 was just a Mustang copy?
Well, I've got the Australian Aviation book on the "Wirraway, Boomerang, and CA-15 in AUstralian Serivce" and the CA-15 was not a Mustang copy.  It was the ultimate result of a design evolution that began with a much- improved Boomerang.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

Quotethe CA-15 was not a Mustang copy.  It was the ultimate result of a design evolution that began with a much- improved Boomerang.
Thanks for this detail. And glory to Australian engineers... :)  

elmayerle

Quotethe CA-15 was not a Mustang copy.  It was the ultimate result of a design evolution that began with a much- improved Boomerang.
Thanks for this detail. And glory to Australian engineers... :)
Indeed.  I've got a resin kit of the radial-engined version which should look interesting on my shelf.  I've also got ideas for an advanced production version with a five-bladed prop and cannons in the wings and an air-racing variant with contra-props.

Swamphen

Australia changed their flag?  :o  When?  :blink:  

Captain Canada

Anybody do a 72nd scale kit of that Kangaroo ? Sure looks ready for a fight !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

QuoteAnybody do a 72nd scale kit of that Kangaroo ? Sure looks ready for a fight !
Wings 72 did a vac-form, which I'm not certain is still available, and there's a Czechmaster resin kit available.  Once upon a time, NKR did 1/72 limited-run both the radial-engined and Griffon-powered versions (as well as an "air-racing" version (contra-props and a "razorback" rear fuselage for drag reduction) of the Griffon one) but I don't believe those are still available.

PS.  That book I mentioned earlier, as well as a number of otehr interesting ones can be found here.  The section in this book on the CA-15 is most useful because it details both the radial-engined version and the one actually produced as well as various proposed armament fits; all useful info for "what-if' models.

*Chuckle* It'd be fun to do a "what-if" cover of the "Arrow, TSR.2, a nd P.1121" in Australian Service".

Tophe

QuoteNKR did 1/72 limited-run both the radial-engined and Griffon-powered versions (as well as an "air-racing" version (contra-props and a "razorback" rear fuselage for drag reduction) of the Griffon one) but I don't believe those are still available.
Very interesting... :)  Does somebody know where to find a picture of the radial-engine CA-15?

Tophe

QuoteAustralia changed their flag?  :o  When?  :blink:
It was in 1998's future... What-if... :D  

elmayerle

QuoteNKR did 1/72 limited-run both the radial-engined and Griffon-powered versions (as well as an "air-racing" version (contra-props and a "razorback" rear fuselage for drag reduction) of the Griffon one) but I don't believe those are still available.
Very interesting... :)  Does somebody know where to find a picture of the radial-engine CA-15?
Tophe, the only place I know of to find it is in the book by Australian Aviation that's on the URL I gave.  They show the softcover version at A$21.95.  I highly recommend that book.  Actually, I highly recommend the entire series as I've got almost all of them.

Captain Canada

Thanks for that info, Ev. I thi k I'll drop an email to Squadron and see about grabbing afew kits.

It surely does look like a great series of books ! But that's just the problem...you want one, you want them all !

And I like that future Australian flag ! Kinda got a CDN feel to it, eh ? Maybe I'll force it on 'em, during the take-over...well, either that, or they're against us !

:wacko:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

QuoteAnd I like that future Australian flag ! Kinda got a CDN feel to it, eh ? Maybe I'll force it on 'em, during the take-over...well, either that, or they're against us !
No need of war, Ossies are just admiring your flag... See the whole article at http://crm911.com/flag/  :)

Ollie

I always knew we were the kings.

Toad, who cares, as long as they supply the beer.

:cheers: