Almost an Eagle........

Started by Glenn, November 29, 2004, 06:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmayerle

QuoteIt surely does look like a great series of books ! But that's just the problem...you want one, you want them all !
Tell me about it, I've got almost all of the series, save for the one or two that covered  no types that I was interested in.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

QuoteIt surely does look like a great series of books ! But that's just the problem...you want one, you want them all !
Tell me about it, I've got almost all of the series, save for the one or two that covered  no types that I was interested in.

Glenn

Hi guys,
       First, the CA-15 may have had P-51D wings and tailplanes, but the fuselage was designed and built around a Griffon engine. I don't know if it still exists, if it does, it will be at Point Cook, at the RAAF museum, with all the other prototypes.
The Kangaroo roundal was developed around the end of the 1950's~early 1960's. Before that, any member of the British Commonwealth, (OZ/Canada/South Africa/NZ) all had RAF roundals.
Here in the PTO, 1941~1945, we had the red centre removed, as did the US and British SEAC. That shot of the P-51D, is in RAAF markings, 1944~45. During the Korean conflict we were back to RAF roundals. The only way to tell airforces apart was the squadron markings and number.
Australia has always used A, and then the code and number, ie Vultee Vengeance A27-216.
As to a CA-15 with a radial engine, yuk, that would be like putting a radial on an Arado Ar-96 or Spitfire!
Lyn

Tophe

QuoteHere in the PTO, 1941~1945, we had the red centre removed, as did the US and British SEAC. During the Korean conflict we were back to RAF roundals.

As to a CA-15 with a radial engine, yuk, that would be like putting a radial on an Arado Ar-96 or Spitfire!
Lyn
Thanks a lot, dear Lyn, for this explanation: of course, as in the Pacific Theatre the enemy roundel was a red circle, it was wise to increase the difference by removing the red centre of British and American roundels, to avoid friendly fire accidents and casualties.

You seem to say that a radial-engine Spitfire is too far away in the What-if World... Hey, I find it just as a wonderful idea... (Just, personnally, I don't like radials, so I prefer the opposite: Griffon-engined Mitsubishi Zero - or Twin-Zero... :wub: )  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

elmayerle

QuoteAs to a CA-15 with a radial engine, yuk, that would be like putting a radial on an Arado Ar-96 or Spitfire!
Lyn
Actually, it's closer to a F4U Corsair or a Sea Fury powered by a R2800.  They did a good job of it in the evolution from the Boomerang to the CA-15.    The radial-engined variant came first, but availabliity problems drove them the the Griffon.

Glenn

Actually, an Arado Ar-96 with a radial engine did exist. Well, not just one, but a few! Next time you watch the movie, "Kelly's Hero's", have a good (freeze frame) look at the US fighter that destroys the half-tracks on the hill top.
Seeing the movie was made in then Yugoslavia, they used the  Jugoslavian airforce with the flight scenes. The fighter is an Ar-96 with a T-6 engine attached!
It took me 20 years to work out what they had done, it seems that once the Argus engines time was spent, they exchanged them for Pratts.
Watching the 96 from the back, with it's slender body, and this bulbus engine, I thought I was seeing things! But, the tail and tailplane, gave it away!
                                        Lyn

Ollie

Sure?  It could have been Sokos Lyn!

Sokos are way cool....

Soko #1

Looks similar, but totally different!

Tophe

Quoteyuk, that would be like putting a radial on an Arado Ar-96 or Spitfire!
Lyn
Hey Lyn, a further idea from your words: what-if Kurt Tank would install a radial cooler (Fw 190D-like) ahead of the Merlin, on a captured Spitfire? Thanks for this wonderful idea, not completely a joke...
As I said, I will probably not build it, I don't like much big noses, but a Fw190D model without radial cooler (V19-like) would be elegant: a beauty...
Thanks again :)  

Tophe

Quoteyuk, that would be like putting a radial on a Spitfire!
Lyn
Hey Lyn, a further idea from your words: what-if Kurt Tank would install a radial cooler (Fw 190D-like) on a captured Spitfire? Thanks for this wonderful idea...
Griffon Spitfire with radial cooler... :)