Removing decals?

Started by seadude, September 18, 2017, 01:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

It's been about 3 days since I finished this model (Post # 7).
http://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php/topic,44237.0.html
And I'm starting to have second thoughts about removing the wolf emblem decals and replacing them with something else.
Can decals be safely removed from a finished model after a certain period of days or not? How easy or difficult would this be?
And if for any reason they couldn't be removed, then could I just repaint over the old decals, then lay new decals over the old spot?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

Did you varnish over the decals yet?

If not there's a reasonable chance to remove them, sometimes you can slide a scalpel blade under one edge and the whole thing will come off with a little levering. In the UK there's a car paint cleaning product called T-Cut that you can use to scrub off decals, but I'm not sure if it's available in the US.

If it's been varnished it's not so easy, although I've had the scalpel method work now and then. T-Cut will work on varnished models too, but invariably I've found it'll need a re-paint, even if it's just the affected panel.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

seadude

QuoteDid you varnish over the decals yet?

Nope.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Actually, would I need to put some decal solution down first to help loosen the decals before removing them? All I have is Micro Sol and Micro Set to work with. I don't have anything else.

PR19_Kit

Sometimes I've found that using the Micro stuff will crinkle the decal up enough so it's almost easy to lift off. Well worth a try I'd say.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

I would try the Micro set or sol and then wash off the remaining with water. I wouldn't paint over a decal as it would show the outline and probably come off down the road.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

I was told by the LMS owner I frequented to use vinegar. Especially if you haven't sealed them in --- But if you've used acrylics --- be careful with any of the suggestions said already.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

Classic office adhesive tape (Scotchtape, Tesa) can work wonders on decals, even with varnish. Just put the tape on the decal, press well, and then zip off. Many women are familiar with this technique.
This can only be risky if you used acrylic paint - this does not really bond well with styrene, so there's an immanent danger that some chips will come off, too.

Good luck, though, such a stunt is never without risks!  :-\

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 18, 2017, 11:52:58 PM
Classic office adhesive tape (Scotchtape, Tesa) can work wonders on decals, even with varnish. Just put the tape on the decal, press well, and then zip off. Many women are familiar with this technique.
This can only be risky if you used acrylic paint - this does not really bond well with styrene, so there's an immanent danger that some chips will come off, too.

Good luck, though, such a stunt is never without risks!  :-\

:thumbsup: Always worked for me....I'm a martyr to decision changes ;D. If I've already varnished then a very light sanding with fine wet sandpaper will erode the edges of the varnish around where the decal was. If you've any old decals and kits try experimenting a bit first.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 18, 2017, 06:19:19 PM
I was told by the LMS owner I frequented to use vinegar.

I think Microset/Microsol are basically weak vinegar ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 19, 2017, 12:46:52 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 18, 2017, 06:19:19 PM
I was told by the LMS owner I frequented to use vinegar.

I think Microset/Microsol are basically weak vinegar ?

From the smell I'd say purified & diluted acetic acid (so, basically vinegar w/out the tasty bits).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

T Cut is automotive cutting compound which is basically a very fine polish.  Something that does the same job will be available in the US.
I used to just scrape the decals off with a blunt plastic scraper.  Mind you back then I was painting solely with enamels (and calling them transfers).
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet