Zeppelin Z747-300 KLM

Started by TomZ, September 21, 2017, 09:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

The Zeppelin model Z747 first flew in 1969 and is by now the most successful model of the company. Although from the outside the Z747 looks a lot like the earlier models and is even strikingly similar to the zeppelins from the 1930s, this is a very different machine from the earlier types.

The construction uses light weight carbon fibre materials and the outer covering is made from high strength acryl fibre sheets. This means that the total empty weight is less than one third of the LZ-129 Hindenburg airship from 1931.

The Z747 is powered by four Daimler Benz DB685 diesel engines producing 5200hp each. This gives the Z747 a range of over 25.000km enabling a non-stop flight from Europe to Australia at a cruising speed of 425km/h. A flight which takes 40 hours.

Like all of the modern airliners the Z747 class uses Helium gas to achieve buoyancy and the class has proven to be very reliable and safe. The Z747 was sold to many international airlines in various models. The Z747-300 which is depicted here can carry a total of 1.175 passengers in economy configuration making it the airliner with the largest capacity available today.

The Z747 was instrumental in the revival of the Zeppelin company which had fallen upon hard times in the 1950s. It was being overshadowed by the US and British zeppelin builders like Boeing, Goodyear and Vickers which offered bigger and more efficient craft. The Z747 restored the Zeppelin company as world leader in the manufacture of passenger airliners.

By 2001 a total of 1900 Z747s of all models had been sold. The Dutch Airline KLM operates a total of twenty-four Z747-300 airliners

Also on my site:  http://www.airwar1946.nl/whif/L46-Z777-300.htm

TomZ
http://www.airwar1946.nl/index.htm
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Old Wombat

Like the build. Like the back story more. ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:  very elegant build, and a crackingly good story
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Spey_Phantom

very clever idea and build, love the idea  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

I just wish it was true, I find the whole airship story fascinating and just wish I could have flown aboard one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

comrade harps

Whatever.

zenrat

Gorgeous.
I'd much rather cruise from Melbourne to Blighty on one of these babies than do it in a metal tube.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

The colors look great on the Zeppelin. I like it a lot.  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on September 22, 2017, 03:22:20 AM
The colors look great on the Zeppelin. I like it a lot.  :thumbsup:

They really do, don't they  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Ah! KLM Freight's answer to Amazon's proposed drone system for deliveries.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on September 22, 2017, 06:38:25 AM

Can you imagine something that size hovering over your front garden while your delivery is lowered on a rope?

Oh WOW!  :o

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 22, 2017, 01:08:54 PM
Quote from: JayBee on September 22, 2017, 06:38:25 AM

Can you imagine something that size hovering over your front garden while your delivery is lowered on a rope?

Oh WOW!  :o

Imagine if you have ordered a grand piano and are wondering if the rope is strong enough... ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

seadude

NO TICKET!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Paper Kosmonaut

A very nice idea indeed! Not only this very well-made model but the whole idea. Getting back that slower pace in travel might be very relaxing. Also, less jet lag, I suppose. And an impressive sight to be seen from the ground as such a 250m long droning cigar slowly passes overhead...
dei t dut mout t waiten!