The Flying Boat, Seaplane and Amphibian G.B - Discussion thread

Started by NARSES2, September 27, 2017, 07:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 28, 2017, 03:29:40 AM
Oooer, I better look out my special Moderator's Hat.  :-\

Is it anything like Mustrum Ridcully's hat?
;)

In recognition of the 100th Anniversary of the October Revolution at least one of my builds will have red stars on.
Probably the Duck kitbash.  This will no longer be mated with a Firefly as I have different plans for that now.  Instead I am toying with using an Airacobra and whatever suitable wings I can find in my "wings and fuselages" box.
The second build I shall start at the beginning of the GB will be a Sky Pirate Kawanishi H6K5 Type 97.  This'll represent the aircraft Captain Fat Hamster used after his Handley Page Henfield got too long in the tooth.  I plan to scratch up a solid "conning tower" which will support the wings and will contain a flying bridge.  it will have dingies slung under the wings and I may add a mast, crows nest and some additional engines.
I also have some ideas regarding a 1/35 AARV but that might take up too much time to really do it justice.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 28, 2017, 06:09:42 AM

Is it anything like Mustrum Ridcully's hat?
;)

NOTHING like that, no, but I had to look it up, not being a Discworld person. All mine are flatter.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Most of the works been done in the set-up Kit. Should now run it'self until we get to extension and judging time  ;) Touching all the wood in my living room as I type that   ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CammNut

I need a ruling re: an already started model - I started a couple of weeks ahead of the GB out of enthusiasm for the idea, but have made little progress, so now need to know if I can bring it in under the GB. Never done a GB before, and have never, ever been able to model to a deadline, but thought it might be worth the try.

Ah, the status to date? Floats from two vacform kits cut out, sanded to size and halves glued together. Interiors of two models painted cockpit green, but nothing glued together, landing gear wells in two sets of wings closed off, but wing halves not joined yet. Er, that's it so far.

Oh, I do have a title:
Fermat's Floatplane Theorem: 2 + 2 = 2 x 5. But Can I prove It?

PR19_Kit

Can you post some pics of how far you've got with it please?

The Moderator's Conference will then determine if we'll allow it or not.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Hi Guys,
Are recycled builds ( built and  then kitbashed to form the one build) allowed ?
:banghead:

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 01, 2017, 04:21:25 AM
Could you add a bit more detail to that request please?
I bought a 1/72 Airfix BAe Nimrod from eBay that had it's fuselage already built and painted hemp with the glazing in place.
I had already started building a second Revell 1/72 Blohm and Voss BV222A Viking flying boat which I had planned to use with a 1/72 Airfix Constellation Super G but didn't fit but the lower fuselage is roughly the same length as the Nimrod's weapons bays.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on November 01, 2017, 06:23:38 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 01, 2017, 04:21:25 AM
Could you add a bit more detail to that request please?
I bought a 1/72 Airfix BAe Nimrod from eBay that had it's fuselage already built and painted hemp with the glazing in place.
I had already started building a second Revell 1/72 Blohm and Voss BV222A Viking flying boat which I had planned to use with a 1/72 Airfix Constellation Super G but didn't fit but the lower fuselage is roughly the same length as the Nimrod's weapons bays.

Hmmm, that's a difficult one. I'll talk to my fellow Mods and see what they think.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on November 01, 2017, 06:23:38 AM

Two of us have discussed this and we both agree that you can't use secondhand models that have already been started parts for two reasons, 1) they've already been started to a considerable extent and 2) Someone else did the 'starting'.

Regards
Kit

McColm

TheChronicOne

Is there any precedent for external (drop) fuel tanks on a single engine piston fighter type plane?

I'm building a P-51 float plane and wondering if it would be goofy to put the drop tanks on. I took a quick stroll around google images and I can't seem to find any floatplanes with drop tanks so I'm wondering.  Did the floats ever double as fuel tanks?
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

I'm not sure about fighters, but the Schneider Trophy racers surely did.

The Supermarine S6B carried all its fuel in the floats, apart from a small transfer tank in the fuselage. And the port float was longer than the starboard one to counteract the enormous torque of the Rolls Royce R engine.

Regards
Kit