The Flying Boat, Seaplane and Amphibian G.B - Discussion thread

Started by NARSES2, September 27, 2017, 07:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

The S6 had asymmetric floats, port 19' 4", stbd. 20' 4", originally both floats were to the same shorter design,
with a downsloped nose, the risk of submarining being considered a livable compromise, the torque problems
led to a redesigned float with a longer, raised nose that was used on the stbd. side. A smaller fuel load was also
carried in the port float to prevent it from submerging.

The floats of the S6A and S6B were symmetrical port to stbd., 22' 0" on the S6A, 24' 0" on the S6B.
The S6A floats were a lengthened version of the S6 floats, the S6B floats were a new design. The
increased volume being adequate to reduce the torque effect pushing down on the port float.

- Schneider Trophy Seaplanes and Flying Boats: The Victors, the Vanquished and Visions, Ralph Pegram, Fonthill Media 2012

The A6M2-N Rufe had an auxiliary tank in the float, this replaced the auxiliary belly tank standard on
the A6M series.

TheChronicOne

Very neat information guys, many thanks.

I totally dig the asymmetric solutions going on using longer floats on one side. Fascinating stuff!

Anyway, more to my question and in light of this newfound information... I think it's safe to to just not use drop tanks at all. Probably a good idea anyway because too much "clutter" may ruin the nice looking "lines" of the subject. In looking around I only managed to find ONE image of a Mustang with floats on it but it does look very good, to my eye!  It had nothing else going on, though, below the wings. I think that may be part of why it looked so cool.   :mellow: :mellow: 
-Sprues McDuck-

Caveman

Here is a train of thought I found interesting. "What if" someone converted a seaplane to a float plane and vice versa. So Sunderland or Catalina without a boat hull but a couple of whopping great floats? Heinkel 115 with a b&v style hull with pontoons? No particular reason other than for s&g
secretprojects forum migrant

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

I've asked Chris to do that, I'm afraid I don't have enough clout to it..
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 17, 2017, 10:24:17 PM
Y'all need to unlock the finished builds thread.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yup, my fault I'm afraid. I should of done it when the GB opened. I'll do it now. Sorry

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

Is it possible to make an entry with a Lego build? (transforming the Lego flying boat) :unsure:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

I don't see why not, but I'll ask my fellow mods.

Watch this space.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The mods have been locked in discussion for many an hour and have decided, by a 3 to 0 majority, that you can enter a LEGO build.

Are you going to glue all the bricks together though, as it may un-build itself before the GB ends?  ;D

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks. The model is already broken back by my son but I made pictures...

TheChronicOne

Well ain't this a coincidence. Last night as I was drifting off to sleep I reached that odd, hazy stage where one can come up with either really great or really dumb ideas and I started thinking about ways to make a hybrid LEGO/traditional styrene kit build of some sort. Hard to explain what I had in my mind but it looked pretty neat. Would mainly be just the regular styrene kit but in certain places like the inner parts of the tops of the wings surfaces, the roof, and the like would have the LEGO surface as a stylistic thing. Wouldn't really be any construction done for the most part but "accent" pieces made of LEGO purely for stylistic reasons.

Then I dozed off. . ..    ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Interesting, and not crazy: do you know the Airfix Quickbuild serial? They are like styrene models from outside, perfect, but inside this is lego parts, assembled by pressing them without glue, just like usual lego. Your way might be opposite, with lego aspect external, but this would simply complete the collection...

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Tophe on November 25, 2017, 06:35:30 PM
Interesting, and not crazy: do you know the Airfix Quickbuild serial? They are like styrene models from outside, perfect, but inside this is lego parts, assembled by pressing them without glue, just like usual lego. Your way might be opposite, with lego aspect external, but this would simply complete the collection...

Actually, this looks like something I DEFINITELY want!! I googled it... I'll have to buy all the airplane kits.  I had no idea such a thing existed!  :wub: :o

Airfix.com

https://www.airfix.com/us-en/quick-build-messerschmitt-bf109e.html

Wow.. the kid part of me is going nuts... this is fun lookin' stuff.
-Sprues McDuck-

Weaver

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 25, 2017, 06:48:06 PM
Quote from: Tophe on November 25, 2017, 06:35:30 PM

Actually, this looks like something I DEFINITELY want!! I googled it... I'll have to buy all the airplane kits.  I had no idea such a thing existed!  :wub: :o

Airfix.com

https://www.airfix.com/us-en/quick-build-messerschmitt-bf109e.html

Wow.. the kid part of me is going nuts... this is fun lookin' stuff.

Totally off-topic, but that pic just made me think of a bizzare/comedy sci-fi weapon: the LEGO Gun. It makes things (and people) turn into Lego and then spontaneously disassemble, leaving their fate in the hands of bystanders who can either leave them in bits or reassemble them, possibly with mistakes and bit-swopping... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

The effect would look a bit like the Oreo 'zap' in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSQrirdIa7A
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TheChronicOne

That's a winning idea if you ask me!! Sounds friggin' awesome. I'd love using that gun in some video game exploits. You ought to uhh... patent or whatever the idea and sell it to the people that make Borderlands or something.  ;D

::::totally wishes he could turn his furniture into Oreos::::: 
-Sprues McDuck-