Inspiration

Started by NARSES2, October 02, 2017, 07:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I've never seen that cargo carrier version before, it's like a MONSTER LCAC.   :o

Thanks for spotting those pics Jon, they've re-triggered my hovercraft interests.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

how about variations around the idea of hybrid seaplane / submarines, like  Ushakov's :

zenrat

We've prolly all seen these before.  But they bear posting.

Ekranoplans.  Imagine them with longer wings so they could soar like an albatross...

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 04, 2017, 02:57:09 AM

Imagine them with longer wings so they could soar like an albatross...

I do that ALL the time.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

Looks like someone turned a Tomcat into an ekranoplan

And I know you've seen these before-

Amphi-Provider

Sea Bronco

Grumman Pelican

:D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on October 04, 2017, 04:55:44 AM

Looks like someone turned a Tomcat into an ekranoplan

Oooooh!

I have a 1/32 scale Tomcat I won in a raffle at the Coventry show a year or so ago. I've also got quite a few Airfix SRN4 hovercraft kits.

Hmmmmmmmm.............

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: ericr on October 04, 2017, 12:59:07 AM

how about variations around the idea of hybrid seaplane / submarines, like  Ushakov's :

That's the one I was thinking of  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

A float conversion as a standard feature was considered for the OV-10, right from the start.

Note that the drawing and mockup are of the original prototype configuration with the short
span wing. The wing was lengthened on the production aircraft and the booms were moved
outboard slightly. Interestingly the old 1/48 Hawk/Testors kit was originally released as the
YOV-10A prototype, when they retooled the wing to production span, Hawk didn't alter the
boom position and horizontal stab width, so with very simple surgery one can model the
the six prototypes.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on October 04, 2017, 10:42:14 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_P.7

Oh yes, one awesome machine, such a pity it didn't work too well. It could have held the World Water Speed Record and Air Speed Record at the same time!  ;D

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Yes, apart from the mechanical complications, even if in northern Italy we have 3 quite long lakes, I am not sure if their length would have been enough for take off.  :rolleyes:
Water propeller on, get to planing speed, clutch in the airscrew, disengage water propeller, get to airspeed...and the lakes are sorrounded by mountains... :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

How about the lagoon at Orbetello? There was a flying boat base there in the 1930s - 40s and they operated flying boats from the lagoon. The ramps and hardstanding are still there.

Regards
Kit

jcf

For those inclined to things with lots of fiddly rigging  ;), the pre-WWI Bristol-Burney 'X' series hydrofoil aircraft.

http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft29516.htm

X2

X3

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 04, 2017, 11:49:21 AM
How about the lagoon at Orbetello? There was a flying boat base there in the 1930s - 40s and they operated flying boats from the lagoon. The ramps and hardstanding are still there.

Compared to the Maggiore (64 km length) , Garda (52 km) or Como (45 km) lakes, I think the Orbetello lagoon is VERY small.  ;) AND,according to Wikipedia, has a maximum depth of 1,5 metres.  :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kerick

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 04, 2017, 09:00:15 AM
A float conversion as a standard feature was considered for the OV-10, right from the start.

Note that the drawing and mockup are of the original prototype configuration with the short
span wing. The wing was lengthened on the production aircraft and the booms were moved
outboard slightly. Interestingly the old 1/48 Hawk/Testors kit was originally released as the
YOV-10A prototype, when they retooled the wing to production span, Hawk didn't alter the
boom position and horizontal stab width, so with very simple surgery one can model the
the six prototypes.

I have this kit in the stash. Short wing and "chrome" plated with the State Dept decals. Now where to find some 1/48th proper size floats?
Maybe a diorama of a lake in Canada with some fishermen.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise