Inspiration

Started by NARSES2, October 02, 2017, 07:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Seeing that LVT with Chaffee turret has certainly got the brain in overtime  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2017, 07:02:54 AM
Quote from: Caveman on October 20, 2017, 06:40:57 AM

Anyone else see a 190 and Catalina getting it on in the side view?

Definitely, that's just what I thought.  ;D

or a BV138 flying clog ?  :rolleyes:

Caveman

Whatever floats your boa... er, plane.

Hat, coat, taxi...
secretprojects forum migrant

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2017, 06:34:22 AM
Apart from the Blackburn B20 (see post #2 of this thread) did anyone actually build and fly a flying boat with a retractable hull/central float?

The WWI German Ursinis fighter prototype had twin retractable floats.

jcf

Seawolf Express supposedly coming soon as fast transport from Helsinki to Tallin.

https://majandus24.postimees.ee/4285555/holjukireiside-korraldaja-laheb-arimeest-30-minutiga-ule-lahe-viima

Snowtrooper

As awesome as a passenger ekranoplan sounds, the Seawolf Express has made rounds in the Finnish press since the company was established in 2015 (ie. the company puts out a new press release every now and then to keep up interest) and nothing concrete has actualized so far - mainly because the intended vehicle (RDC Aqualines EP-15) hasn't even flown yet.

Of course, in the whiffworld everything is possible :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Found this one here, accidently, a submersible ekranoplan:

PR19_Kit

That's pretty interesting, I'm surprised the Russians haven't tried it already.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Looks like something from Kerbal
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

jcf

More on Seawolf Express, from the machune designer/builder RDC-Aqualines.

So far it looks like they've only built and run models and a scaled down test article.

The GIF looks particularly suspicious.  ;D

https://www.rdc-aqualines.ru/en/

Brochures:
https://www.rdc-aqualines.ru/images/EP-15_brochure_ENG.pdf

https://www.rdc-aqualines.ru/images/ES-108_ENG.pdf

https://www.rdc-aqualines.ru/images/booklet_eng.pdf

Old Wombat

The GIF looks like a snippet of footage of a towed model.

There looks to be a small attachment point for a line at the front of the model, just below the point of the nose, & I'd hazard a guess that it's being filmed from the tow-boat, with the tow line attached to a pole near the bow of the tow-boat & long enough to keep the model away from the boat's bow-wave.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

Supposedly a free-flight model, and the animated gif looks like it's made from 4-5 images repeating endlessly,
rather than a snippet of footage.

Old Wombat

A snippet can be a very small amount. In this case about 1/4 second of film (so about 4-6 frames) repeated. Which indicates to me it probably went t!ts-up very shortly after they started filming.

I'd be much more suspicious of the "free-flight" claim because there's no sign of any form of propulsion, the model stays pretty-much perfectly centred, & there's no change of angle between the camera & the model.

Of course, if they're lying about one inconsequential thing, they're probably lying about a whole heap of more critical stuff.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

ChernayaAkula

Regarding the lack of propulsion, I guess there's a possible explanation for that. I recall having seen a documentary on the"Caspian Sea Monster". They also showed some footage of test vehicles - some unmanned gliders, some with pilots - that were launched from the shore by a catapult-like device. They looked a bit like the V1 launch ramps. The gliders would leave the catapult, drop a bit, bht then settle on the "air cushion" provided by the WIG effect and glide much farther before eventually settling in the lake.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

jcf

The full-size vehicle is to have a water propeller for hull-borne propulsion, so the model could have a propulsion
pod mounted below the centre and thus out of view. The wake beneath, and the visible spray humps,
suggest, to me, that this may be the case. A pod would enable something as relatively light as the model
to become wing-borne and would give some stability.