Inspiration

Started by NARSES2, October 02, 2017, 07:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

If one wanted to do it in 1/48, or larger, 1/72 Douglas DB-7/A-20/Boston wings
might be a possibility.

McColm

I might have mentioned this before but I can't find where I put it, the AW Argosy.
Substitute the landing wheels for a pair of floats and a float where the nose wheel would be. Add a pair of auxiliary turbojets on top of each wing :banghead:

The Rat

Quote from: McColm on November 01, 2017, 03:59:37 AM
I might have mentioned this before but I can't find where I put it, the AW Argosy.
Substitute the landing wheels for a pair of floats and a float where the nose wheel would be. Add a pair of auxiliary turbojets on top of each wing :banghead:

I've often thought of putting a planing hull on one, making it a true flying boat. But I don't think there's ever been a kit of one. I would also like to do the same with a Blackburn Beverly.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Quote from: McColm on October 30, 2017, 01:49:59 PM
There's been a few ideas to convert the Airfix 1/72 HS/BAe Nimrod into a flying boat.
I doubt that anyone has changed the wings from turbojet to turboprop.

Did this tiny one, similar arrangement might work for the Airfix one. Or maybe use the Airfix Comet as a base and build up the hull on that.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Weaver

Quote from: The Rat on November 01, 2017, 07:24:08 PM

I've often thought of putting a planing hull on one, making it a true flying boat. But I don't think there's ever been a kit of one. I would also like to do the same with a Blackburn Beverly.

There are actually THREE Argosy kits available at the moment: Mach 2 injection in 1/72nd scale, Micro-Mir injection in 1/144th scale and Welsh Models vac-form in 1/144th: https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=&keyword_search=argosy&setPerPage=25&currency_id=
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

Quote from: Weaver on November 01, 2017, 07:31:33 PM

There are actually THREE Argosy kits available at the moment: Mach 2 injection in 1/72nd scale, Micro-Mir injection in 1/144th scale and Welsh Models vac-form in 1/144th: https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=&keyword_search=argosy&setPerPage=25&currency_id=
I converted the Mach2 kit into a gunship with AC-119G wings and twin booms, the engines were replaced with Rolls-Royce Tynes.
Just waiting on the decision whether or not the committee will except recycled builds.

Snowtrooper

The Avpro Marauder in the other thread reminded me (again) of the SSTO flying boat space shuttles (yes) from Jerry Pournelle's CoDominium universe (which I had mentioned in the passing in a previous BtS thread). One artistic interpretation here - though the Marauder actually looks like a more viable concept, considering the unfortunate placement of the intakes of these beasts:
https://alangutierrezart.deviantart.com/art/Warworld-Codominium-Codominium-Takeover-318783711
(more non-flying boat art in the same universe by the same artist here: http://alangutierrezart.deviantart.com/gallery/40681668/Warworld-Codominium )

The Rat

Thanks, but those prices are out of my league at the moment. If I can find the Heller Nord Noratlas I could do that. They did one in 1/72 and 1/170

Weaver

Quote from: The Rat on November 05, 2017, 05:48:23 PM

Thanks, but those prices are out of my league at the moment. If I can find the Heller Nord Noratlas I could do that. They did one in 1/72 and 1/170

I've got the Heller Noratlases in both scales, but I havn't built either of them. The 1/72nd one looks nice. The 1/170th one is a PoS: covered in massive rivet and very ill-fitting. Useful to provide parts though...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I didn't immediately grok what this was.

Rohrbachs

And some amphibious motorbikes, scooters and other light vehicles.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

jcf

Ursinis Floatplane fighter WWI.

kitnut617

First time I've seen that one Jon  :thumbsup:  that's a very advanced concept for back then (1916-17)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 17, 2017, 05:41:00 AM
First time I've seen that one Jon  :thumbsup:  that's a very advanced concept for back then (1916-17)

There was an article on it in an old issue of Cross and Cockade, fascinating project.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Looks like what triggered Blackburn's idea for the B20 etc. Very clever.

Sadly it seems it never flew, what a pity.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

amazing picture here, some stuff I never before :
seaplanes are an endless joy  ;D