Model aircraft "in-flight" on display stands.

Started by seadude, October 04, 2017, 07:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

The Wooksta, who I believe has claimed the invention of the term, is pretty explicit that it means "Joyless Modelling Numpty".

I'm not sure he stated this line: JMN behavior can be broadly described as anal retentive, and can stem from insecurity resulting from having a small p***s. :o

Not sure about the creativity of a free-range garden slug bit, either, but it fits. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 09, 2017, 01:48:41 AM
I found this definition here on Urban Dictionary.  Interesting attribution.

JMN is a term coined by speculative modeling extraordinaire "The Wooksta!" It is an acronym for Joyless Modeling Nazi.

A JMN is (almost always)a grown adult who dares take plastic models seriously; having forgotten what was fun about it to begin with. They have all the resources and knowledge in the world to become respectable hobbyists, but have the creativity of a free-range garden slug.

JMN behavior can be broadly described as anal retentive, and can stem from insecurity resulting from having a small p***s.

Hehehe, I LOVE it!  :thumbsup:

I liked the examples listed too, such as :-

Anyone who can sit through a seminar about Messerschmitt Bf 109s without falling asleep

A guy who buys more than one Airfix TSR.2 but will only build them in historically accurate paint schemes.

The snooty clerk at the hobby store who faints when you buy a rare OOP Aurora model kit from the 1960s only to chop it up and turn it into a flying submarine robot.

Any jerk at a modeling club who says contests are for "Serious Modelers only"(meow)

The nerd who collects video stills from every possible angle of the USS Enterprise-D in order find out where the septic tanks flush out and modify his AMT kit accordingly.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 09, 2017, 02:15:47 AM
The Wooksta, who I believe has claimed the invention of the term, is pretty explicit that it means "Joyless Modelling Numpty".

In fairness it did start off as Nazi but Lee changed it many a moon ago for various reasons.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Love that definition of JMN! ;D :thumbsup:
I've never been to a contest/show but i've had my encounters with some on Facebook and a Portuguese forum and the attitude is just pathetic.
Personally, i like to display them both ways, i just don't do it more often cause i don't have enough good stands to put them on... which is no excuse cause i could build them myself or buy some... :banghead:
I just prefer to have them wheels up when in flight, although a good take off/landing scene can be depicted on a stand. Don't think i've ever seen a display of an aircraft like it was banking to line up with the runway to land, that would look cool and would also allow to have more of the underside showing, making it easier to see the details of the gear, etc..
I wouldn't leave the canopy open on an a model of a modern jet depicted on an "in flight" scene, to me it doesn't make much sense but i also think it all depends on the modeller's intention. I may or may not like it but, why should it be "the wrong way"? It's your model and you do what you want with it, even if it means having a model on fire on a stand, with a fan in front of it, simulating it was just hit by a missile! :wacko:
Ok, enough of that, time for my pills...
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

seadude

QuoteI wouldn't leave the canopy open on an a model of a modern jet depicted on an "in flight" scene, to me it doesn't make much sense but i also think it all depends on the modeller's intention.

I only left the canopy open on my Warwolf Shinden so other people can get a better look at the inside of the cockpit.
And for what it's worth, neither model is glued directly to the stands. I can leave off the stands and put the models on their landing gear if needed.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Every time I think of or somebody mentions JMN, I'm always reminded of this picture.  ;D

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: seadude on October 09, 2017, 12:42:55 PM
QuoteI wouldn't leave the canopy open on an a model of a modern jet depicted on an "in flight" scene, to me it doesn't make much sense but i also think it all depends on the modeller's intention.

I only left the canopy open on my Warwolf Shinden so other people can get a better look at the inside of the cockpit.
And for what it's worth, neither model is glued directly to the stands. I can leave off the stands and put the models on their landing gear if needed.

And i think that makes sense. If one wants to show the cockpit detail, i don't see why it can't be displayed like that. I don't believe in rules for displaying models, IMHO, it's up to the modeller. Don't listen to the critics, do your own thing and keep having fun.   :thumbsup:
I'd never seen that dio before... besides being very nice work, i think it's an excellent representation of JMNs at work... ;D

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

strobez

Thanks!

Greg

loupgarou

Delightful diorama. Has anyone been brave enough to bring it to a Model Show?  ;D
What's the title of the book ? I cannot read it.  <_<
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

DogfighterZen

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 09, 2017, 06:08:33 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on October 09, 2017, 02:15:47 AM

In fairness it did start off as Nazi but Lee changed it many a moon ago for various reasons.

How about that.  I didn't know Lee had coined it.
You should blow your own trumpet a bit more mate.
:thumbsup:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Lovely little diorama and I have seen something very similar at a model show I went to. For various reasons I wont say where, "no names, no pack drill" as they say. Mind you in mitigation the standard of models in the contest was exceptional and that was probably the only way to separate them, plus the rest of the show was  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen