Soviet WW2 bomber colors.

Started by seadude, October 04, 2017, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Probably next week, I'll start building the following into a post-WW2 what if Soviet bomber. I'm thinking maybe a timeframe of around late 1940's or early 1950's.
What were some Soviet bomber color schemes during that timeframe? Camouflage is out of the question as I don't do camouflage. I've seen some pics of Soviet WW2 or post WW2 bombers where the underside looks like a light sky blue color. I'm a bit limited right now and can't afford new paints, but I do have Testors Duck Egg Blue color. Could that be substituted in a pinch? Also, what were the colors of landing gear and the wheel wells on Soviet bombers?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

perttime

I think the Soviets were going for natural metal, light greys and whites in 1950s - just like many others.

seadude

Another question I had would be the cockpit color. Did the Soviets use that weird blue/green turquoise color during WW2 or slightly thereafter? When was that color adopted?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Spey_Phantom

i would go natural metal for the outside, much like the Tupolev Tu-4 Bull.

as for the cockpit, i would go with the Greenish Blue they used in the early Mig jet fighter.
here's the cockpit of the Tu-4.

https://www.picquery.com/tu-4-cockpit_HVV5acME*%7c7QVIfHR7J1XGU0lN5dT9k*dcHVPxHGePE/

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

dadlamassu

Librarian

Have a look at the Colourcoats range here

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats-air/russian

I love the underside blue with the AMT-11 and AMT-12 greys on the upper surfaces...they were used into the time-frame you're looking at. TU-2 certainly had them

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/flaviation/Xuntong-1-48-Tupolev-Tu-2S.php)

seadude

I'm kinda strongly thinking about an all metal color scheme at the moment. I don't think that blue/green cockpit color is carried anymore by Testors that I'm aware of. At least, I haven't seen it at my local hobby store anymore. :(  Anybody have any idea what the landing gear and wheel wells would have been painted? Bomb bay too.

Librarian

Humbrol 167 Barley Grey is an almost perfect match for wheelbay and u/c legs on most post-war jets.

seadude

Quote from: Librarian on October 04, 2017, 03:43:53 PM
Humbrol 167 Barley Grey is an almost perfect match for wheelbay and u/c legs on most post-war jets.

The closest equivalent to a Testors color I could find might be Light Ghost Grey. Maybe that might work.

Dizzyfugu

NMF is a good choice for a post-WWII Soviet aircraft, be it a prototype or a service aircraft. Soem smaller aircraft were painted uniform green and blue (Humbrol 114 and 115, but they are both OOP; FS 34096 and 35237 come close). Camouflage was only applied to some tactical aircraft, most fighters and esp. bombers remained unpaited (or just covered with a clear coat against corrosion). Some fighters carried an all-grey livery, tough.
And for the interior you can easily mix tones - the cockpit teal tone is not really defined, I have seen pics of anything from bright green to a dull blue-grey (similar to PRU Blue), and the undercarriage and the respective wells can also be anything, from light grey over a blue-grey up to a metallic-brownish color and even a deep blue. And: bright green wheel discs and di-electruic panels are a must!  ;)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Wasn't there a Yak 28 up there yesterday?
I've dragged one of my A Model kits of one out of the stash.  Some parts are still sticky with what I presume is mould release.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Yes, there was. Should have been a recce/ECM variant, when cammo'ed.  :o

dadlamassu

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 06, 2017, 04:48:32 AM
Yes, there was. Should have been a recce/ECM variant, when cammo'ed.  :o

There was and it disappeared(?) cannot remember which one I posted

seadude

As nice as those camo art pictures are, I will not be doing camo for my Soviet Arado model.