chrisonord

Stop giving me ideas you lot  ;D Capybara, could work yeah.... :wacko:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Martin H

Quote from: JayBee on October 07, 2017, 03:51:37 AM
I had  no idea as  to how the vehicle registration system worked in the UK MOD.

Im not convinced the MOD understands it either. :blink: :blink:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

dadlamassu

Of course you could also have Berliet Aurochs as well

Civil versions

PR19_Kit

If that isn't a Stolly built under licence, I don't know what is. It's pretty much identical.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 12, 2017, 11:13:24 PM
If that isn't a Stolly built under licence, I don't know what is. It's pretty much identical.

Yes, of course it was. Or better, it was a Stalwart renamed Aurochs in the attempt to sell them to the french army. In that case, Berliet would have built them under licence.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: Martin H on October 12, 2017, 07:22:01 PM

Reading things backwards, or at least from right to left, can help with lots of official documents  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 13, 2017, 06:59:12 AM
Quote from: Martin H on October 12, 2017, 07:22:01 PM

Reading things backwards, or at least from right to left, can help with lots of official documents  ;D

Going from the bottom upwards works sometimes too.

When we were quoting for the Electric Catapults on the QE Class carriers, before they decided not to have them, the spec got to page 20 or so before the word 'Ship' or 'vessel' occurred!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

..... and I have just received this little gem of info from Mossie/Simon.

By the way, one thing I found when I built (well, nearly) the BW Models kit is that the RAF had at least two Stollies (they did a boxing) as a Reef Rescue Unit at RAF Gan.  One had a dayglo orange stripe, the other a yellow cab.  Guess what?  They retained their Army reg's.  :thumbsup:  One in the eye to the JMN!
http://www.tonysirrell.com/raf-gan-work.php

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on October 13, 2017, 09:25:01 AM

By the way, one thing I found when I built (well, nearly) the BW Models kit is that the RAF had at least two Stollies (they did a boxing) as a Reef Rescue Unit at RAF Gan.  One had a dayglo orange stripe, the other a yellow cab.  Guess what?  They retained their Army reg's.  :thumbsup:  One in the eye to the JMN!

There you are, just what I said in the Monterey backstory!  ;D ;D

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 13, 2017, 09:27:38 AM

I just read that as 'Beef Rescue Unit'.....  :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

dadlamassu

Maybe the kits retained army numbers but the RAF Fire Service Stollie on Gan with orange stripe had an RAF number with AG in the centre not an army one.

There is also this one:

Gondor

Quote from: Weaver on October 13, 2017, 09:36:07 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 13, 2017, 09:27:38 AM

I just read that as 'Beef Rescue Unit'.....  :o

Your not the only one  :o

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

That '17' pink one's a Mk 1 too, pretty unusual on two levels.

Regards
Kit

marky

Quote from: JayBee on October 05, 2017, 09:11:55 AM
In the late 1980's The British MOD decided that all their vehicles should be diesel powered.
The Stalwart didn't just go because of the engine. The MOD decided that because of the increased speed of bridge building due to the MGB, that the amphibious requirement was not necessary - and amphibious vehicles are costly high maintenance. In 1982/83 the order was given to remove the splash boards, propulsion units and drive shafts, and tiller controls. REME declared that Man hours to remove all of that was too costly, which is why many retained their propulsion units.

Alvis, builder of many military vehicles, did not want to lose any of that lucrative market, and the Stalwart general purpose "go anywhere" vehicle was the first one that they turned their attention to.
Nope. The last stalwart was made in 1971. Converting it to diesel would make no difference to Alvis
Bedford tried to build a 6x6 TM HMLC replacement for the stalwart, but used a standard straight chassis rail which bent when the vehicle went over a knife edge

The first idea that they came up with was an "In field" conversion kit that would allow users to convert their Stalwarts from petrol to diesel. This proved popular and vehicles so modified became known as Mk2(DC) i.e. Diesel Conversion.

The next step was to introduce this conversion into a mainstream production variant. However in doing this Alvis re-designed one aspect of the Stalwart, the Differential gearing of the final drive train. The original design had just a single differential in the centre of the vehicle controlling all wheels, this did not work very well. The new system had individual differentials for each wheel.

The new Mk3's were offered in either petrol or diesel version to the customer, and proved very popular. With many examples still serving around the world in 2017.
There is no Mk 3
A F Budge bought a number of British and Swedish Stalwarts, and converted a couple to diesel power with Cummings diesels.
The telltale sign is that the exhaust is on the left side instead of the right side of the vehicle
The Royal Marines showed interest, but no order was submitted.

The central limited slip differential works very well. The off road capability is phenomenal. Putting differentials on each wheel station would make it useless

The example shown here was operated by the RAF Regiment at Kandahar airfield in Afghanistan.

The RAF were loaned two Stalwarts, used at RAF Gan.  07ER57 (Chassis STAL 11 002) became 09AH16, and 07ER63 (STAL 11 008) became 00AG79. RAF didn't use them anywhere else.
Your model has Army registration for STAL 016, a Mk 1 vehicle. But you've put the reg on a Mk 2 vehicle. The obvious difference between the Mk 1 and 2 is that the Mk 1 had rectangular windows.

Stalwarts never got to Gulf 1

marky

Quote from: Gondor on October 05, 2017, 11:12:36 AM
So what is the difference between the versions visually?

Gondor
The obvious between the Mk 1 and Mk 2 is that the Mk 1 had rectangular windows, and the Mk 2 had slanted ones for improved visibility.
Mk 1

Most Mk 1 didn't have an internal winch either

Mk 2