No MiG: impact on Soviet aviation?

Started by Default Setting, October 18, 2017, 12:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Default Setting

In 1914 Mikhail Gurevich, the second half of the MiG design bureau, was studying in France. He travelled back to Russia for summer break shortly before the start of the war. Had he been delayed, he would have had to spend the war years in France, and might have become a permanent expatriate. Without him there is no Mikoyan-Gurevich. So what Soviet aircraft fill the void? Specifically, which line of Soviet fighters would have replaced the MiG-15 and its successors throughout the Cold War?
The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it.
-- Oscar Wilde

Spey_Phantom

Yakovlev, Sukhoi's and Lavochkins.  <_<
the Lavochkin La-15 was a rirect competitor to the Mig-15.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Nils on October 18, 2017, 12:24:42 PM
Yakovlev, Sukhoi's and Lavochkins.  <_<
the Lavochkin La-15 was a rirect competitor to the Mig-15.

Second that. The La-15 was the fall-back option for the MiG-15 that actually made it to a small production series, and Yakovlew also had develeoped some fighter prototypes which were more conservative. There would not have been a lack of aircraft ingenuity, IMHO.

zenrat

In the absence of Mikhail Gurevich I think you will find that Artem Mikoyan would have teamed up with aeronautical engineers from the People's Democratic Republic of Victoria to form the Mikoyan-zenrat design bureau producing the Miz line of aircraft... :mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 19, 2017, 01:27:54 AM

In the absence of Mikhail Gurevich I think you will find that Artem Mikoyan would have teamed up with aeronautical engineers from the People's Democratic Republic of Victoria to form the Mikoyan-zenrat design bureau producing the Miz line of aircraft... :mellow:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AS.12

The La-15 wasn't a direct competitor to the MiG-15, it was a scaled-down design to meet a 'frontal fighter' requirement around the less-powerful Derwent.  The two were an early analog of the MiG-29 and Su-27 co-operative rivalry.

The Nene-powered MiG-15 rival was the earlier La-168 which flew-off well against the MiG but was scuppered by complex construction.

tahsin

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on October 19, 2017, 01:27:54 AM

LMAO!! :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Default Setting

Quote from: AS.12 on October 19, 2017, 01:05:42 PM
The Nene-powered MiG-15 rival was the earlier La-168 which flew-off well against the MiG but was scuppered by complex construction.
Could its construction have been streamlined? Or could it have been put into mass production regardless?

The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it.
-- Oscar Wilde

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Default Setting on October 20, 2017, 11:57:42 AM

Could its construction have been streamlined? Or could it have been put into mass production regardless?

That's the sort of question I'd have expected from someone else that used to be on here a lot..............................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

I'm going to step out on a (very) skinny limb here, and say that had the La-168 gone into production, the Red Air Force would make changes for more simplicity of maintenance in the field and Lavochkin would also look at streamlining the design to improve production.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2017, 12:20:28 PM

That's the sort of question I'd have expected from someone else that used to be on here a lot..............................

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, she'll hear you...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 21, 2017, 04:29:59 AM

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2017, 12:20:28 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, she'll hear you...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm glad someone got it.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

tahsin

Obviously, she is busy writing papers on the state of North Koreans.

And while she is not around didn't Republic have a tailed delta F-105 with maybe two engines? Yeah, Su9/11 equivalent...