Tintin: Carreidas 160

Started by strobez, October 18, 2017, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

loupgarou

Very good. And you have an eye for finding appropriate parts to join.  :thumbsup:
I'd say it's a Carreidas 320, looks bigger than the drawing one.
And the left-over parts fit well together, IMHO. An executive jet with a deep fuselage to carry your pet giraffe along... or to try intercourse positions in zero gravity flights...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced-gravity_aircraft
In this case, you should put mirrors (it's a classic) on the aircraft inside, and I'd suggest an Hugh Hefner-style paint job.  ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on October 20, 2017, 12:25:56 PM
Very good. And you have an eye for finding appropriate parts to join.  :thumbsup:
And the left-over parts fit well together, IMHO. An executive jet with a deep fuselage to carry your pet giraffe along... or to try intercourse positions in zero gravity flights...
In this case, you should put mirrors (it's a classic) on the aircraft inside, and I'd suggest an Hugh Hefner-style paint job.  ;D

You can get decals for that too.  ;D

See the black DC9-30 in the middle.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

strobez

After much humming and hawing (which is the biggest reason there's been no progress on this project lately), I've decided I need to cheat a bit on the cockpit. I knew the nose was a bit sharper than it should be, but it would require major, life-threatening surgery to try and fix... so we'll just have to live with it as-is. But by consequence, the cockpit is really too narrow for a 1/72 3-man crew. I guess i'll Just have to use the 1/144 seats that came with the kit. So, in that case, the cockpit will rudimentary and I plan to try and tint the windows to obscure vision. I usually hate blacking out the windows, but oh well....

Thanks!

Greg

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2017, 12:29:58 PM

AY!!! Somethin' fishy bout that one up top.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Spey_Phantom

interesting build, ive seen a 1/100 scale kitbash of the Careidas jet a few years ago on a french site.
bashed from a 1/100 Dassault Falcon and a 1/144 F-111.

http://modelbox.free.fr/dossiers/tintin/Carreidas_P/
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

That is too cool, thanks!!  The whole collection is neat... I've just recently been thinking more and more about getting a 1/144 airliner collection going then I saw these and now I'm more motivated than ever. And... if I don't get my hand on some sort of 727 to build soon I think I'm going to have a conniption fit.  Lost a 1/244 one the other day on ebay because the auction ended at 2am.  :o
-Sprues McDuck-

KiwiZac

Lifelong Tintin fan, lifelong C160 fan. Loving it!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 08, 2017, 08:45:46 AM

And... if I don't get my hand on some sort of 727 to build soon I think I'm going to have a conniption fit. 

The Airfix 727-200 is pretty good, better than their 737 IMHO, and Revell do an ancient -100 as well. It's not bad at all, and goes pretty cheaply on eBay. I've built two of the -200s, one in the Braniff Calder 'Flying Colours' scheme and the other in the Braniff 'Ultra' blue scheme, and both turned out well.

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 08, 2017, 11:56:30 AM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 08, 2017, 08:45:46 AM

And... if I don't get my hand on some sort of 727 to build soon I think I'm going to have a conniption fit. 

The Airfix 727-200 is pretty good, better than their 737 IMHO, and Revell do an ancient -100 as well. It's not bad at all, and goes pretty cheaply on eBay. I've built two of the -200s, one in the Braniff Calder 'Flying Colours' scheme and the other in the Braniff 'Ultra' blue scheme, and both turned out well.

I've been reading around others' builds and reviews and everyone is saying that all of them aren't that good but that the Airfix is quite bad, with the nose being all types of wrong. Revell's is better overall but also requires surgery, including fixing terrible gear.  Then, some of the other kits are so bad, that they aren't worth mentioning at all!

Of course... I've heard of other kits being piles of junk only to build one up myself and think it was pretty neat anyway... (like the Hase MiG-27...).   Being the only airliner (and only one of two aircraft I've ridden in, period, the other was a Cessna 172 Cardinal, a really cool plane) I  ever flew in I would like to make it the best I possibly can.

It was mentioned at one point, that, if possible, combining the Airfix and Revell is one of the better options but still leaves one having to fix things. Things like some part of the #2 engine intake, the top of the T-tail, the fences on the wings, etc.

Do I sound JMN enough, yet?  :laugh: :police: :laugh: :police: ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 09, 2017, 04:23:30 AM

Do I sound JMN enough, yet?  :laugh: :police: :laugh: :police: ;D

Yes.   ;D ;D ;D

They're the sort of complaints that relative newcomers to the hobby come up with when they're used to scale size rivets on 1/144 scale kits made by Haseujimiya. Those of us who've been doing this since the 1950s take such 'faults' in our stride.  ;)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

;D ;D ;D

I think I will aspire to get my hands on both, and draw my own conclusions after building them.  :lol:

Now, to tie it all together; Like DB Cooper, I'm leaping from this thread hijack.  :o ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 09, 2017, 10:25:44 AM

Now, to tie it all together; Like DB Cooper, I'm leaping from this thread hijack.  :o ;D

Oh very good!  :thumbsup:

You'll be building your -100 in Northwest Orient colours then, with the rear airstair open?  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2017, 12:29:58 PM

That same scheme as used on the VX-4 F-4J Phantom is/was available from Microscale in 1/72 sheet (72-137) and 1/144 sheet (14-137).

Here it is in 1/144 scale.

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!