Scalpel Blades

Started by NARSES2, October 20, 2017, 07:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Having been a solitary modeler, not by choice, since I returned to the hobby I've often wondered what other people use specific tools for ?

Anyway I was wondering what tasks people use the various Swan Morton scalpel blades for ? Specifically Nos 10, 11 and 15.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I only use the No. 11s, those are the straight ones, aren't they?

For anything else I resort to screwdrivers, tyre levers and hammers at the last resort.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2017, 07:55:10 AM

Yes. I use those for "precision" (that's a laugh with my eyes  ;)) ;) cutting. 10's for removing parts from sprues and other heavier type duties and 15's occasionally because I bought some by accident ages ago  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Well I use Swan Morton 10, 10A, & 15 for most general work.
I also use 9, 11, 12, and 15A depending on the specific job.

I also use my older XActo model knifes. Thanks to my late Mum and Dad, a gift for my 21st Birthday, along with the stereo music system!
It was a set of the three most common knife handles, No.s 1,2, and 5, in a nice wooden presentation box, which I still have!
I use them with 10, 11, 15, and 17 blades for the No.1 handle.
I use 18, 19, and 26 with the No.s 2&5 handles, and razor saw blades with the No.5 handle.
Then there are of course the various Swan Morton compatible saw blades from Aeroclub.

"Mac the Knife" aka JayBee/Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

scooter

Quote from: JayBee on October 20, 2017, 08:32:48 AM

"Mac the Knife" aka JayBee/Jim

Fixed it for ya.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2017, 07:55:10 AM

For anything else I resort to screwdrivers, tyre levers and hammers at the last resort.  ;D

I'm fond of C4 as a last resort.  But for cutting, trimming and cleaning up I tend to use either sprue cutters, single-edge straight razor blades, or an X-Acto
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Wooksta!

I only use the 15 blade.  Have done for a good five years or so because I find them a lot more versatile than other blades I've tried.

Plus I find them to be safer if you drop them - the curve means there's less likelihood of being stabbed.  Been there, done that and had it been an inch further, I likely wouldn't be here to key this.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: JayBee on October 20, 2017, 08:32:48 AM

Then there are of course the various Swan Morton compatible saw blades from Aeroclub.

I use a razor saw I got from Little Cars a few years ago, Very nice but I'm just about on my last baldes. Wasn't aware Aeroclub did Swam M compatible blades. Cheers Jim  :thumbsup:

Quote from: The Wooksta! on October 20, 2017, 10:21:52 AM

Plus I find them to be safer if you drop them - the curve means there's less likelihood of being stabbed.  Been there, done that and had it been an inch further, I likely wouldn't be here to key this.

I remember you telling me about that Lee, was a bit scary

zenrat

There are blades other than #11?
:o
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

rickshaw

You know, after over 40 years in modelling, I've read about all these different sized scalpel blades but never seen any description or diagrams showing sizes and shapes, so I have absolutely no idea you lot are actually discussing.  Does anybody know a website where the sizes/shapes are explained/illustrated?    :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 22, 2017, 01:10:07 AM
Here's Swann Morton's own site

https://www.swann-morton.com/product_ranges.php

What does it say about me that I immediately clicked on "Post Mortem Blades"...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on October 22, 2017, 02:46:08 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 22, 2017, 01:10:07 AM
Here's Swann Morton's own site

https://www.swann-morton.com/product_ranges.php

What does it say about me that I immediately clicked on "Post Mortem Blades"...

That you'd fit in very perfectly dressed as the Grim Reaper at funerals?  :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng