Seadude's surprisingly sensationalist........somethings?

Started by seadude, October 24, 2017, 01:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Did you gloss varnish the airframe before decaling?

It looks like the dreaded 'silvering' there, and usually caused by decaling directly over matt paint. AFAIK there's no way out of that short of prising the decals off and applying another set after glossing.

Since I started printing my own decals I've always scanned the decal sheet of any model I'm working with before using any of the items, then there's always some chance of printing off spares if you need them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

I find a coat of future usually works out most problems...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

seadude

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 01, 2017, 04:27:27 AM

No. Can't really do that as the temperature here where I live is in the 30's or 40's and getting colder and Fall is here. Anything I spray means having to open a window or door for ventilation so I don't choke on the fumes and that really isn't an option right now.

It looks like the dreaded 'silvering' there, and usually caused by decaling directly over matt paint. AFAIK there's no way out of that short of prising the decals off and applying another set after glossing.

Yeah, I am heavily contemplating removing the walkway decals. My only option is if anybody asks why they aren't there is to say the walkway stripes detract from the "stealthiness" of the aircraft. Or maybe I can say this bird is a prototype that didn't recieve further markings yet, or that it's a further advanced "Block 40" aircraft sans extra markings to make it more non-visually stealthy. Seriously, I get why the USAF put the walkways on there. They want the maintenance crew to only walk in certain areas on the airframe. But IMO, I think those walkways kinda detracts from the stealthiness of the aircraft and makes it more visible to an enemy.

Since I started printing my own decals I've always scanned the decal sheet of any model I'm working with before using any of the items, then there's always some chance of printing off spares if you need them.

I don't have the luxury or resources to buy another kit just to get the decal sheet out of it or to print my own decals. And the printer that I do have is already broken.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 01, 2017, 04:27:27 AM

Yup, i agree, should've gloss coated the whole thing before decals. Also, did you use any decal softener solution? That might help to make them conform to the surface of the model a bit better, even with no gloss coat but only if the paintwork is smooth enough.
You don't have to spray a gloss coat on, you can always apply it with a normal brush, right? Acrylic floor polish is a good option for that, it's self leveling and dries up clear and shiny.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 01, 2017, 11:12:28 AM

You don't have to spray a gloss coat on, you can always apply it with a normal brush, right? Acrylic floor polish is a good option for that, it's self leveling and dries up clear and shiny.

Absolutely! I always brush on Klear coats, Future in the US IIRC, and it levels up superbly. You just need to be careful not to apply it too generously as it's prone to runs if you do.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

seadude

I just did some checking in the kit instructions as well as research online. The kit instructions and decals are for the B-2 as it appeared during it's unveiling in November 1988. However, the kit instructions have one major thing wrong.........the B-2 during it's unveiling never had the walkways on it's wings.  :o  From what I remember, Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine managed to snap a pic of the B-2 from above during it's unveiling. That pic definately shows no walkways on the wings of the B-2. So.........problem solved!  ;D No need to put the walkways on.

The other problem: How do I take the walkways off that are currently on my model?

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

PR19_Kit

As they aren't attached too well, that's what the 'silvering' means, you may find they'll peel off with the aid of a scalpel blade under one edge. Soaking with water as a second stage is worth considering if the first attempt doesn't work.

Regards
Kit

seadude

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 01, 2017, 01:05:11 PM
As they aren't attached too well, that's what the 'silvering' means, you may find they'll peel off with the aid of a scalpel blade under one edge. Soaking with water as a second stage is worth considering if the first attempt doesn't work.

They've only been on the model for about 2-3 days. Water? Doesn't using decal settling solution also help "lift" off decals too if need be?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: seadude on November 01, 2017, 01:42:28 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 01, 2017, 01:05:11 PM

They've only been on the model for about 2-3 days. Water? Doesn't using decal settling solution also help "lift" off decals too if need be?

Yes, that'd help too, but I'm always at a loss to decide if the blue bottle or the red one is the correct one to use.

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

I'd use water if i were you, don't forget that the setting solution is to make the decal stick in place before a solvent is applied.
Water wont damage the paintwork unless you really scrape the surface. Like Kit said, try using the tip of the blade to lift it, after it's wet. But be patient and careful, it'll pay off.

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 01, 2017, 04:40:48 PM
Yes, that'd help too, but I'm always at a loss to decide if the blue bottle or the red one is the correct one to use.

The blue is microset, the one that helps with holding the decal in place, the red is microsol, again, like the name implies, it's the solvent solution that makes the decals conform to detail. Normally, the method is to apply the setting solution first, and the solvent afterwards, works for me.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

Warm water works best, unless you've already clear coated over it.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 01, 2017, 06:54:46 PM

The blue is microset, the one that helps with holding the decal in place, the red is microsol, again, like the name implies, it's the solvent solution that makes the decals conform to detail. Normally, the method is to apply the setting solution first, and the solvent afterwards, works for me.

Magic, thanks. I'm going to save that text as a file so I don't forget.  :thumbsup: ;D

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 02, 2017, 01:39:56 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 01, 2017, 06:54:46 PM

Magic, thanks. I'm going to save that text as a file so I don't forget.  :thumbsup: ;D

;D   :thumbsup:

seadude

I'm calling this one done for now.........unless somebody else has an idea or suggestion on anything to add? Finally managed to get the walkway decals off that were on the left side of the aircraft. ;)

seadude