Sky Pirates of the Nullarbor Coast: Kawanishi H6K5 (finished pics pg9)

Started by zenrat, November 01, 2017, 01:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 21, 2017, 03:24:58 AM

(is it me or is the dark green always hardest and most brittle)

Indeed, it's often harder and more brittle than your scalpel blades.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

It's certainly harder than my finger.
But why the dark green?
It must be related to the dye used.
There is never an industrial chemist around when you need one.

Blood was smeared inside the fuselage and appropriate words muttered before bleeding was stemmed with masking tape (the plaster jar is empty).

A bit of painting today.  Cockpit floor and fuselage interior.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 22, 2017, 02:24:27 AM

Blood was smeared inside the fuselage and appropriate words muttered before bleeding was stemmed with masking tape (the plaster jar is empty).

Most modellers have the perfect stuff for that problem to hand, superglue!

I've lost count of the number of times I've glued myself back together with the magic stuff.

But it's about equal to the number of times I've glued myself to a model too.......  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I know it is used for that purpose but it never occurs to me to do so.  In this instance all it took was a piece of tape pulling the 2 sides of the hole closed followed by another piece wrapped round the finger to keep the first in place.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

TomZ

Quote from: zenrat on November 22, 2017, 03:43:44 AM
I know it is used for that purpose but it never occurs to me to do so.  In this instance all it took was a piece of tape pulling the 2 sides of the hole closed followed by another piece wrapped round the finger to keep the first in place.

Funny thing is that that is what super glue was first invented for. The US military was looking for a way to patch up wounded soldiers while waiting for medical care.
And that is why we have super glue today.

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TomZ on November 22, 2017, 04:16:33 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 22, 2017, 03:43:44 AM

Funny thing is that that is what super glue was first invented for. The US military was looking for a way to patch up wounded soldiers while waiting for medical care.
And that is why we have super glue today.

TomZ

Really? When was that?

In the early '60s I was using similar stuff to bond strain gauges to test subjects, and it was called Eastman 910. It was just like present day superglues but cost a zillion times as much, my boss was always giving me a tough time if I applied too much 910 to a gauge, 'Do you know how much that costs?' he'd yell.  ;D

Regards
Kit

TomZ

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 22, 2017, 08:21:30 AM
Really? When was that?
In the early '60s I was using similar stuff to bond strain gauges to test subjects, and it was called Eastman 910. It was just like present day superglues but cost a zillion times as much, my boss was always giving me a tough time if I applied too much 910 to a gauge, 'Do you know how much that costs?' he'd yell.  ;D

Well, turned out I was not completely right but found this:

Superglue was first developed by scientists at Eastman Kodak who were trying to design gun sights for the military after they found that some of their failed attempts had other useful properties.
While the adhesive has become known for fixing pottery and clothing, during the Vietnam War, it became life saving. "If somebody had a chest wound or open wound that was bleeding," inventor Harry Coover once told the Kingsport Times-News, "the biggest problem they had was stopping the bleeding so they could get the patient back to the hospital. And the consequence was—many of them bled to death. So the medics used the spray, stopped the bleeding, and were able to get the wounded back to the base hospital. And many, many lives were saved."

See here:  http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a25067/the-surprising-military-history-of-superglue/

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

I have made a floor which will fit inside the fuselage adjacent to the new loading doors.  Easier than I expected as the sides of the hull, while tapered are straight.
Fred

zenrat

Floor made for inside the nose which means that after a another coat of paint I can close the fuselage halves up and then get on with firing the conning tower.
Fred

zenrat

At last, photographic evidence of progress.

It's a wing (and one or two clamps)!
Kawanishi H6K5 WIP 1-12-17 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

NARSES2

I did wonder why the price of those clamps was starting to rival Bitcoins in terms of an investment ?  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Heh heh heh.

I went with lucky bands and tape on the hull.
Here it is with the wing balanced precariously on top of the conning tower.  I may adjust the height.
Kawanishi H6K5 WIP 2-12-17 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

NARSES2

Why "lucky" instead of "rubber" bands ? Or don't I want to know ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

"Lacky" not lucky.  As in elastic.

F##king auto correct.

:angry: :banghead:
Fred

TheChronicOne

Cool!!  Have to concur on the conning tower. Seems a bit tall to my liking. Of course... if more "stuff" needs to go on it then by all means!
-Sprues McDuck-